A year on..... 3SGE Fun times

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JesterTiger

A year on..... 3SGE Fun times

Post by JesterTiger »

So its been almost a year since i posted about the engine i was rebuilding. and got the MR2 on the road. been a good year for driving. lots of sunny weather. the idea of keeping the car stock went right out the window the first time i got on a MR2 parts for sale group on FB. like a kid in a candy store...bloody dangerous those groups are to your bank balance.
So its had a few "upgrades". Autopista rear wing. full Leather interior. Engine wise i stuck it on the Dyno/rolling road. not 100% sure theirs was a calibrated setup. looked a tad old.. but got a good base reading of 168hp at the crank. which for a almost stock engine at that point was good enough.. i then went a bit silly with stuff. Cusco air intake. HKS air filter. OBX Long 4 branch stainless header into 3" mid pipe. Toyosport 3" twin back box with 4.5" tail pipes (always said i would never fo "fart cans" but this sounds bloody awesome). also during all of this i went for something else to build and play with. getting a job in a motorcycle shop with lots of "toys" to look at and play with, i bought myself a set of yamaha throttle bodies. off a FJR1300 complete with injectors, fuel rail, MAP, TPS. and then to control it all i got a Megasquirt 2 with the V3 board. spent a while building it all up (its still being built. got lots of options and keep changing the spec) but i have test run it. it does work, it did take the code and base map. also bought a set of Yamaha R6 Coil on Plug units that fit the 3SGE cam cover perfectly. so it will have Sequential Fuel injection, and Sequential Ignition. this is due to go on the car in the next 2 months.. once i have found a TiG welder i can use to weld the intake manifold up to suit the throttles. (i have to be careful here. normally i wouldnt mind doing welding but half way through the year i had sudden heart failure.. came as a bit of a shock to say the least.. not something you expect at 36.. so have an ICD fitted to keep things running.. but means i cant weld or not use the ones i have anyway.) so all in all its not far off. and its not costing anywhere near the £6k+ people kept telling me it would cost. so far its cost under a grand. and i know its easier to throw a "Turbo" in but i really like doing it my way.. and i also dont want top end speed.. i have a clean licence now. i kind need to keep it that way.. heres some pics of the idea's i had before i started messing around and building.
the megasquirt kit...Image
and it built
the OBX header
FJR throttle Bodies -
R6 coil on plug -

will post more updates as i go.. next is to get the inlet manifold built and put on the test stand for fitment and plumbing.
synXero

Re: A year on..... 3SGE Fun times

Post by synXero »

Awesome. ITBs are quite popular on the beams, but haven't really seen them on a 3sge. Good on you, document it all well!!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

awesome man!! i love stuff like this!! also, you probably know anyway, but the engine is made by yamaha :thumleft:
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

What was the MS kit like to build?

Looking like a nice setup.
RST

Post by RST »

As far as I'm aware engine is Toyota though Yamaha had some dealings with the design of the heads etc.

I can't make out much else though. Can you perhaps post up with proper sentences you can read please as it sounds interesting.
Protok

Post by Protok »

Good work so far :thumleft:

Though agreed, more sentences would probably help a little bit.

Look forward to seeing what else you can do with it \:D/
JesterTiger

Update - ITBS on..

Post by JesterTiger »

OK time for a bit of an update..
The whole Megasquirt thing has taken a bit longer than planned. Did intend to have it all on the car running and dyno'd by now, but as things go what with work and such, its all got a bit behind.

ITB's are now on the car first.. manifold was made by a local engineering company, and whilst it looked good. it was only when i came to fit them, did it turn out someone down there doesn't know how to use a straight edge..
took some fettling but got it to fit in the end..
I have had to make a mount for the throttle cable to match the bike throttle quadrant, so it will pull cleanly and correctly.
turns out also i didn't take into consideration the angle at which the engine sat. and it makes the bodies sit at rather an interesting angle.
Car started and ran quite nice right away. tickover is manually adjustable now. converted the 4 wire TPS to a 3 wire TPS eliminating the Idle control part.
Startup IAC is controlled using the Yamaha version. a much simpler unit and comes off fast idle a lot quicker than the toyota one.
The ram stacks are straight out of the FJR airbox, and the position they sit in will require cutting a hole in the Turbo engine lid (had one turn up recently). will be mounting the HKS filter for the time being on a plate over the top.
Will also need a rain shield of some type i think.. last thing i need with this current weather is water in the inlet..
took some pics with the phone and a vid of the first start.. not perfect quality, but you get the idea of what it sounds like..
Semi before shot.. ACiS blanked off at this point.. (yes thats a Road sign.. an old one... only source of spare alloy i had around)
this thing about Yamaha and Toyota.. if it was a 3S-FE it would be Toyota.. 3S-GE is Toyota and Yamaha. lots of cambelt covers are branded Yamaha.. they wouldn't stick that on the side of the engine if they hadn't got very involved with it would they? (my head, cam-cover, pistons, cams all had the Yamaha 3 tuning fork logo on them)
synXero

Post by synXero »

That is awesome mate. Definitely my favourite engine on the forums just now! I like the crazy NA tuning.
RST

Post by RST »

That is awesome mate. Definitely my favourite engine on the forums just now! I like the crazy NA tuning.

...Ditto SnXero -love 3SGE builds. There must be some very cool engines out there from the snippits you see.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”