Possible to wind odometer back

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CalMac

Possible to wind odometer back

Post by CalMac »

I've bought some Rev 3 turbo dials to replace the weird NA km/h set up which is currently fitted for some reason :-k

The turbo dials I've bought are at 300,000km, and the car has only done 155,000km - is it possible to wind the new dials back to match the car or will I just have to live with it?

Also, am I likely to encounter any difficulties swapping them over? Like speedo sensor/wiring differences etc.
2mad

Re: Possible to wind odometer back

Post by 2mad »

Yes its posable i did mine ... just need a small screwdriver ... iirr take the clock face off undo the 2 screws underneath for better access .. using the screwdriver pop one side of the numbers spindle out (the right side) .. and using the screwdriver wind the clock back 1 mile at a time , very tedious.

The pop the spindle back in a reassemble.. wish id made a how to vid not easy explaining the process in words :cry:
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Might have a go with a power drill then :lol:

Thanks
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Yeah 150,000k would take ages ... you can pop the hole spindle out and do it much quicker ... might be difficult getting it back in though .. i never risked it .
shinny

Post by shinny »

One mile at a time is a very long winded way... you can pop out the mechanism that interlinks each of the numbers and set it to any number you want, almost instantly. Gotta be careful to have all the numbers lined up when you pop it back in though.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Dials turned up today, and I'm a bit surprised to find that the speedometer is only marked up to 100 mph :pale: Why are there two different versions? I was expecting it to read up to 160mph :( Not that I very often go anywhere near that quick, especially in an old MR2 lol

I was after one like this:

Danny

Post by Danny »

The 110mph version is just a sticker over 180km/h clocks.
craig

Post by craig »

Was the one you bought pictured with 160mph dials?

They've sent you an import cluster with, as Danny says 180kmh speedo with a 110mph overlay face.

I'd ask for your money back.

Rev3 turbo clocks never had 160mph dials, this was UK only. Rev3 turbos had 180kmh dial face, which you can either convert it to dispay 180mph, or simply stick a 110mph (aftermarket) dial face on.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Bought from Rev5gt on here http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=179563

There were no pictures or details further than 'Rev 3 turbo clocks' so I suppose it was my fault, should've done my research as it seems I have indeed been sent genuine Rev 3 turbo clocks!

Both the photos were just from Google, but my dials look like the top picture. I assumed that they'd look like the bottom cluster - I should've learned not to assume things by now haha

Why were 160mph clocks available in the UK? Wouldn't be necessary on the NA, so did Toyota UK just have them made to fit to the turbos once they were imported? Seems like something most manufacturers would overlook. Good old Toyota :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

in Japan, they use kmh. ALL MR2 imports have 180kmh speedos as standard. 140mph and 160mph were only ever fitted to UK cars.

I have a 160mph dial on my rev3 turbo, as I bought some UK clocks and simply swapped the speedo unit and dial into my cluster.

Hope that makes sense.
Danny

Post by Danny »

The reason the JDM ones only go upto 112mph is all cars in Japan are limited to 112mph/180kmh by law.
Hez

Post by Hez »

Get a 160mph speedo face from a UK car and put it into your turbo clocks, easiest way
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

Id like to know how to do this too

My rev5 has 106000 on clock but i was given a spare set of clocks with 169000 as my speedo was broke so now miles are wrong :(

How hard is it on a uk rev5 ?
Hez

Post by Hez »

Its easy done this today, when i fitted new clocks, not sure if its the easiest way but works every time.
Take the speedo out of the cluster, take the needle off, undo the 2 small screws holding the plastic to the speedo mechanism and split them apart, take the odometer part and from the front carefully push the numbers you want to change to the side to free them from the teeth on the mechanism and roll the numbers upward, when you have the desired number sit it back into place and make sure the numbers line up of they dont try again.
Worked for me today and tested, best way to get your speedo accurate again is to go for a drive with the gps and stay at a steady 30 while ur mate puts ur needle back on at 30mph.
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

shinny wrote:One mile at a time is a very long winded way... you can pop out the mechanism that interlinks each of the numbers and set it to any number you want, almost instantly. Gotta be careful to have all the numbers lined up when you pop it back in though.

this...just did it myself as changing clocks. is mega tricky to get them lined up, but patience, gentleness, and persistance will get there you in the end.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Hez wrote:Its easy done this today, when i fitted new clocks, not sure if its the easiest way but works every time.
Take the speedo out of the cluster, take the needle off, undo the 2 small screws holding the plastic to the speedo mechanism and split them apart, take the odometer part and from the front carefully push the numbers you want to change to the side to free them from the teeth on the mechanism and roll the numbers upward, when you have the desired number sit it back into place and make sure the numbers line up of they dont try again.
Worked for me today and tested, best way to get your speedo accurate again is to go for a drive with the gps and stay at a steady 30 while ur mate puts ur needle back on at 30mph.

Well done Hez your a braver man than me .. but i only needed to wind the clock a few k .. if it had been like 50k maybe i would have risked it .. nice to know it works :thumleft:

Dont know about the needle thing .. never removed mine :-k
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

ok, i spoke to soon......my mileage might be correct, but it didn't go up on the test drive! doh!

if only winding a few miles its easy to do it without disturbing anything....i started doing that but it took about 30mins to do a few hundred and i got bored! so i took them apart.
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

I changed all the number and odometer doesn't work now and neither does trip counter #-o
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

I sorted it.

There are a set of cogs that sit on the odometer drum, the teeth alternating between thick and thin.

You need to pop out the shaft holding these cogs (steel spring bar May come off too, and the rotate number to desired mileage.

Line up the thin cogs teeth in a row at the top (12 o'clock position) which should line the thin cog teeth at the bottom (6 o'clock position) clip the bar back in and put the spring bar back on.

It sounds easy but it took me over 2 hours to figure this out and taking apart another odometer.

I'll put some pictures up later.
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”