Barn find - finally daily MR2 again

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GreddyMR2

Barn find - finally daily MR2 again

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Ok for me it's actually not a barn find. Car was one of my friends and I know it perfectly. It was just standing unused for more than 1 year so I called it barn find :)

After I prepared my first MR2 for a track (which was daily before), I wanted another daily MR2 so much. I got this MR2 offered and I just couldn't resist :) Good price, some nice items fitted, just body shape is quite poor. But with some effort and money I will make sure it will be shining again in Spring. I can't wait to take a t-tops off and go for a ride :)

It has koni yellow shocks + tein springs, sparco bucket seat, custom SS exhaust, new brake pads. Also I got nice Kosei R17 rims with it. And there is "new" wing and front bumper as well, so I will only have to cut and weld it bit, repaint and it will be ready to go. Technically car is really in good condition.

So for now it looks like that
craig

Re: Barn find - finally daily MR2 again

Post by craig »

Wow, that's going to take some restoring!!

Best of luck with it. :thumleft:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

RedMR² wrote:Wow, that's going to take some restoring!!

I don't think I will go in such details as you did with your car, just want to solve rusty places and have a nice clean car :)
craig

Post by craig »

GreddyMR2 wrote:
RedMR² wrote:Wow, that's going to take some restoring!!

I don't think I will go in such details as you did with your car, just want to solve rusty places and have a nice clean car :)

Tuned in. :D
parker455

Post by parker455 »

Crickey! That'll be one project for sure.. What's the condition of it like underneath?
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

parker455 wrote:Crickey! That'll be one project for sure.. What's the condition of it like underneath?

I still didn't see it underneath. I know that both rear quarters are rusty. Also, I will have to change lower front radiator holder. And I'm sure sills are rusty as well. They don't seem to be from the outside, but I'm sure they are from the inside :) I will have some more detailed photos at upcoming weekend.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I'd be ditching the tein springs, the rates on those things probably barely match the konis at full stiffness!

Get something like an eibach or h&r (non race ones) and it'll ride lovely on the road. Well as long as the konis are still in shape that is :thumleft:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Race Idiot wrote:I'd be ditching the tein springs, the rates on those things probably barely match the konis at full stiffness!

Get something like an eibach or h&r (non race ones) and it'll ride lovely on the road. Well as long as the konis are still in shape that is :thumleft:

Do you mean teins are very hard? I didn't feel it when I was driving it sime time before. I think Weitec springs on my race car are even harded. But maybe I'm wrong, can't remember now. Maybe it would be worth to swap Tein springs to my race car. And they are a bit lower than Weitec.

Konis are still almost new :)
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

The teins are a non progressive spring with rates of

F: 154lb/in. 1.5"
R: 274lb/in. 1.7"

Wheras stuff like the eibach ones are progressive so have a variable rate
F: 74-189lb/in. progressive
R: 120-348lb/in. progressive

So they stiffen up under load but ride better over bumpy roads. Cant find the rates for weitec are or if they are progressive or linear springs.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Race Idiot wrote:The teins are a non progressive spring with rates of

F: 154lb/in. 1.5"
R: 274lb/in. 1.7"

Wheras stuff like the eibach ones are progressive so have a variable rate
F: 74-189lb/in. progressive
R: 120-348lb/in. progressive

So they stiffen up under load but ride better over bumpy roads. Cant find the rates for weitec are or if they are progressive or linear springs.

Weitecs are progressive. Need to decide now which would be better for my track car :) Shocks will be Ohlins inverted. They are really stiff.
JD

Post by JD »

Love it - although I have a feeling it's going to be entirely rotten throughout :-k

Best of luck, though :thumleft:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

JD wrote:Love it - although I have a feeling it's going to be entirely rotten throughout :-k

Best of luck, though :thumleft:

I will have a closer look at it and start working this weekend. I will take some more pics then :)

Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

GreddyMR2 wrote:
Weitecs are progressive. Need to decide now which would be better for my track car :) Shocks will be Ohlins inverted. They are really stiff.

Ooooh very nice, where you getting the Ohlins from?

It may be rusty but I recon a lhd eu mr2 is probably rare enough to be worth saving! :thumleft:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Race Idiot wrote:
GreddyMR2 wrote:

Ooooh very nice, where you getting the Ohlins from?

It may be rusty but I recon a lhd eu mr2 is probably rare enough to be worth saving! :thumleft:

I have Ohlins from my old JDM MR2 which I bought for engine swap. The problem is they are in need of rebuild now. But when they were working, they were amazing. Not comparable to Konis.

Well yes, lhd MR2s are more expensive nowdays and it's worth saving... In worst case I might buy rhd turbo with a good shell and do lhd conversion.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Took some more detailed photos today. There are some really bad spots, but I have another quite clean shell, so I think we will restore it :) It's not that bad I think.

There are quite a lot of photos and I upload them all to my page in Facebook so I think I will not upload them here. I'll just give a link.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 924&type=1
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Long time no posting on here, but that doesn't mean works were not going forward :)
In short, I found another black shell which was almost in great condition, bought it and then replaced all the parts into it.
So here are a couple of photos. Car was registered and MOTed today. \:D/

Still need to clean those old decals, give it a good polish, finish some other small things and it's almost done :) Then it's just a matter of fantasy and money, what I could do to it.

JD

Post by JD »

Saved! Great work :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Nice save. :D
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Cleaned those old stickers and gave her a bit of polish. Now it looks much more fresh! There is no such difference in photos, but in reality it made a day and night difference.
Now I am waiting for Magnaflow universal muffler to come and will be fitting it between header and HKS muffler. Hopefully it will make a nice solid note, because now the sound is really terrible. You can imagine how it sounds with a very small resonator and N1 HKS muffler.

Return to “Member Profiles”