New to the Jap scene...

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR_AJ

New to the Jap scene...

Post by MR_AJ »

Hi there, Im not sure which section I need to be in to introduce myself so if someone could move this post to the relevent section that would be great.

Im AJ, Im 27 and actually looking at purchasing something a bit different....Ive owned a total of 8 cars since passing my test 11 years ago, so thought about trying something Jap, now your going to have to forgive my ignorance as I know nothing about Jap cars so really wanting some expert advice from you guys.

Firstly I want to purchase a Mk3 MR2 (now am I right in thinking that the year 00-06 is mk3?)

Secondly ive been looking at the 1.8 VVTi...NOW...Is this a good car? good points? bad points?

And im looking at modifying it slightly but unsure which route to take i.e. turbo or just basic subtle performance mods

And is this model an ok car to modify and what would you recommend I do to it?

And finally wheres the best place for mod parts i.e lowering springs, exhausts etc...

Thanks in advance :thumleft:
JD

Re: New to the Jap scene...

Post by JD »

Hi. Not many Mk3 owners in these parts it seems :-k

If you've managed to find a car then I'd recommend making a thread in member profiles, or just pop into off topic and join in down there :thumleft:
synXero

Post by synXero »

Hi. I've never owned a MK3. When I joined this club (I had two MK2s, one after the other) I didn't have much respect for the MK3. It's a smaller engine than the MK2 and the looks are softer.

However, since then I've chased MK3s on the road and they really do look fantastic. The handling and dynamics look superb. They can definitely be tarted up to look a bit more aggressive and less pedestrian too - just make sure you buy one in a good colour combo!

As for modification, have a read up on the company Rogue Motorsport. They race a lot of MK3s and turn them into real demons. Of course there is cash involved in doing this. They tend to swap motors and/or turbocharge. Some V6s have been made too.

I think the MK3 has an awful lot of potential and you should try and drive one on a proper road ASAP :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Following up on what SynXero said a common swap is the 190bhp engine from the 7th gen Celica - gives a decent improvement in performance.

They're supposedly the best handling of the MR2's, but I've never had one come up at a tempting enough spec/price to make me buy one :whistle:
synXero

Post by synXero »

Stumbled across this :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn_HAvA33q8

Actually a pretty good review!
JD

Post by JD »

Mr.Two wrote:Following up on what SynXero said a common swap is the 190bhp engine from the 7th gen Celica - gives a decent improvement in performance.

They're supposedly the best handling of the MR2's, but I've never had one come up at a tempting enough spec/price to make me buy one :whistle:

a fully sorted 2GR or 3SGTE swapped one would certainly tempt me but I don't suppose they come up for sale often - not yet anyway.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I'd be happy with a 2GR swap in a lumpy old Volvo, never mind a lightweight roadster :lol: Suppose it would give similar performance to an Evora with the bolt-on SC kit

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”