Kiefers Rev 4 T Top turbo conversion project

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Kiefer

Kiefers Rev 4 T Top turbo conversion project

Post by Kiefer »

afternoon chaps, been floating around on here for ages and today decided to put my hand in my pocket and become a premium member and create a project thread of sorts.

currently own a rev 4 super red t top which is technically my third mr2 and probably the most fun car i have ever owned as well as the longest owned car, prior being a 523i e39 owned for 6 months which to me was a long time!

so to the mr2!

bought for a staggering £450 with no mot, just after the new tax law and seized front callipers, was found a few streets over from me in reading and for some reason it stuck in my head that i had to have it despite being tight and never ever ever ever paying that sort of money for what in the trade world would basically be valued as scrap.

so mot'd that weekend by a pair of lads iv been dealing with since i was a kid, brakes partially freed off enough to drive it, new front callipers replacement turbo discs and ebc pads, bish bosh on the road, for the first few months all i did was wash it and what a mistake that was, found the t bar seals leaked, sills were rotten to the core and lacquer peeled roof, plus every bolt/screw/nut was seized and rusted :@ but still i prevailed and bit my lip

so here's how it looked when i bought it after a few washes and weekends of machine polishing and waxing

Annoyingly a few weeks later someone reversed into my front bumper and ruined it so ended up sourcing a sard rep front bumper which i took a shine to and fitted that, my god what a pain removing the old one was! 4 hours to get it off and 5 minutes to fit the sard! ha

here's a pic of it with the sard from my slot on the track at japfest, some of you may have bumped into me on the mr2 stand :D

i now have a rev 1 turbo engine with bottom end damage (shells are shot) that im rebuilding and looking to fit, im debating wether to save and forge or just rebuild and renew with a Garrett turbo and keep the bhp somehow close to 300 as it is a daily and im not rich and plus im doing it all myself,

engine ecu engine loom and passenger loom with a ct26 turbo!

and right to date is how it looks now with pp spats, rookie skirts, standard wheels and tein ss coilovers on the rear as i've not painted the fronts yet

all i need to do now is finish the teins' finish the 17's that im rubbing down at the moment, and then spray it! iv got some ferrari rossa red but only a litre and it isnt cheap... i was thinking of porsche guards red 2k!
Last edited by Kiefer on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
markstevieandmads

Re: Kiefers Rev 4 T Top turbo conversion project

Post by markstevieandmads »

I remember this from japfest.

Bit concerned bout your mot tho. So your mates passed it,but you had dodgy brakes and the sills are rotten?

Maybe I've read it wrong.
:shock:
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

My mot's are not for you to worry about chap :thumleft:
markstevieandmads

Kiefer wrote:My mot's are not for you to worry about chap :thumleft:

Your right,not for me to worry about.....

However you have just admitted on a public forum that you have had dodgy mots on your motor..... :-# :roll:
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

Im sorry you've lost me, how have i admitted i have a dodgy mot on a public forum? brakes freed off and working, sills rotten, but not within 20cm of a suspension strut or seat belt anchor point, just because i said iv been using the same mot station since i was a pup does not mean i am receiving dodgy or bent mot's, it passed as it would in any other station...
markstevieandmads

I apologise if I misread it.

I have a bee in my bonnet bout dodgy mots since my mate died when he was a passenger in a car that was unsafe but passed a dodgy mot.
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

markstevieandmads wrote:I apologise if I misread it.

I have a bee in my bonnet bout dodgy mots since my mate died when he was a passenger in a car that was unsafe but passed a dodgy mot.

no problems, understandable reasoning, my mot'ers know my family and have knowm me since i was kid, they'd never mot something that was dangerous or had cause for concern :thumleft:
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

accidental double post
Last edited by Kiefer on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

so after havbing the sard on for a while had a slight ding dong with a kerb and destroyed it more or less, have since repaired and sold it

now playing with this kei office :D which seems to have an issue with fitting the sidelights in perfectly, they stick out past the face of the bumper :/

had a few problems with the primer reacting and cracking in several places

eventually ended up stripping it bnack as much as possible bar coating and repriming (weekend just passed)

no reactions! and no pics... :( haha

currently have a standard front bumper on removed from a white rev 1

looks silly but just a temporary means

i also bought a turbo engine lid rocking a blue brush painted finish, now flatted and primed

not much else done yet, other than buying another 3sgte and stripping it down ready for rebuild, also fitted a set of cheap 17" dezents and sprayed white, also have a set of meister s1's ready for the summer minus a repaint, more to come soon!

the dezents before paint

alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

holes in any part of the cill should have failed as its a structural part of the car. Mine failed on a little rust half way down the cill.
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

forgot to add this beauty of a dent..

last year during the mini heatwave i decided to change the suspension about 3 times in one weekend, finally on fitted the coilovers on the sunday, the hub brackets wouldnt line up with the strut, lost my patience a little and punched my rear quarter like a dipstick.. ](*,)
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

few more piccies

the new 3sgte fitted neatly into my boot :D

place of collection for the engine, a certain army base with quite a few tanks and giant trucks, had to take a pic even of poor quality!

the toms just after it had been slow baked prior to flat and polishing

and how it sits today! looking quite sorry for itself with that white bumper :shock:

a few work in progress snaps (poor quality)

and just a few more from the base

the sellers track mr2 very 'unique'

should have taken an engine bay pic, lot of effort had gone into it, with use of a turbo by garrett from an evo 9 iirc

And me! fumbling trying to switch the camera to the back wearing gloves, not one of my better pics i must admit..

Last edited by Kiefer on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

paintless dent removal guys should be able to sort out that quarter panel mate. I've used them loads of times at my carwash and they are stupidly good at what they do!
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

i've had a few suggestions for paintless dent removals! what sort of pricing did they do?

chips away quoted a grand total of £360 with keeping it in for 2 days :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Kiefer wrote:i've had a few suggestions for paintless dent removals! what sort of pricing did they do?

chips away quoted a grand total of £360 with keeping it in for 2 days :lol:

I only ever paid £50 a time but never had any dents as big as that one. £360 doesn't sound too bad. That's a sore panel to have dented mate :shock:
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

really? i thought the price was overwhelming, but it may be because i know exactly how they'll do it, how long it will take them and the fact i can do it myself for £0 might have a contributing factor to why i thought it overpriced..

the whole car needs a spray and seeing as im changing colour, il do the dent as im doing the rest of the bodywork
parker455

Post by parker455 »

Out of curiosity, what was the name of the guy you got the rev1 engine off? I think it's the same guy that bought my rev3 3S lump.
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

the most recent was a fella named windsor i believe? and the previous i think was luke?
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

alanmr2turbo wrote:holes in any part of the cill should have failed as its a structural part of the car. Mine failed on a little rust half way down the cill.

incorrect, anything within a load bearing or structural anchor point of i think 20 or 30cm is a fail, your failed because it was probably below the seat belt anchor
parker455

Post by parker455 »

That's the same guy :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”