Coolant system capacity

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ex_bo_driver

Coolant system capacity

Post by ex_bo_driver »

I'm about to do a complete drain, flush and replacement of the coolant on my Mark 1. Could anyone tell me the amount of coolant required to totally refill the system?

Thanks

Pete
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Coolant system capacity

Post by Lauren »

Its 12litres...

but you'll never get it all out. will be impressed if you manage to get more than 8litres back in when you come to refill.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
ex_bo_driver

Post by ex_bo_driver »

Cheers. I see a challenge :wink: - I'll let you know how I get on!
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

Watch out for the bleed pipes underneath the car. The bolts can corrode as they aren't well protected from the elements. I couldn't undo one of them last time but I wasn't that bothered as I used good coolant to top up.
As Lauren says...you'll never get it all out. The system is so huge you'd have to remove all the pipework to fully drain it. :lol:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

stevenb wrote:Watch out for the bleed pipes underneath the car. The bolts can corrode as they aren't well protected from the elements. I couldn't undo one of them last time but I wasn't that bothered as I used good coolant to top up.
As Lauren says...you'll never get it all out. The system is so huge you'd have to remove all the pipework to fully drain it. :lol:

Tbh i wouldn't advise draining from the coolant pipes that run underneath the body. Just do it from the rad.
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

Lauren wrote:
stevenb wrote:Watch out for the bleed pipes underneath the car. The bolts can corrode as they aren't well protected from the elements. I couldn't undo one of them last time but I wasn't that bothered as I used good coolant to top up.

Tbh i wouldn't advise draining from the coolant pipes that run underneath the body. Just do it from the rad.

Dont the pipes get rusty easily if not maintained? :-k
Do they rust from the inside out or outside in? Mine are pretty good....just the bleed bolts that were a little untidy. Although next change I'll have 2 new bolts to fit on them.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

If you're not 100% confident that the drain bolts will come out of the pipes, then I'd leave well alone - I snapped one on the slug in the first few days of owning it, since IIRC the Haynes manual suggests draining by emptying those.

Don't bother - better to just stick a hose in the filler and flush the system through.
feral4mr2

Post by feral4mr2 »

Lauren wrote:

i agree. i reverse the feral up on ramps when i do mine, drain from the radiator drain willy. makes it real easy when refilling too reversed up on ramps, i've never in the last 10 years had a problem with air in the system.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Yup, always get the back end up before refilling the coolant. I tend to use the bleed bolts on the pipes as I managed to get them off intact. :shock:

'radiator drain willy' :lol: #-o stupid filter!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Limeymk1 wrote:
'radiator drain willy' :lol: #-o stupid filter!

ROFL!!

err

:oops:

/guilty
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

ROFL! :clown: That's a real classic (I cnat type i've got tears streaming down my face) :clown:
ex_bo_driver

Post by ex_bo_driver »

Well, the coolant has now been changed and I succeeded in draining out (well refilling) 10.5 litres, so I'm pretty chuffed. I had to pass on the flushing of the system as I remembered that since moving house I have a hosepipe but no outside tap #-o However, the old fluid came out pretty clear so I'm too concerned.

Also took the opportunity to change the thermostat whilst the system was drained down and I'm pleased to report that the car now seems to be running at the correct temperature :)

Thanks for all the advice.

Pete
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

ex_bo_driver wrote:Well, the coolant has now been changed and I succeeded in draining out (well refilling) 10.5 litres, so I'm pretty chuffed. I had to pass on the flushing of the system as I remembered that since moving house I have a hosepipe but no outside tap #-o However, the old fluid came out pretty clear so I'm too concerned.

Also took the opportunity to change the thermostat whilst the system was drained down and I'm pleased to report that the car now seems to be running at the correct temperature :)

Thanks for all the advice.

Pete

I must admit that i do very little work on my sc but since the garage i use put a new thermostat in and did a coolant change,it has made a massive difference.
The car idles near enough as it should and the temp sticks at about halfway.the temp gauge rarely got above cold before and the revs where all over the place!
Just need to get the gearbox sorted and i will be back on the road again! having fun!!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”