MK1 Changing the heater matrix the easy way news + pics

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lauren
IMOC Committee

MK1 Changing the heater matrix the easy way news + pics

Post by Lauren »

This is a different way to replace your heater matrix in your MK1. The normal way is to remove the entire dash which takes a good 3 hours, remove the heater matrix slot the new one in then spend another 3 hours putting the dash back together and wondering why you still have a pile of screws.

As it happens after taking my entire dash out the first time round to get to a good condition matrix, I realised the the matrix simply slots into the back of the heater housing with just a couple of retaining screws that hold it in. So i figured that why not cut a hole in the front bulkhead and simply pull out the heater matrix through the bulkhead, slot the new one in and sorted!

Firstly i disconnected the hoses and then marked out where i would need to cut the hole in the front bulkhead.

Then armed with a 4" grinder i set about cutting out the hole. Its a bit tricky in places to do and you need to get the fusebox and vacuum piping out of the way first, but after chewing on a few hot filings the hole was cut. I should point out that because the heater matrix currently in situ was no good i tended to bend the pipes according to where i needed to get the grinder. The metal isn't that thick and the grinder goes through pretty easily. There is some sound deadening and stuff immediately behind the bulkhead but it doesn't seem to catch fire and handily the the heater matrix itself is a good 2-3" behind the bulkhead so there's no way you will damage the housing.

I wouldn't say its the neatest hole tbh and i probably cut it slightly bigger than i needed to, but really i followed the contours of the bulkhead.

And just as i thought undo the two retaining screws, one holding the matrix into the housing and the other around the left pipe and it pulls out. Slot the new one in, connect it up to the pipes and away you go.

In all honesty you could do it in 20mins if you are good. Would say 30-40mins is more realistic only because the hoses are a bit of a pain to get off the pipes.

Refilled the system ran it up to temp and hot air! :)

all i need to do now is make up an ally plate to go over the hole. The crappy plastic trim totally covers it so its not like its highly visible really.

Pics:

as you can see i cut the hole a bit bigger but you can see how far the matrix is behind the bulkhead.

Here you can see the matrix coming out.

The heater matrix housing.

New (well good condition) matrix now in. As can be seen by the heater pipe on the left, you need a bit more cut out that side to allow you to get the matrix in as once it starts going into the housing slot you can't wiggle it that much.
Last edited by Lauren on Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tony jinxy froude

Re: MK1 Changing the heater matrix the easy way news + pics

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

WAY TO GO LAUREN !!!!, that sounds pretty good to me, are there any wires behind the bulkhead that you need to be careful of when initially cutting the plate out ?, would love to see the pics, cheers, Jinxy
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:WAY TO GO LAUREN !!!!, that sounds pretty good to me, are there any wires behind the bulkhead that you need to be careful of when initially cutting the plate out ?, would love to see the pics, cheers, Jinxy

Cool! It was surprisingly easy really. Didn't see any wires at all. In fact there is a good couple of inches of air between the bulkhead and the heater matrix housing. So much so that you can easily see into the passenger footwell once you cut the hole, so nothing to hit that i could see.

I would have posted the pics up now but Mark left his camera round his parents (where we do all the car stuff), so will pick it up after sunday roast.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Sounds excellent lauren,lets have some pics! this has got to be easier than stripping the whole dash out...as for the anoraks who will probably say "thats not the way toyota meant it to come out".....go pay toyota £65 a hour to replace it and see which way you prefer.

Superb stuff lauren,anyone that makes working on the mk1 easier has got to deserve a pat on the back.
branny crashed turbo

Post by branny crashed turbo »

hmm, not sure id have the guts to take an angle grinder to my car body!!! :P

is it not a bit un-nerving?????
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

branny crashed turbo wrote:hmm, not sure id have the guts to take an angle grinder to my car body!!! :P

is it not a bit un-nerving?????

The hole is not much bigger than that of a car stereo, plus there is already a reasonable sized hole there anyway for the pipes to go through.

It wasn't unnerving at all and saved me a good five hours in messing around.

Return to “Mechanical”