[Mk2] [Turbo] Shiny new charge-cooler pre-rad

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

shinny

[Mk2] [Turbo] Shiny new charge-cooler pre-rad

Post by shinny »

So a couple of weeks ago something got kicked up from the road and broke my front lip: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=180702

I was kindly donated a new lip in the right colour by Howling Mad from MR2OC. However, when removing the old lip I noticed my charge-cooler pre-rad (a Cinquecento one) was past it's best. Given the lip was off anyway and I had been thinking about trying a mk1 focus RS pre-rad, I thought I'd make lemonade given life gave me lemons!

The RS core is very wide, so I'd need to lose my foglights. I drilled out the driver's side light, only to see that fitting the focus unit was going to be very difficult without removing the front crash bar. So I took inspiration from JimGTS's Monster Chargecooler build and decided to fit a shiny, purpose built core:

Unlike Jim, I bought my core from AVT rather than frozen boost. This was ultimately an issue of delivery times, so I could work over the bank holiday weekend. However I'll come back to the difference in the two cores later...

Pulling the old one out was not a big problem, and you can see how the new one compares. It's fractionally wider and slightly shorter but almost three times deeper:

Also, unlike both Jim and Toxo, I didn't remove my front bumper to fit the pre-rad. Having squeezed the pre-rad through the gap between the lower engine rad mounts and the bumper, the core is held tightly in place at the bottom, with just a little bit of trimming of the bumper required at each end of the core:

I then fabricated some mounts for the tabs on the top of the core:

Handily I already had the driver's side fog off, so could easily hook up the pipework. I did have to change the routing of the pipework from the passenger side to the driver's side and took the opportunity to remove the aircon receiver while I was at it. The lower hose fits straight in place, while two 90� 19mm bends perfectly line up to create an S-bend between the upper pipe and a hose placed under the fog:

There was a slight chance of the S-bend rubbing on the chassis, so I found some extra insulation and fitted it just in case. I also had to chop some of the black foglight backing to allow the hose to fit with the foglight.

I deliberately mounted the pre-rad upside down and back to front. This means the drain plug works very nicely as a bleed valve and made bleeding the system a sinch! Having the tabs to the front rather than the back means the core could be mounted slightly lower, allowing better airflow to the upper rows.

When I came to put the front lip and undertrays back on I found I'd pushed the bottom of the bumper forwards by about 2cm! So my undertrays aren't mounted as well as they previously were, but I think it'll all stay together. I got a bit bone headed and didn't finish until about 11pm, so my first complete photos was at night:

Those with eagle eyes will spot the protective mesh on the front, which came courtesy of Chris_9011 at JAE last year! Looking at it in daylight, it looks a little more stealthy that I was expecting...

All in all, I'm happy with my new shininess :clap:
Last edited by shinny on Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
shinny

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Shiny new charge-cooler pre-rad

Post by shinny »

So, I was wondering why my pre-rad doesn't have the same "big, shiny FMIC" look that Jim had. I started to look at the cores... I had always assumed the frozen-boost and the AVT cores were pretty much the same, or at least one was a copy of the other. How wrong I was!

Here's Jim's old frozen-boost core (26"x7'x2"):
http://www.frozenboost.com/water-to-air ... -1063.html

Here's my AVT core (23"x8"x2"):
http://www.chargecooler.co.uk/index.php ... ts_id=5459

The dimensions are similar, but the construction is pretty different. The frozen boost core only has 11 rows in it compared to the AVT's 19. You can visually see the rows are much thicker on the frozen-boost core which presents less surface area per volume of liquid for heat transfer. (Air cores use larger rows than liquid cores to present less of a restriction to the induction air, at the expense of efficiency) In fact the frozen boost core looks like an air-to-air intercooler core with smaller take-offs for liquid.

Maybe it's the lighting in Jim's photo, but there appears to be a significant difference in the quality of the welds too.

I had seen the frozen-boost core and then begrudgingly paid almost double that for the AVT core (ignoring delivery and import duties) purely because it would arrive in time to fit over the weekend. And I'm not saying the frozen boost core doesn't do the job. However comparing the two side by side, I think I can see why one is more expensive. Besides, once you add $74 of delivery plus whatever the import duty would have been, the AVT core is not that much more expensive really.

However, this means I don't get the same FMIC "look" as Jim did... ho hum!
Last edited by shinny on Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

You have done a really nice job of installing the pre-rad shinny , looks mint :thumleft:
Very strong fmic look from the front :thumleft:

Kev.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Get some mesh in front of it mate...so easy for a small bit of debris/ stone/ etc to fly up into it and wreck your lovely shiny pre-rad :thumleft:
shinny

Post by shinny »

2mad wrote:You have done a really nice job of installing the pre-rad shinny , looks mint :thumleft:
Very strong fmic look from the front :thumleft:

Thanks Kev :thumleft:

ashley wrote:Get some mesh in front of it mate...so easy for a small bit of debris/ stone/ etc to fly up into it and wreck your lovely shiny pre-rad :thumleft:

Thanks, but I'm way ahead of you :wink:

shinny wrote:Those with eagle eyes will spot the protective mesh on the front
ashley

Post by ashley »

:wink: :thumleft:
Nails

Post by Nails »

Looks good. I wondered tbe same about jims pics too as mine didnt look the same when ive fitted my radtec one either.
you've made me remember that I had planned for some mesh also for protection and then completely forgot.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Nails wrote:Looks good. I wondered tbe same about jims pics too as mine didnt look the same when ive fitted my radtec one either.
you've made me remember that I had planned for some mesh also for protection and then completely forgot.

Hmmm, I totally forgot about the radtec core! Yours are the first photos of one I've seen and it looks like a handy size. Maybe I bought the wrong radiator? How well did it fit?
Nails

Post by Nails »

I bought it 2 d hand and according the pdf I downloaded from rogue I was missingthe mounting brackets. Wasnt much of a problem as solved with 2 bits of straight bar from the bottom of the slam panel to the cross member. 1 pipe goes behind the foglight on one side which needed a little bit removing the back of the foglight and the other side goes over the top of the front chassis rail. I'd removed the aircon rad and other bits whilst I was on to make more space.
theres no bleed nipple on this either but hopefully will be easy to burp. Will be doing the final connections this weekend hopefully.
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

Is there a set place to buy a mesh kit for the mk2 or is it buy halfauds mesh and bodge on ?
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.
shinny

Post by shinny »

gerbil1028 wrote:Is there a set place to buy a mesh kit for the mk2 or is it buy halfauds mesh and bodge on ?

I would normally buy extruded aluminium diamond shaped mesh from B&Q. 500mmx500mm will do two SW20s. I cut it so that a section does half of the grill, remove the plastic guard in the frunk and drop it down in front of the radiator(s), securing it with a couple of cable ties.

This time I happened to have some black mesh given to me by Chris, so used that instead. I also fitted it in one piece form the bottom because the lip and undertrays were off.

I've seen people sell mesh kits made out of plastic netting that look much cheaper.
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

Shame there's not a simple pre cut kit.

Need to protect my new condenser.

How did you fix the mesh in ?
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.
shinny

Post by shinny »

gerbil1028 wrote:Shame there's not a simple pre cut kit.

I've seen them advertised. I think mine are cheaper and better. Just need to do a little cutting of the mesh. Not tricky...

gerbil1028 wrote:How did you fix the mesh in ?

shinny wrote:securing it with a couple of cable ties.

A few cable ties around the uprights and through the mesh are sufficient. I like the small black ones myself as they're stealthy against the black uprights.

That said, right now my mesh is secured purely by friction and that's not really an issue. There's a metal strip at the top of the radiator grill to "clip" the mesh behind, provided you've cut to the right size. :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

nout wrong with my old prerad.
:thumleft:

looked badass, and i had intake temps, running 400hp and 1.4bar of boost in the 30-35 area.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

jimGTS wrote:i had intake temps, running 400hp and 1.4bar of boost in the 30-35 area.

Nice temps, wish my gt4 could mach that :(

Return to “Modifications”