[Mk2] [NA] fob locking problems

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Kiefer

[Mk2] [NA] fob locking problems

Post by Kiefer »

morning all, since owning my 98 rev4 iv had problems with the fob locking on both of my fobs, basically all it is is i have to stand next to it repeatedly stabbing the lock and unlock button to get it to lock or unlock, some days its instant first push others not so much, i was hoping it was just a case of the fobs have weak batteries? or is it something more sinister?

TIA :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Re: [Mk2] [NA] fob locking problems

Post by SonicSW20 »

Have you tried replacing the batteries in the fobs?
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

i replaced one fob battery about 6 months ago went to use it and it wouldn't work at all, i looked it up and was told that holding both buttons down would re sync it? although it didnt work.. dont want to risk changing the other fob battery and it doing the same :shock:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Unlock the car with the other fob, open and close the door so it won't lock itself again.

With the fob you want to sync, hold both buttons down for several seconds, release, then hold the lock button *only* until the LED starts flashing. Press lock, then unlock.

IIRC, this only works for a fob that was synced with the car previously. There is a different process for a new fob.
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

thanks for that Gazza, il give that a try this weekend. on the off chance its not the fob batteries them selves is it anything on the door itself like a receiver for the fob? something i can take apart clean up or renew certain bits on that wear out? or is it purely going to be something wrong with just the fobs?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

It's more likely to be the batteries or the fobs, could also be the battery in the car itself if it's marginal. I guess it could be the TVSS receiver, not sure where that lives actually - I know there's TVSS box behind the heater controls, so that might be it?

I have one fob that desyncs itself several times a year, the other one works all the time though. No idea why, both have fresh batteries.
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

il try refreshing the batteries if that fails il buy a new fob and see how that goes, if no go il shall just have to live with it! small price to pay :D

thanks for the help :thumleft:

Return to “Electrical”