[Mk2] [Generic] Retrofitting cruise control

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tiff_lee

[Mk2] [Generic] Retrofitting cruise control

Post by tiff_lee »

Hi all,

I have a Turbo import and want to retrofit cruise control, I have read various forum threads on here and other sites but nothing seems conclusive as to what is required or how to go about doing it.

As far as I can tell I need the control stick, cruise control ecu/relay?, actuator and then i'll need additional feedback from clutch and brake pedal. There is also the loom in the car which i've read is there but redundant if it was never fitted.

Anyone done a cc retrofit themselves?

cheers, Lee
tiff_lee

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Retrofitting cruise control

Post by tiff_lee »

So no one has ever done this?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I think thomp1983 did it.. But he broke his car so isn't here much anymore.

The only mention I remember of the subject is that fitting the Oem CC is a total pain and you may be better off fitting a generic aftermarket CC kit.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Still lurking rob, as of Thursday ill be back in the club.

As rob said i did look into it for my v6, the conclusion i came to was it's alot easier to buy a generic aftermarket kit and rewire it's switch to be operated by a camry or mr2 stalk.

Whilst retrofitting the oem kit will be possible the parts are difficult to find and there's very little info out there whereas theres no ebd of info on fitting aftermarket kits
uglee

Post by uglee »

I also looked into it, but for the hassle involved as above much easier to go with a generic aftermarket kit activated by the cruise stalks.

With the turbo you'd probably need a small vacuum pump (I got one from a range rover) as the actuators are vacuum driven. Bit of a problem when your manifold goes positive pressure.

Trying to find a stalk is like rocking horse poo. Took me quite some time to find one and may have it laying around tha garage, shall have a look when I get home.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Yeah from what I could find parts seemed thin on the ground and pricey while at the same time it not being entirely clear whats needed.

Will look into aftermarket kits then, I dont really want cc but the freeway speed limit here is so slow and cameras will do you for going 2km/h over... not mph kmh!?
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

tiff_lee wrote:... I dont really want cc but the freeway speed limit here is so slow and cameras will do you for going 2km/h over... not mph kmh!?

Not sure how many countries have freeways.... but for 100km/hr that is a 2% tolerance... I did not think car speedos were that accurate?
(instrumentation errors and variation with tyre tread depth,.... assuming you still have standard wheel size!)
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

I know it's an absolute joke, they also hide speed cameras painted all black on small tripods (not even a metre high) between and behind bushes but it's totally a safety thing, honest.

Return to “Electrical”