www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Ditch finders!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Driving Experiences
View previous topic :: View next topic  

This post is:
Great
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Stupid
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 4
Total Votes : 0
This poll does not expire

samgpr50

Feedback Score: 11

1995 Toyota MR2 MK2 BeamsVVTi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Ditch finders! Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Well I have always had good tyres on my MR2 and any other car for that matter until I got the new wheels. I was fine with them until tonight. They have a set of ditch finders on the rear and I found that it would spin up the rears in 4th gear! They will be swapped for the other wheels in the morning until I decide what tyres I want on them.

Be warned people the difference in the price of the cheap tyres for good ones is well worth it to save your pride and joy!

Sam
raptor95GTS

Feedback Score: 9

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

yeah, I've usually put mid range tyres on mine but this time round I might splash out and get some seriously rubber..
Draven

Feedback Score: 43

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

The 2 MOST important things on a car is Brakes and Tires.. [thumleft]
Keri-WMS

Feedback Score: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Worth bearing in mind that:

- OLD tyres go hard, and lose heaps of grip as a result. Sometimes if they have been unused the surface will recover after a bit of wear.
- NEW tyres will have both mold release agent and the small rubber "hairs", both of these will wear off.

....of course, it's also very true that some tyres are simply s###! [Mr. Green]
samgpr50

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Keri-WMS wrote:
Worth bearing in mind that:

- OLD tyres go hard, and lose heaps of grip as a result. Sometimes if they have been unused the surface will recover after a bit of wear.
- NEW tyres will have both mold release agent and the small rubber "hairs", both of these will wear off.

Yeah that's true. Well I think I'm going to order the new Hankook K120s tomorrow and see how they work out. Fingers crossed.
alanmr2turbo

Feedback Score: 10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I've had so called ditch finders Nankank NS2 on my MR2 tubby for around 8yrs (not same set lol) and previously on my BMW 325i and never once found the back end stepping out unless i wanted it to.

Yes tyres make a difference and yes toyo proxies might go around a corner faster but if they let go which they do then you are also heading towards that ditch faster.
[Laughing]
wikiz

Feedback Score: 7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I think though the way in which a tyre loses grip is important. You want a progressive tyre to try open that small margin which catches drivers out all the time when they experience snap oversteer.

Personally I am going for a set of Michelin Pilot Sports or Yokohama AD08R, not because they are expensive just because they have consistent reviews for being very sticky tyres, in dry and more importantly wet conditions

Now I am not saying there arent any quality tyres at a cheaper price Im just personally not willing to test a range of potentially worse tyres.
raptor95GTS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

when I got the tubby it had Bridgestone S02's on it and dear god they were brilliant tyres (15's too). Then after they were taken off the market Eagles f1's, D2's then 17's to get Eagles but they were D3's so not so grippy (had Yoko's in 15's, ok) Then Kumho's but I reckon yeah Pilot Sports or the AD08's just for outright grip..... damn that snow up here!

Might get a set of winter wheels and fit skinny tyres on them... if they clear the BBK....
gavsdavs
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

raptor95GTS wrote:
had Bridgestone S02's on it and dear god they were brilliant tyres (15's too).

Yep - miss them - they were excellent.

Falkens aren't bad, 452s are phased out but the 453s also look pretty good.
raptor95GTS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

yea it's falken 453's I have at the mo on the rears and while they are ok, they aint great but then it is a mid range tyre so it does behave like one
aw11rally

Feedback Score: 5

1984 Toyota MR2 Mk1a

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ditch finders! Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

samgpr50 wrote:
I found that it would spin up the rears in 4th gear!
Sam

What make are they?

I want some, it sounds like they go a long way to reducing understeer.
samgpr50

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ditch finders! Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

aw11rally wrote:
samgpr50 wrote:
I found that it would spin up the rears in 4th gear!
Sam

What make are they?

I want some, it sounds like they go a long way to reducing understeer.

Think they were fortuna. Not too sure though as they have now gone.
raptor95GTS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

gavsdavs wrote:
raptor95GTS wrote:
had Bridgestone S02's on it and dear god they were brilliant tyres (15's too).

Yep - miss them - they were excellent.

Falkens aren't bad, 452s are phased out but the 453s also look pretty good.

SO2 N3's are now being listed in 255x40x17................ in stock too with a few places... tempted but then what to get to match the fronts to them...
simpson_eh

Feedback Score: 26

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

got a set of ditch finders on mine at mo, Mohawks I think, everytime I come to a roundabout in the wet I can feel them sliding across the road no matter what speed lol understeer [Shocked] [pale]

got rainsport 2 on the rear which have yet to scare me
Red Devil

Feedback Score: 4

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

samgpr50 wrote:
Keri-WMS wrote:

Yeah that's true. Well I think I'm going to order the new Hankook K120s tomorrow and see how they work out. Fingers crossed.

I know several people who have the K110s and rate them. If the 120s are as good or better then you should be OK.

raptor95GTS wrote:
when I got the tubby it had Bridgestone S02's on it and dear god they were brilliant tyres (15's too). Then after they were taken off the market Eagles f1's, D2's then 17's to get Eagles but they were D3's so not so grippy (had Yoko's in 15's, ok) Then Kumho's but I reckon yeah Pilot Sports or the AD08's just for outright grip..... damn that snow up here!

Might get a set of winter wheels and fit skinny tyres on them... if they clear the BBK....

The only reason I use GS-D3s on the front is they don't do the Assymetric 2s in the required width. [Whistle]

Outright grip is secondary. It's all about feedback - knowing what the tyre is going to do. Also in the UK, with its changeable weather, the key thing to concentrate on is performance in the wet. Pilot Sports and AD08s are summer tyres - next to useless in snow. Furthermore no summer tyre of any make will perform that well in ambient temperatures below 7 degrees Celsius.
http://www.tyresforlife.co.uk/www/tyres_for_life_uk_en/themes/tyre-information/winter-tyres-misconception-en.html
raptor95GTS

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

red, agree with what you said. Feel is as important as outright grip, I just want a tyre that'll grip more than I'll likely use under normal circumstances and have enough grip for those OMG situations. Feel, yeah thats exactly why I dont buy Toyo tyres, jelly mould sidewalls. [pale] AD08's are rated to -7 I'm sure but aye not recommended for snow [thumleft] . If I could I'd have summer and winter wheels but I can't so it is what it is
hmltnangel

Feedback Score: 17

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I have the AD08s on the RX7 at the moment and they are superb.

When they're cold in the morning though - they are deadly.

It spins the wheels, like im driving on an oil slick every morning for the first couple of miles, then when they warm up...... they are a joy to drive on. Once warm - I have never made them let go.

They do wear damn quick though, 2000 miles for the rears I reckon.
synXero

Feedback Score: 34

2004 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

hmltnangel wrote:
I have the AD08s on the RX7 at the moment and they are superb.

When they're cold in the morning though - they are deadly.

It spins the wheels, like im driving on an oil slick every morning for the first couple of miles, then when they warm up...... they are a joy to drive on. Once warm - I have never made them let go.

They do wear damn quick though, 2000 miles for the rears I reckon.

I thought you were on A048s. Having seen your car and heard you describe it, I didn't realise the AD08s were so road un-friendly [Neutral] [Neutral] [Neutral]

Almost bought a set too, glad I didn't.
hmltnangel

Feedback Score: 17

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hmmmm, was I just rambling in a moment of confusion? You are right mate, it's AO48s that I have.

Oops. [Embarassed]
synXero

Feedback Score: 34

2004 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Different kettle of fish!

Bet they aren't good for -8!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Driving Experiences All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: