Suspension bushes

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

widster

Suspension bushes

Post by widster »

I recently posted for some advice on replacing the suspension on a Mk1b and it was really helpful. I am now trying to narrow down which suspension bushes to use. This will be influenced by price but i also want to use bushes that are not too firm and jarring.

I am v.tempted to use high and tight prothane bushes as they are cheaper but i assume that there could be differences in the way the bushes feel due to the materials used to give a more sporty or more relaxed ride? There do seem to be quite a few makes out there, e.g. superflex, powerflex, High & Tight prothane bushes and probably more that i haven't heard of?

Does anyone have more experience of whether the type of bushes used makes much difference to the feel of the car? :wink:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Suspension bushes

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I imagine the three polyurethane bush types are pretty much the same, with just the cost being different. They will firm up the ride and lead (IMO) to a lot more feedback through the steering wheel (but I did change my ball joints and trck rod ends at the same time). The ride will be a bit harsher but it is worth it as the driving experience is a lot more rewarding.

I have the H&T bushes on my Mk1 and they made a imense difference, for the better.

The rubber Toyota and TRD bushes aren't too expensive, however there are a couple that you can't buy without buying the whole suspention component (lower control arms IIRC) which is pricey.

HTH

Chris
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

To be honest widster, comparing poly bushes is going to be a tough job. I would imagine no two cars are the same now what with different shocks, springs, wheels and tyres and so on. I would go with the H&T option if I were you, as like you have mentioned, there a bit on the cheaper side.
Poly bushes are well worth the money and effort in my opinion.
widster

Post by widster »

Thanks for the replies. I am going to take your advice and try the poly bushes from High & Tight. Will let you know how i get on.

Widster :)
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

You know it makes sense. :wink:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”