My fisrt MR2 - 1994 Rev 3 Turbo Tin Top

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

benfacer

My fisrt MR2 - 1994 Rev 3 Turbo Tin Top

Post by benfacer »

I finally bought my first MR2 two weeks ago, a lovely almost standard Rev 3 turbo. The only mods it has are a HKS filter and lowering springs.

I was very lucky to find a extremely well looked after example, with every receipt since it's import in 2005! Yearly service carried out religiously, always wearing Toyo T1Rs!

The front engine bay braces where rotted through (I hear this is pretty standard!) so replaced these

The brakes are a little spongy so have bought some new Toyota 5.1 fluid and will flush this though soon.

Unfortunately during the test drive it started hesitating and threw the error 52 knock sensor code. I managed to negotiate a discount off the price (I felt it was already pretty cheap) so I took the car with the fault.
I bought a new pattern knock sensor with some other bits as above from TCB parts (found through this forum, thanks!) but this did not cure the problem.
I started going through possible issues that could be causing this so replaced the dissy cap, rotor arm (as they where in poor condition anyway), fuel filter for piece of mind and got some ignition leads on the way.
From reading around I thought that the issue may be using a pattern part, so took a deep breath and ordered a genuine knock sensor from TCB. Wanted to replace the above in case there was a issue blowing the sensor before fitting the expensive one! Reading through many forums regarding the error 52 one user suggested getting a new sensor and connecting it, not installing it in the engine just running a earth wire to the block instead to isolate the sensor so there is no way it could see any knock. i did this with my brand new sensor and the error came up with a gental rev as before. I am guessing this is showing the wiring is at fault. I ran out of time yesterday (it was getting dark and cold) so going to check continuity of the wire this morning. Hopefully this is the issue as I should be able to get this re-wired quiet easily (got a couple of automotive sparky friends), I am running out of money to keep throwing at it!
I have had a few moments of full power (that start of the test drive was OK) and I have to say I was impressed! It is very frustrating at the moment thought I as I know that potential is there but I can't use it as running in safe mode!!

Overall I am very impressed with the car, and I am sure once I get this sorted I am going to be loving it!

Tried to add some images but won't let me as I don't have enough posts.
Last edited by benfacer on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benfacer

Re: My fisrt MR2 - 1994 Rev 3 Turbo Tin Top

Post by benfacer »

Managed to get some pictures in my garge if anyone would like a look.
benfacer

Post by benfacer »

I am interested to know what colour it is. Looks quite blue in the pictures, but is more silvery in real life. The wing mirrors and spoiler seem to be silver, as the door side trims.
JD

Post by JD »

That looks rayt nice. Tuned in :thumleft:
benfacer

Post by benfacer »

As some of you may have seen I managed to sort my knock sensor issues sorted by fitting a new genuine sensor and re-wiring with a shielded cable.
I also managed to track down the hesitation issue by finding the coil was very cracked and very foobared!

I replaced this with a nice shiny new one and it has been running like a dream ever since!

With the problems fixed I decided to deal with the poor feeling gear change. I purchased a bush kit from BRD performance Developments, although the standard bushes didn't look too bad this made a huge improvement! Much better feel than before, slips in and out of gear much easier. I do have the crunch from 4th to 3rd but only at high load so living with this for now! Going to try some Readline NS when I get a bit of spare cash.

Continuing with the problem solving I have tackled the issue of my rotten sump. This had been getting worse since I owned the car and I was worried that one day it would break through and dump all the oil!

I purchased a sump via the forum from Martin F (thank you! :thumleft: ) and had it blasted then powder coated. All fitted up with stainless steel cap heads for that extra little bit of bling! :wink:

The modding has also started! I managed to bag myself a absolute eBay bargain Blitz SBC-ID Spec R boost controller. Not installed 100% as I would like it (display currently stuck to the cup holder above the stero!) but all plumbed in and working!
Currently set at standard boost just with the gain turned up so gets there very quickly! Tired it at 15 psi but didn't feel a big difference so just running standard for now.
This is a great bit of kit! Can graph boost, and record inputs from 4 ECU sesnors. I have not bought the extra wiring to connect the sensors but will be purchased shortly!

I have also managed to bag a Fujitsubo Giken Ligais R exhaust in great condition! I got a de-cat downpipe with the car so currently having a flexi section added to this and will get these fitted soon.
Not looking forward to dealing with the 22 year old nuts as looks like the exhaust has never been off!
Very excited to see how the exhaust improves the car, as feels pretty fast already!
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

benfacer wrote:I am interested to know what colour it is. Looks quite blue in the pictures, but is more silvery in real life. The wing mirrors and spoiler seem to be silver, as the door side trims.

Steel Mist Grey SMG good colour, car looks great :D
JLW

Post by JLW »

Rob66 wrote:
benfacer wrote:I am interested to know what colour it is. Looks quite blue in the pictures, but is more silvery in real life. The wing mirrors and spoiler seem to be silver, as the door side trims.

Steel Mist Grey SMG good colour, car looks great :D

Beat me to it :) , same as mine, very difficult to match on a re-paint however as I have experienced !
benfacer

Post by benfacer »

Thanks guys.
You are not wrong JLW I think mine has had the front bumper painted so makes the bonnet look a different colour when it polished and waxed up in the sun :evil:

Just had a read of your build thread, your car looks great! :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Looking good man.

Panel spraying is always an ar$e because it's so hard to match. Mine had bumper and wings done as it had black bonnet. ...now with red bonnet it looks faded.....the irony being to correct I'd need to panel spray the bonnet!

Return to “Member Profiles”