Rev3 MR2 Downunder

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tiff_lee

Rev3 MR2 Downunder

Post by tiff_lee »

Hi all,.

Brief bit about me (zzzzz) , emigrated from the UK to Western Australia in January this year to join their Navy (former Royal Navy).

Had a couple of Vauxhalls back in the UK but over here they don't have any of the traditional 80/90s hot hatches we had, it's all about the V8 Utes and commodores etc which don't really take my fancy.

Anyhow after looking at buying a Lotus Esprit Turbo and conceding the fact that I couldn't buy one of them and my house I opted for an MR2 to give me that rear wheel mid engine experience (never owned a RWD before let alone mid engine).

Anyhow on with the show...

The car itself

I paid a pretty hefty fee for this as cars in general are more expensive over here and some models are quite rare, this being one of them.

The aerial is up as the previous owner went through the car wash with the radio on, I didnt get any pics but I fixed this the other day with a replacement aerial from the UK.

The interior was a bit minging and as you can see the drivers seat has been replaced no doubt due to worn bolsters or some such

The gear gaiter and gear knob looks like they have been fitted since the day the car was bought...

Replaced the OE steering wheel, although I dont think this one was actually off this car the airbag section wasn't even connected to anything

Both front strut boots need replacing zzzzz

Fitted spherical bearings to gearshift mech on gearbox, the mech in car will get an overhaul when all the parts arrive

As per a recent thread of mine the air filter needed cleaning/replacing

all cleaned although I will still order in a new one

The release mechanism for the engine cover/lid release was quite stretched and rather then do something about it you can see where someone has just been hanging off it, the outer part of it was being pulled out of the trim. Pulling the lever this far would only take up the slack in the cable.

said slack

and sorted

I'll probably do a similar mod to the bootlid and frunk at some point but no real rush as they still operate ok.

Put my recently acquired steamer to use and remove some old window tint and stickers that someone had just pulled off and left a right mess

LED strip ready for boot install (will upload an after install pic later)

I looked into buying some 'projector' headlights for my MR2 just because the light output is infinitely better than halogen, i'm not talking about a cheap ebay HID kit in the original housing I mean proper projectors.
Anyhow after looking into buying some 'gladfab' style ones he wanted a minimum order of 20 sets before he would make some again so I decided just to make my own.

Donor headlights, I didnt realise the glass had the marking in them, if the light output is distorted enough to bother me ill just make some new polycarbonate lenses.

and apart...

the parts

the shroud seen in the picture above will have 2 LED halos, one on the front which is white and blinks amber when indicating and a white one in the rear, it may sound naff but the LEDS are impressive and I think it will look pretty good when done....

I removed the headlight from the car and put my hand inside to see how much space there was behind the light, once I felt all the cobwebs I soon removed it, sometimes I forget i'm in Aus (Edit: There was actually a nasty spider at the back in the pic!)

Missing some pictures but I also bought some R32 GTST & GTR wheels for the car which I then had powdercoated satin black, not a brilliant photo but the only one I have at the min taken today

Yeah so nothing too exciting or ground breaking to see here, i'm just trying to get the car to a clean and tidy baseline from which I can then build upon.

I will say though in it's stock form the car is awesome to drive and great fun, roads round here are particularly slow compared to UK speed limits but you don't need to be going all that fast to enjoy this.
Last edited by tiff_lee on Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob66

Re: Rev3 MR2 Downunder

Post by Rob66 »

Very nice, looks like the double of mine :D . Look forward to seeing the lights installed.
WhisperingWasp

Post by WhisperingWasp »

Lee,

How did you sort out the slack in the "bonnet" release mechanism? Exact same issue with mine, have to pull on the louvres to get it to "pop".

Lovely car btw, must be great to drive down there :thumleft:
bigal

Post by bigal »

WhisperingWasp wrote:Lee,

How did you sort out the slack in the "bonnet" release mechanism? Exact same issue with mine, have to pull on the louvres to get it to "pop".

Looks like he popped in a plastic sleeve cut at an angle to provide a gap in the sleeve and thus allowing access to the slack in the wire.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

bigal wrote:
WhisperingWasp wrote:Lee,

Looks like he popped in a plastic sleeve cut at an angle to provide a gap in the sleeve and thus allowing access to the slack in the wire.

Yeah if you look again at the third picture you will see the small sleeve covering the slack part of the cable. I was originally going to pack it with washers but found that small piece of of nylon tube in my mates garage so put the diagonal cut in it just to ensure the cable would stay inside.
craig

Post by craig »

Looks a nice little project! :D
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

RedMR² wrote:Looks a nice little project! :D

Yeah I truly am a glutton for punishment, one more project that I don't need!
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

alright mate! I meant to message you on faceache the other day to see how you were getting on with this but it's "that" time of year up at work so you know how it is...

I've actually got a drivers seat to match your passenger one in my loft (I removed it to fit a fixed bucket) so if you're ever getting any stuff sent out you're more than welcome to it.

I'm interested in seeing what those headlights look like when they're finished, I'm really not a fan of the "quad" projector lights and I've not seen a proper projector in a stock sized housing over here.

P.s, have you turned the boost up yet? if not, why not?
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:alright mate! I meant to message you on faceache the other day to see how you were getting on with this but it's "that" time of year up at work so you know how it is...

I've actually got a drivers seat to match your passenger one in my loft (I removed it to fit a fixed bucket) so if you're ever getting any stuff sent out you're more than welcome to it.

I'm interested in seeing what those headlights look like when they're finished, I'm really not a fan of the "quad" projector lights and I've not seen a proper projector in a stock sized housing over here.

P.s, have you turned the boost up yet? if not, why not?

Ah nice one mate, i'm actually having a ST205 chargecooler sent over at some point and im dreading the postage on that, not sure how much a whole seat would come in at.

After I did some research it seems the 7x6 projector retrofit is more common than I thought, its pretty common in the states as the same headlight (7x6) is used in a variety of other cars/trucks.

No boost increase yet not until i'm totally happy with the way the car runs. Economy has been far worse then I would of thought driving off boost to and from work, i've had and look and can't see anything but after getting a whiff of petrol with the window down I need to have a more in depth look, i'd guess the fuel is just weeping out somewhere.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

tiff_lee wrote:
Ah nice one mate, i'm actually having a ST205 chargecooler sent over at some point and im dreading the postage on that, not sure how much a whole seat would come in at.

After I did some research it seems the 7x6 projector retrofit is more common than I thought, its pretty common in the states as the same headlight (7x6) is used in a variety of other cars/trucks.

No boost increase yet not until i'm totally happy with the way the car runs. Economy has been far worse then I would of thought driving off boost to and from work, i've had and look and can't see anything but after getting a whiff of petrol with the window down I need to have a more in depth look, i'd guess the fuel is just weeping out somewhere.

have you checked the lambda sensor is functioning correctly? when you're up to temp and cruising you should be on o2 feedback, if not that will effect your MPG. It is worth checking to see if the ECU water temp sensor is working too. but in all honesty, they don't do great mpg anyway. hopefully you don't have to drop the tank as it's a right ball ache.

also, with your proximity to Japan it may be cheap/cheaper to get used parts direct from there than from the UK.. I'll PM you with some details.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:
tiff_lee wrote:

have you checked the lambda sensor is functioning correctly? when you're up to temp and cruising you should be on o2 feedback, if not that will effect your MPG. It is worth checking to see if the ECU water temp sensor is working too. but in all honesty, they don't do great mpg anyway. hopefully you don't have to drop the tank as it's a right ball ache.

also, with your proximity to Japan it may be cheap/cheaper to get used parts direct from there than from the UK.. I'll PM you with some details.

Is there an easy way to do this? measure resistance or some such. I know these were common things on my C20LET and just used to rxr them as a matter of course.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

tiff_lee wrote:
Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:
tiff_lee wrote:

Is there an easy way to do this? measure resistance or some such. I know these were common things on my C20LET and just used to rxr them as a matter of course.

yeah mate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5B-uACxeHE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zSuYwfU018

I'm sure you've got a fluke in your garage that fell into your grip on your way off the boat :whistle:
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Sweet thanks for the links looks simple enough.

Actually surprisingly enough I already had my own! I weep for those who have to sign for a plr
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

tiff_lee wrote:Sweet thanks for the links looks simple enough.

Actually surprisingly enough I already had my own! I weep for those who have to sign for a plr

My PLR was about £100k last time round, but luckily it was stuff that was too big or crap to be worth stealing - like a general service pump (£56k)
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

I shouldn't of started this as I have 100's of other more pressing jobs (like my cinema room!) but with all the parts sat in the box I couldn't wait.

It's early days yet and I will put together a guide of sorts for those who need it although there is plenty of info already out there but then I had no idea until I started doing the research.

Good old halogen headlight

HID projector headlight oohhhhhh (in MR2 headlight housing)
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Was having some strange noises coming from the power steering pump so removed all the plastic cowling in the engine bay to check the fluid level but it looks like the motor needs to come off, possible bearing/bush failure (not sure which it is the EPC doesnt go into that level of detail only motor brushes).

In order to get the cowling out I had to remove the cusco strut brace, was good to see bolts with stripped threads, the laziness of some people zzzzzzzz

after running a tap through the threads to clean them up refitted the brace with some new zinc passivated bolts, much better

While the bonnet was up I decided to address the slack in the cable, cut a piece of a biro.....

and fitted

Attended a MR2 meet in WA, put the car on the dyno and clocked in at 221HP measured at the wheels.

Made a start on my headlight projector retro fit. due to how shallow the headlights are it is a complete ball ache. The projectors are a H4 fitment so if you had a deep enough headlight it is almost plug and play just screw the big nut on the end but with these there is alot of cutting required, as so....

After actually making the projectors fit I needed a way to secure them in position while I apply the jb weld/chemical metal/fibreglass etc
So I used some pvc pipe and a suitable end cap, then used the retainer nut provided with the projectors.

'secured' in place

The shrouds needed significant trimming top and bottom in order to get them to fit, plus I had to remove some of the profile on the inside of the front in order to fit the halo led ring, the notch you see is to accommodate the wiring.

Just a test fit to see how the black/white looks, the daylight you see through the back was just part of where it had been cut away and would be filled once the projector was fitted.

Projector final fitment after painting and the jb weld is setting hard as I type, that won't be coming out of that headlight now unless I cut it out.

Just waiting on a COB LED angel/halo ring now for the rear of the shroud.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Currently got the interior stripped out so I can fit my top gaiters dash cover while doing some other bits (gear shifter refurb and fit stereo system).

Decided to strip my aircon unit and replace all the LEDs and fitted additional backlighting, still retaining the green/orange colours but just better colour from the newer LED's although I may have to increase the size of the current limiting resistors as they are so bright it's offensive.

Fully stripped

Backlighting loom

Fitted

Before & after

Also did the separate aircon switch

Linkage removed for refurb

eurgh

I did buy an ebay shortshifter when I first got the guy but I may refit the shifter that as already in it
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Interesting work on the projectors good on you for having a go at it :thumleft:
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Ok I already posted this in my separate projector thread but putting it here for 'completeness'

Ok so repainted the shrouds satin black as I wasn't totally convinced with the white although in retrospect the white would of been just as good.

Front and rear cob LED halo fitted

Normal 'sidelight' operation

Indicator mode
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Yep these things are finally done and dusted thank feck what a pain in the a*** they have been.

Headlights re-assembled

a note for anyone else doing this and a mistake I won't make again is that when 'bonding' the projectors into the housing I ensured the light output cutoff line was in the same place as the original halogens, what I didn't take into account was this resulted in the projectors pointing off centre (downwards) so when it came to fit the shrouds with LED halos attached there was next to no give in them and I have to sand/remove a load of material from the bottom of the shroud.

So in short just ensure the projector is completely central and the higher cutoff point can be compensated for with the headlight adjustment.

Butyl strip to seal the headlights

used a little too much on one but its not like its going anywhere

The LED ring 'switchback' drivers were soldered into the removable part of the the indicator sidelight loom, turns out the reason my sidelights were not working was because the 'crystal clear' fittings were US spec and didn't have the holes although they do now.

Also good to see scotchlock bodgers are still out there

So that'll be why my indicators sucked

One of the corner lights appeared to be missing the correct fixing so naturally the previous owner just used whatever they could find on the floor smh

Another oversight I found was that when I initially checked for clearance in the headlight 'bucket' I didn't take into account the D2S bulb connector which is considerable, I removed some material from the bucket not just for clearance to fit it but to also allow movement when making adjustments.

I cut a portion from the bottom to allow the connector lead to go straight down, I could of rotated the connector 90 deg either way but would rather not put any stress on the D2S connector lugs as they are very very fragile and easily snap, I know.

I fed the cables through the headlight bay grommet and fitted the ballast and LED drivers on the inside part of the bay like so

I struggled to get a decent photo at all and the photos I have don't do them justice, they have come out rather blue (I really need to figure out how to use my DSLR)
most pictures turned out like this until i started changing ISO and shutter speeds (winging it)

Side lights

Hazard/indicator

Low beam

High beam

Return to “Member Profiles”