Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lefty1991

Bedford Autodrome MSV 19th June

Post by Lefty1991 »

Anyone else going to Bedford? I'll be there in my rev3 turbo
HughesR1

Re: Bedford Autodrome MSV 19th June

Post by HughesR1 »

I might book onto this, is it the GT Circuit?

I've got a wedding/honeymoon to get out the way first but if funds allow it I'l be keen to get back out on track :D
1998 MR2 Rev5 NA (Road & Track)
1998 Porsche Boxster 986 (Weekend)
2007 Ford S-Max Titanium (Family Hack!)
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

HughesR1 wrote:I might book onto this, is it the GT Circuit?

I've got a wedding/honeymoon to get out the way first but if funds allow it I'l be keen to get back out on track :D

Yes it is the full GT circuit. It's my first trackday so will be interesting, good to find the limits of the car and myself and see what it's capable of
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Have fun, check your brakes, coolant and oil beforehand.
I think it's a fun track. (cos it's safe for noobs like me)
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

Its the perfect track for a trackday noob, practically impossible to hit anything and has a good mix of fast chicanes, tight corners, and decent straights.

I've found on a hot day it can be quite brutal on the cooling system as a fair bit of the track is wide open throttle, but as long as your cars in shape and you let it cool off every now and then you'll be fine. :thumleft:
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

HughesR1 wrote:Its the perfect track for a trackday noob, practically impossible to hit anything and has a good mix of fast chicanes, tight corners, and decent straights.

I've found on a hot day it can be quite brutal on the cooling system as a fair bit of the track is wide open throttle, but as long as your cars in shape and you let it cool off every now and then you'll be fine. :thumleft:

Thanks for the advice, hopefully the car should be up for it, I've done a fair bit to it in recent years so hopefully I'm the only weak point.
The wide open track and few barriers is why I chose Bedford.
Any more nuggets of wisdom are welcome
Ben

Post by Ben »

Lefty1991 wrote:
HughesR1 wrote:Its the perfect track for a trackday noob, practically impossible to hit anything and has a good mix of fast chicanes, tight corners, and decent straights.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully the car should be up for it, I've done a fair bit to it in recent years so hopefully I'm the only weak point.
The wide open track and few barriers is why I chose Bedford.
Any more nuggets of wisdom are welcome

Spend lots of time on Youtube learning the track, preferably with a map for reference. At 4 miles long it can take a while to learn, so if you know which corner's coming up next it'll really help you focus on your driving.

It's a great track. I really should get the Westfield up there, actually...

Otherwise, make sure you keep an eye on your track etiquette. You'll find in an MR2 turbo that you're probably one of the quicker cars on the straights and it's tempting to just blast away from everyone, but keep an eye on your mirrors. If there's a 'slower' car that keeps catching up with you in the twisty bits, let them past. Overtaking in corners isn't allowed, and as a driver of a relatively low-power but fast cornering car, it can be pretty frustrating sat behind someone who won't allow you to pass on the straight bits.
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Ben wrote:
. If there's a 'slower' car that keeps catching up with you in the twisty bits, let them past. Overtaking in corners isn't allowed, and as a driver of a relatively low-power but fast cornering car, it can be pretty frustrating sat behind someone who won't allow you to pass on the straight bits.

THIS........

Cracking track will defo have to get out there again
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

Very valuable advice ^^^

I can never find a proper circuit guide to the GT Circuit but I've got a vid from a few years back which should help you learn the track a bit. Not one of my best laps but its a decent camera angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6xze5JwqI4

:thumleft:
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

HughesR1 wrote:Very valuable advice ^^^

I can never find a proper circuit guide to the GT Circuit but I've got a vid from a few years back which should help you learn the track a bit. Not one of my best laps but its a decent camera angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6xze5JwqI4

:thumleft:

Cheers for that, Ive managed to watch quite a lot of videos to see the do's and dont's, great advice guys cheers
Now I just need to decide if there is enough tread left on the set of r888 I brought to last the day
MaryWard

Post by MaryWard »

Thank you for sharing the video, helped me a lot.
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

im looking into booking on this but slightly worried about the sound limits...

Has anyone taken a rev 3 turbo on here before with decat and aftermarket exhaust?

I've been to brands hatch (92db driveby) and silverstone and never had an issue with tripping a driveby - this is without even putting the baffles in.

Whats the chances that I'll trip this, even with the baffles in?
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

I did some test the other day with my car.
Berk decat and mongoose exhaust and got 94db static and 82db drive by,
I have brought two baffles for £30 just incase but don't reckon I will need them
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Bedford Autodrome are very serious about their noise levels. It's a giant PITA

I took a mate's Del Sol with a B18C6 and decatted standard exhaust - it was still too loud and I had to spend until about 1pm shoving whatever I could find into the exhaust system to make it quieter :lol: The lack of power when I finally made it on track was disappointing to say the least..
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

Yep and I emailed MSV to confirm the one strike rule... They won't even give you the chance to come back in and put baffles in.

I've decided to go back to brands instead as they offer you a fair few more chances, better than than losing your cash on the first lap :(
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

I agree that Bedford take the noise limits very seriously, but I've actually been told off for noise there before and still been allowed back on track. They're always going to say its a "one strike and you're out" rule, but for me they held up a big board that said "NOISE" and told me to lift off the throttle there. That was for open throttle body induction noise which is usually more of an issue than exhaust (For me atleast).

You can clearly see where the noise meters are at Bedford too :wink:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”