drag results on 29th

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mong

drag results on 29th

Post by mong »

hi all!!!

first things first!!!!!!

we were meant to be going on the sunday the 28th!!!! however i minor problem occured with one of my injectors and so the trip was postponed to the monday!!!

so the monday we went down a twas a really good meet`!!!!!

the VW GTI had there own section and the rest went into RWYB all of bout 30 of us!!!! so lots of runs!!!!!!

previous best was a 15.020secs with a 89.79mph terminal!!! on a stock motor with +25hp jetting

with 50+ jetting and a new mongspeed manifold and no T-VIS we managed............

14.439secs with a 96.84mph terminal!!!!

hoorah!!!!!!!!!!!!

however the day wasnt with out its probs!!!!! it rained a tad and i cracked the thermostat housing (yes the ally bit!!!!) which put an end to the days racing!!! unrelated to the nitrous just a 17yr old bad cast that had held on all it could!!!! so siliconed up a an easy drive home with no further probs!!!

tony
mr2mk1chick

Re: drag results on 29th

Post by mr2mk1chick »

oh-my-god
thats cool! =D> =D> =D> =D>
you will certainly give the mk2's a run for their money :twisted:

BRING ON THE NOS! :clown:

keep us updated (eagerly anticipated)
ps: are you planning running more nos? or further engine mods?
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

:shock: I'm impressed, well done! =D>

You've got me really tempted now! :twisted:

Tony, how accurate are these +25hp and +50hp jets? :? Surely it can only be a wild guestimate. But certainly your engine must be putting out a huge horsepower to produce these results. Have you got any plans to get it on an accurate rolling road?

Reason I'm asking is that I am sure Toni said that her SC (which has a dynoed 180hp) runs in the 15's, and you are well into the 14's.

Please also explain why the same jets produce more power on a forced induction engine, I don't understand that bit at all? :?

Tom
mong

Post by mong »

yes mate no one was more impressed than i!!!!

the extra flow at the top end without the T-VIS was better than id expected and the 50jets were just swallowed up!!!!!

as for jetting the figures given are the calculated actuall hp production if all the gas is burnt 100% efficiently !!! so 25hp jets flow enough gas to create an extra 25hp but this is never the case in NA engines as 100% burn never occurs etc etc the best ive seen on +25's is a direct 23hp gain on the rollers!!!!

however FI engines (esp turbos) create bigger gains as the intake temps are SO much higher..... hence the need for intercoolers!!!!!

im gona use some random figures to explain this so please no one quote me on the numbers!!!!

if for eg an NA engine takes in 20oc (degrees centrigrade) air its not gona be heated that much by it reaching the cylinder ...say 22oc so the gas injected in its liquid form boils off at -187oc thus cooling the intake temp to around -30oc so a total coolant gain of 50oc........however FI engines dont breath 20oc air in some cases it more like 500oc so the -187oc gas has a far greater effect bringing the temps down to closer 80oc this is a gain of 420oc and is as you can see a much more effieient air cooler than said intercooler which can usually only drop temps around 50oc :-k

hope that makes sense!!! so if the gas injected produced no hp gains at all the cooling effect will produce gains alone!!!! however nitrous oxide aids burning also so you see 2x gains..... the super cooling effect AND the burning gains!!!!!

and a FI car running 18psi boost we have seen proved gains of 53hp from a 25hp shot of nitrous and yes thats at the wheels on a rolling road!!!!

the more efficient an engine or the better it burns the more gains you will see!!!!! also the hotter the STOCK engine gets the more gains you will see or the more air you can flow the more gains you will see!!!!

now with all the top end of mine opened up im flowing (calculated) 20% more air than the stock lump so the gains made by the gas become more efficient AND secondary gains will be made ie with far less material in the intake (i.e no tvis, shorter IM, thinned TB etc) then the stoerd heat in these parts becomes less and so im experincing the same principal gains as FI only on a MUCH smaller scale!!

as soon as ive caught up on a few financial issues yes i will be straight on those rollers btw!!!!!

ive lightened my car aslo!! not track day stripped out but around 30kgs out of the stock car!!!!

hope this goes some way to answering your Q's

tony
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

#-o Stoopid me! Of course, it makes perfect sense now.

So for my car which is a standard SC (no big pulley or nothing) I s'pose I need go no more than +25hp jetting, yes? That should take me up to somewhere near 200hp right? (It's 145 stock). I wouldn't want to go much more because I don't want to rebuild the engine (again :roll: )

(Thanks for in depth reply by the way)
mong

Post by mong »

no mate!!!! you could very easily use more gas!!!!

superchargers dont generate as much heat as turbos AND you not using as much boost so your application with a 25shot will generate (at a guess) 30-35 hp taking you to around the 180hp mark!!!!

ive put 100hp through mine but was just stupid as it was uncontrolled and so only did it once!!!!!! car was all over the place!!!!

i would have no reservations putting a controlled 60-70hp shot on yours generating round the 250hp mark!!! peak mind it wouldnt be gerating that all the time on gas btw!!!!!

tony

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”