www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Rode shotgun in a polics car on pursuit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Driving Experiences
View previous topic :: View next topic  

This post is:
Great
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Stupid
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 5
Total Votes : 0
This poll does not expire

Marf

Feedback Score: 4

1996 Mazda RX-7

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I think some people in this thread need to understand there is a difference between being allowed to drive a generic Panda car and a properly trained Police Driver, which is what Traffic are [Wink]
matt_mr2t

2001 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Marf wrote:
I think some people in this thread need to understand there is a difference between being allowed to drive a generic Panda car and a properly trained Police Driver, which is what Traffic are [Wink]

How would you spot the difference by looking at the car?

This is something I've never known, why are they referred to as Panda cars?
matt_mr2t

2001 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Panda_car#1.

I thought it was because they may have originally been black and white, but it sounded either too obvious or too dumb [Embarassed]
Marf

1996 Mazda RX-7

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

matt_mr2t wrote:
Marf wrote:

How would you spot the difference by looking at the car?

No idea to be honest, but Traffic Officers have 6 monthly training and refreshers as I understand it.
matt_mr2t

2001 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

From my friend google, a Panda Car is usually a small car used for transporting officers to crime scenes etc.

Traffic police usually have something different. So I'd guess things like Focus's and Astra's are Pandas?

I nearly always see Mondeo's, Insignia's, the odd 5 series and very occasionally, Imprezza's and Evo's.
rhamps

Feedback Score: 1

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

matt_mr2t wrote:
I usually yell and obscenity out the window at that point.

So you admitting to road rage lol [thumleft]
sw20GTS

Feedback Score: 5

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I've heard that Jason Statham was involved in giving hands on driving coaching with Jack Bauer and Jason Bourne sitting in as technical advisors.
matt_mr2t

2001 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

rhamps wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:
I usually yell and obscenity out the window at that point.

So you admitting to road rage lol [thumleft]

Almost every moment I'm driving I'm raging these days. There's bad drivers absolutely every where going to slow, pulling out, cutting up, not indicating.

At least now I have a shed I dont care if they drive in to me.
excalibur1814

Feedback Score: 1

2000 Toyota MR2 Mk3 Roadster

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Word Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Back in the day, when I owned the Ren 5 GT Turbo, I was filling the car with fuel (Which was probably leaking out under the car) when a young police officer arrived back from paying for his.

He looked over at the Ren 5, smirked, then proceeded to 'wheel spin' out of the garage.

[Applause] [d'oh!]

Silly, silly boy.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rode shotgun in a polics car on pursuit Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Olly P wrote:
His cornering was especially impressive. You can see they've been taught like racing drivers. There is no breaking at all except in a straight line. When he turns, it's all about feeding the wheel and applying power. None of this crossing arms and braking mid corner that you and I do.

Actually racing drivers do not feed the wheel and would never use the 'push-pull' method of steering. In fact you would fail your race licence if you did that as it is dangerous practice.

Braking into a corner, otherwise known as trail braking is actually a very useful technique and a more effective way of cornering. Likewise is a fixed hand position on the wheel, it is far safer and far smoother than shuffling the wheel.

Police drivers do not use race techniques, in fact they'd be far slower than racing drivers.

I work with the police on Friday evenings for a few weeks each year as part of my job. Last time I was out with them in a riot van, we'd gone a few miles away from our base to get an indian take out. Anyway there were we with enough takeaway for 15 of us in the back of the van. All of sudden the sergeant told us to hang on as we had to dash across town to try and catch a drunk driver. Cue lights on, rolling all over the place going round roundabouts whilst those of us in the back were trying to hold onto the curry!

Well it was quite exciting, though no mean feat to hang onto the curry. In the end the driver got away, but at least our takeaway was still hot when we got back to base. [thumbsup]
2013 GT86 Injen Induction. Volks Racing TE37s & TRD Aero Fins, Mega sounds. TEIN Street Flex 5/6kg, TEIN EDFC Active Pro. Tuning Developments Remap 4-1 Manifold, TD resonated exhaust, decat/overpipe, AP Racing 4 Pot front brakes. [lover]
a4ndy12
Premium Member

Feedback Score: -1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I'd like to know how you expect everyone to believe you were driving that fast through a city centre, through speed cameras and not chasing anyone.

As a police officer, if you were to drive through a speed camera at 90mph for instance, then you have broken the law, you are treated the same as anyone else who is speeding and have to make an appearance in court to substantiate why you were breaking the law. once the court has confirned that radio contact was made with the control room and there was good reason to be driving in such a manner in said case THEN you get the charge dropped against you.

Im sorry, I don't believe a single word the OP has posted here. Your "friend" who is a traffic cop wouldn't just "let you join him on his shift" - more than his job is worth mate.

this whole story stinks of BS
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Feedback Score: 37

1990 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Where does he say that he went through speed cameras at 90mph?
Ekona

Feedback Score: 0

2004 BMW 6 Series

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Two year old necroposting [Shocked]
Charged
IMOC Committee

Feedback Score: 18

1988 Toyota MR2 Mk1.5 Turbo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

splatadoo wrote:

Im sorry, I don't believe a single word the OP has posted here. Your "friend" who is a traffic cop wouldn't just "let you join him on his shift" - more than his job is worth mate.

this whole story stinks of BS

Not really, I'm in the process of arranging a drive out with the met police, a couple of lads I know have done it and found it eye open/extremely rewarding.
donna

Feedback Score: 13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

[Liar]
a4ndy12
Premium Member

Feedback Score: -1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

D4N_V_U wrote:
Where does he say that he went through speed cameras at 90mph?

It doesn't.

had you read my response correctly you would see that the first paragraph of my response relates directly to what the OP posted and the second paragraph is merely stating an example of how UK law works with reagrds to speeding in a police car, blues and twos or not.

The OP painted a picture of a high speed drive "on the limit" through a town and through speed cameras... this is simply not how it works. Public safety is of key importance and there is no way ANY officer would get away with driving any faster than is reasonably practicable for the conditions, surroundings and circumstances at that time, through a speed camera. no chase is worth risking the lives of the general public.

for these reasons, its plain to see that the op is at the very least, hugely exaggerating, if notcompletely making this fairytale up.
Retribution

Feedback Score: 31

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5IN8PnYyUQ

Haven't u seen all them reality tv shows where the camera man is in the back (uk and us)

If you was to go in and say you was thinking of becoming a PSCO and you would like to see what the work would be like then i think an inspector can authorize you to be in the vehicle with an experienced officer, cant guarantee it would be a traffic car unless you say ideally that this is where you would like to specialize if you went into the force full time

Just search the local force web site and drop them an email [Dancing]
stealth

Feedback Score: 34

1996 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

matt_mr2t wrote:

Have you ever seen one fail to indicate left at a round about holding you up?

Yep, also seen one on their phone while driving [Brick wall]
KarlBristol

Feedback Score: 33

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 V6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Marf wrote:

As a response officer I would like to point out that we are also trained to drive properly with blues and twos and advanced driver training. It's not just traffic [thumleft]

There is a ride along scheme in place where people can come along for a shift. It's not just a case of jumping in the cop car ... You fill out a disclaimer first and get some body armour! Lol.

Unfortunately it only takes a few bad drivers (normally not the blue light trained ones) to ruin the reputation of the others.
dazzz
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 13

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

KarlBristol wrote:
Marf wrote:

As a response officer I would like to point out that we are also trained to drive properly with blues and twos and advanced driver training. It's not just traffic [thumleft]

There is a ride along scheme in place where people can come along for a shift. It's not just a case of jumping in the cop car ... You fill out a disclaimer first and get some body armour! Lol.

Unfortunately it only takes a few bad drivers (normally not the blue light trained ones) to ruin the reputation of the others.

Sounds a good idea. Get a few of your mates together, a few cold beers and make it a day out. It'd be like a real life episode of cops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Driving Experiences All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: