JAE 2015 Theme

The biggest and best car show in the UK!
IMOC - Winners of 'Best Overall Club' 2010, 2013 & 2014. :-)

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

JAE 2015 Theme

Post by Scott Barton »

Not compulsory...but great when everyone joins in as per last years 'British' theme...

This years theme...

Wild West - Cowboys/girls & INDIANS (NATIVE AMERICANS)

Get those creative juices flowing and get fancy dress inspired!

:-)
Last edited by Scott Barton on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
Turbo Dragon

Re: JAE 2015 Theme

Post by Turbo Dragon »

Does anybody want to go halves on a horse costume with me.......

Nobody?

:thumleft:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Turbo Dragon wrote:Does anybody want to go halves on a horse costume with me.......

Nobody?

:thumleft:

I really don't want to be your rear end .... =;
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

My outfit is almost complete, can't wait :lol:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

After this year's "hot topic" being the appropriation of native American culture (i.e insulting a race of people and belittling their culture by wearing sacred and culturally significant feathers/headdress "for a laugh") , a few Festivals have banned people wearing 'fancy dress' headdress/war bonnets etc. is that theme really a good idea? it's kind of like "blacking up" isn't it?
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

I really don't think a few people dressing up as cowboys and indians is belittling a race and making a mockery out of them??? :roll:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Scott Barton wrote:I really don't think a few people dressing up as cowboys and indians is belittling a race and making a mockery out of them??? :roll:

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2014 ... be-stopped

http://www.mtv.com/news/1837578/why-you ... addresses/

some people would man, in the same way it's not cool to dress up like the black and white minstrels etc. but, obviously, its your prerogative if you want to. i'm not having a go, just highlighting a potential issue.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:
Scott Barton wrote:I really don't think a few people dressing up as cowboys and indians is belittling a race and making a mockery out of them??? :roll:

some people would man, in the same way it's not cool to dress up like the black and white minstrels etc. but, obviously, its your prerogative if you want to. i'm not having a go, just highlighting a potential issue.

Are you joking? Do you think that a bunch of poms at a jap car fest are going to be brought to account by a bunch of people stating that dressing as native americans is disrespectful.

What are the Village People going to do? Next thing leathermen with big moustaches will be up in arms.
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

The world gone mad. ](*,)
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Scott Barton wrote:

The world gone mad. ](*,)

Those links are from Canada and USA, long shot to think there's going to be any controversy midlands UK.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I think Rob raises some valid points.

I don't see ignorance as a defence. To realise why a head dress is important to native Americans is to understand why you shouldn't wear one. But if it is making a mockery out of them Scott, would you still wear one?

From the BBC after Glastonbury banned traders from selling head dresses:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazin ... r-29643116

And:

http://www.gigwise.com/news/95794/ellie ... s-comments

There seems to be no parity really on what the consensus should be.

But some stronger viewpoints here:

http://nativeappropriations.com/2010/04 ... dress.html
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

If someone dressed as a Vicar, Nun or the Pope..are they making a mockery of Catholicism?
If someone dressed up as a soldier....are they disrespecting our armed forces?
If someone dressed up us Darth Vader...is George Lucas going to get the hump?
Dressing up as Superman is going to offend the family of Christopher Reeve as he is not longer with us?
Or how about dress in a kilt with ginger hair and stereotype every Scotsman?

I think a little sense and perspective needs to be taken here. Dressing up as a Nazi Hitler (Price Harry) crosses some moral lines yes, but dressing up as cowboys, indians or whatever is not being racist, disrespectful or not meant in any way derogatory in my opinion. A toy shop head dress is hardly authentic!

The world really is going mad! Lets just hang all the members of the Village People and be done with it. The epitome of American culture stereotyped!

:roll: :roll:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

My outfit arrived today... Woohooo ;)
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Dressing is Native Americans as they like to be called not Indians is pretty much as distressful to their race and culture as dressing as a golly wog in my books.
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

alanmr2turbo wrote:Dressing is Native Americans as they like to be called not Indians is pretty much as distressful to their race and culture as dressing as a golly wog in my books.

Distressful? Golliwogs? Seriously? Golly wogs are a fictional satirical character which was made into toys, 'Native American's' are an actual race of living people...I think they would be more 'distressed' to know they are being put in the same box as a golliwog!

This is exactly what is wrong with the world today, too much political correctiveness and pussy footing around all because they don't want to upset someone who more then likely does not give a damn. Its all how things are perceived.
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

So...ultimately I will have to bow to public pressure and the 'minority' views on dressing as Cowboys & more to the point 'Native Americans' (PC) due to my position of Chairman within the club.

To that end, the theme will this year be 'Cowboys/girls', which in my opinion is a shame and quite ironic at the same time.
The 'Wild West' was all about cowboys and 'Native Americans', and removing this element from the theme, is simply discriminating against them even more by pretending they are not present and do not exist.

Sorry everyone, no 'Native Americans' allowed at JAE this year. :roll:

All because it might offend someone who probably really does not give a xxxx.

This post sums it up (taken from one of the links that Lauren posted earlier:

I'm curious, though, where we can draw the line. Most St. Patrick's Day traditions mock the Irish (originally a shunned immigrant group). Carving pumpkins on Halloween is a direct appropriation of a practice with specific religious intentions. Popular secular culture has drastically adopted the sacred (to Christians) symbol of the cross, to tattoo it onto their bodies and string gaudy gold version around their necks just because it's trendy. (Christians would find any rapper rapping about his b****es and h*s with a cross around his neck utterly insulting.)

I'm won't even get into the appropriation and "secularization" of sacred religious holidays like Easter and Christmas. And it is a very debated topic at the moment, but Muslims strongly object to any visual representation at all of the Prophet, while cartoonists and others insist that this is a silly restriction for the majority of the population to have to abide by.

Clearly, almost anything you do or say could offend somebody. When does your right to have your culture/religion/ethnicity/history respected override my right to free speech?
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

If you don't like it, don't go.

Edit, well that's a good start to the best show of the year, bloody moaning namby pambies

Probably nimbies at the same time,

Glad I'd sorted my outfit as a cowboy, but I tell YOU this if I'd of bought a "native American" outfit I still would of been wearing it.

Now I'm worried I may lose sleep, fear of offending fictional character's.

I'll make a suggestion, if you don't like it

To the nay sayers

xxxx off then.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Now this has really wound me up.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Last edited by oukie on Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

oukie wrote:If you don't like it, don't go.

Edit, well that's a good start to the best show of the year, bloody moaning namby pambies

Probably nimbies at the same time,

Glad I'd sorted my outfit as a cowboy, but I tell YOU this if I'd of bought a "native American" outfit I still would of been wearing it.

Now I'm worried I may lose sleep, fear of offending fictional character's.

I'll make a suggestion, if you don't like it

To the nay sayers

xxxx off then.

Pretty much..

I'm cowboy ish.. but sure someone won't like it :) :)
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

I couldn't give a flying fluffyty fluff fluff, frankly what people think, namely middle class white people.

When Glastonbury was mentioned, my eye's and ears for that matter glazed over, probably one of the sixty five YES 65 people out of 65million in the UK who signed an online petition got trench foot there and felt the need, to who seem to care more about native American religions being be littled by some hair peice wearing drunk fool, perhaps native Americans are more concerned about jobs and paying the bills .

I have actually been to the US, met native Americans and have even partaken in the sale of their goods, God I must of robbed them of there heritage.

By law I'm allowed free speech, also an opinion. But unfortunately so are the fools peddling this twoddle.

Perhaps I'll bring my non pc t-shirt collection to JAE,highlights include Hitler's European tour (dates and countries included) or perhaps my good bush bad bush t-shirt, which has pictures of George Bush jnr and a ladies lower regions :thumleft:

There the mild one's.

Return to “JAE 2015”