mk1 does anybody elses accelerator stick?? (up)

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

branny crashed turbo

mk1 does anybody elses accelerator stick?? (up)

Post by branny crashed turbo »

when left for a while, the pedal takes a good kick.

anybody???
PW@Woodsport

Re: mk1 does anybody elses accelerator stick?? (up)

Post by PW@Woodsport »

happens on carboned up throttle bodies,plenty of wd40 and a toothbrush to clean around the butterfly will sort it out.
branny crashed turbo

ahhhh, cheers paul.
that probably needs sortin then... i was assuming it was a pedal fault.

its running pretty rough at the moment on idle.
it really struggles when there are electrics running.
the other day the revs were dropping when the indicator flashed!

you reckon the alternators shot??? or a good service might sort it?
when i can be ar$ed going out in the cold im gonna do oil and plugs.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

sounds like either the idle speed is set too low or the idle up vsv either isnt connected or isnt working....that should raise your rpm by about 300rpm when you apply an electrical load like heaters on,brake pedal,rear demist,cranking.

In case you dont know the idle up vsv is that little blue valve on your inlet piping with two wires going to it....its plumbed with vac tubing onto the top of your throttle body,maybe the engine could do with a good tune up as well by the sound of things.

To test it leave the car idling until its hot,then switch the heater blower on and you should see the rpm rise by a few hundred .
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

I also found this on my new mk1 when i first got it too, i also sprayed WD40 on the throttle body to sort it but it made no difference, only a new/2nd hand throttle cable sorted it in the end though, you may want to think about this. Its not a hard job, just a little time consuming, good luck, Jinxy
branny crashed turbo

i might have a go at spraying some WD on it first.
Should i just remove the air inlet pipe and literally spray a load in???
not gonna cause any problems am i?

in other news, i checked the oil level earlier... it was v.low :shock: i cant believe ive had it two weeks and i hadnt even checked it.
never trust traders.

ive been doing a lot of motorway driving with less than 0 oil, that cant be good.... :?
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:I also found this on my new mk1 when i first got it too, i also sprayed WD40 on the throttle body to sort it but it made no difference, only a new/2nd hand throttle cable sorted it in the end though, you may want to think about this. Its not a hard job, just a little time consuming, good luck, Jinxy

You don't wanna do it like that!

If you have to do it again Tony, just change the inner and leave the outer in place. Its a 20 minute job that way and dead simple. All you need is a length of cable a solderless nipple and a electrical connector block. The onlt thing I found was the cable I could get hold of was not braided like the stock cable so its a little stiffer, but the whole job only cost 5 quid. A Mr Woods tip of course, but common sense tbh. hth.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

branny crashed turbo wrote:i might have a go at spraying some WD on it first.
Should i just remove the air inlet pipe and literally spray a load in???
not gonna cause any problems am i?

in other news, i checked the oil level earlier... it was v.low :shock: i cant believe ive had it two weeks and i hadnt even checked it.
never trust traders.

ive been doing a lot of motorway driving with less than 0 oil, that cant be good.... :?

Its a good idea to have oil thats for sure and running below the minimum level isn't clever, but if you think about it 1 litre is what it takes to go from min to max so you still have 3.5 litres in there, so I very much doubt you've caused any problems.

Keep a keener eye on your oil levels in future though!

Return to “Mechanical”