Transporting my MK3

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

antgman1

Transporting my MK3

Post by antgman1 »

Alright guys, my name's Tony. I've got a Lagoon Blue 07 MK3 that I've inherited off my Uncle as he hasn't used it for some time and he's no longer fit to drive anyway. Unfortunately the catch is that its not starting-up so I haven't had chance to take it for a spin. The problem with getting it repaired is that he lives right out in the Country in the middle of batsh*t nowhere so there ain't a mechanic in sight. I've had a go but my knowledge is limited.

I wanted to know if anyone can recommend a small transport trailer that I can load the car onto and easily transport it? I'd imagine paying for this service could turn out quite expensive so I wanted to see how that would compare to buying my own trailer and doing it myself. Depending on the style of the trailer, it may well come in handy fetching some of the other stuff from his house too as he's moving in with his sister due to his lack of mobility. It would therefore prove a more worthwhile purchase. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
antgman1

Transporting my MK3

Post by antgman1 »

I've been told it could cost over £200 to get a Company to transport it due to the collection location. I'm going to see if I can find some places myself and get a few quotes. If I'm paying that much then surely I can get my own trailer for a similar amount.
antgman1

Transporting my MK3

Post by antgman1 »

I've actually just found the log book and its not actually a 2007 model, It's a 2003 MK3. I thought the maths didn't add-up when my Uncle told me the date he bought it. Should have known from the 53 reg plate but never paid attention.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Re: Transporting my MK3

Post by Jaspa »

Try shiply.com you put up what you want moved and where from/to and then the drivers will submit offers to you.

Another option is to look into hiring a low loader for the day. I think LimeyMk1 did this to transport his mk1 but can't remember the cost now.

Stuart.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Jaspa wrote:
Another option is to look into hiring a low loader for the day. I think LimeyMk1 did this to transport his mk1 but can't remember the cost now.

Stuart.

This is probably your easiest bet if you want to move it yourself. Or, if you have a suitable tow car, there are loads of trailer-hire places around. Before I bought my trailer I'd hire one for sprint weekends, usually about £60 for a weekend IIRC :thumleft:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
JD

Post by JD »

I hired a transporter to take mine up to SBITS - it cost a bit extra for the extra mileage but hardly anything on top of the standard rate. It was a good experience and pretty easy getting the car on and off. I used these guys:

http://www.transporterhire.co.uk/
antgman1

Transporting my MK3

Post by antgman1 »

Heaps of help and suggestions so thanks for that, has given me things to ponder. Will sleep on it and have another look when I'm up.
antgman1

Transporting my MK3

Post by antgman1 »

Now I'm up and about i'll make a few calls and get a few quotes.
antgman1

Transporting my MK3

Post by antgman1 »

Didn't get round to making any calls or anything the other day and have been away to see the folks for the weekend. Will hopefully get chance later today.
antgman1

Transporting my MK3

Post by antgman1 »

Had some good quotes so far, a lot more reasonably priced than I'd expected.
antgman1

Transporting my MK3

Post by antgman1 »

Have slept on it and given the subject more thought this morning. I've decided to go-ahead and buy my own after weighing everything up. There were some really helpful suggestions on alternatives so thanks for those. I've found a trailer here for sale at £235 second-hand, free to collect. It's a 15 ft by 6 ft trailer in good condition and includes loading ramps etc for easy vehicle loading. It seems to suit my needs so I just decided to go-ahead and buy it. Should only be an hour or so's drive to collect it too so everything considered, it seems like the right decision. I'll have plenty of use for it as my Uncle has a lot of other stuff to courier. I've got room in our yard to keep it so I'm sure it will come in handy again at some point.
antgman1

Transporting my MK3

Post by antgman1 »

Will let you know how I get on with the transportation and repairs.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Bargain!
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

That really is!

I wish I'd taken my driving test a little earlier so I could tow stuff, I waited 6 months too long so now I need to do another sodding test just to tow anything :(
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Ekona wrote:That really is!

I wish I'd taken my driving test a little earlier so I could tow stuff, I waited 6 months too long so now I need to do another sodding test just to tow anything :(

I did the test was well worth it
Amd when you see some people towing you can see why it was introduced

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”