Radiator Mods

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimi

Radiator Mods

Post by jimi »

Had to fit a new radiator as the existing one got stone damaged, it was only a couple of years old :sad:
Decided to do away away with the 2 heavy fans that the MK1 has as standard and replace them with 1 light weight slimline fan. Here's the original set up

Now replaced with this

One bonus is that the radiator complete with fan will now slip in from above, making it dead easy to change. 8)

To try and stop the radiator being damaged again I also fitted some mesh behind the grill
Here it is cut to size, done in 2 pieces to make it easier to fit, the join is behind the centre bar

and fitted to the car

I don't think any stones are getting past that :thumleft:
Last edited by jimi on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Re: Radiator Mods

Post by oukie »

Another nice mod Jimi :thumleft:

My Dad's got some weird ideas about light mods etc at the moment, must be something in the water in Glenrothes :lol:

Chris
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
jimi

Post by jimi »

oukie wrote:Another nice mod Jimi :thumleft:

My Dad's got some weird ideas about light mods etc at the moment, must be something in the water in Glenrothes :lol:

Chris

I wonder where he got them from :whistle:
thallanor

Post by thallanor »

Looks good!

Interesting thing I noticed, though: I have two MR2 MK1s - one the keeper, one the donor. Both have single fans. Were there any models that only had one? Maybe because mine is NA? Or is it a European thing vs. North America thing? (I'm in Canada.) That seems a stretch, but now I'm curious!
System-G

Post by System-G »

Looks good :thumleft:

I ditched the fans alltogether as they're not needed really needed. Even in standing traffic or redlining it all day on track in 30 degrees heat, they never came on as there was no need.

I guess they are needed in some countries though where temeratures are generally a lot higher than the UK.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Nice job there Jimi as always, have you seen my aluminium upgrade? They really are a work of art, but a little too over efficient if you want my honest opinion!

I ditched the fans alltogether as they're not needed really needed. Even in standing traffic or redlining it all day on track in 30 degrees heat, they never came on as there was no need.

G i would have to disagree with that matey, i don't know how you are getting away with that because if i leave a Mk1 sitting idling it will eventually heatsoak and overheat.

The fans are vital on all cars even if they rarely come on.

EDIT: Just thinking, you do know a Mk1 has a two stage fan control G? The first stage just whispers the fan at very low speed, you can hardly hear it run.... the second stage is flat out and then you can hear it.

Are you sure you haven't just not been hearing the first stage working?
System-G

Post by System-G »

My old red MK1 overheated when sat idling with the fans going - and yes you could hear them wizzing away.

They're not designed to sit and idle.

I've been running MK1's since 2005 with no rad fans with no problems whatsoever :thumleft:

Most of the race cars also have them removed with no probs.

So sorry Paul, we'll have to agree to dissagree on this again :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

System-G wrote:My old red MK1 overheated when sat idling with the fans going - and yes you could hear them wizzing away.

They're not designed to sit and idle.

I've been running MK1's since 2005 with no rad fans with no problems whatsoever :thumleft:

Most of the race cars also have them removed with no probs.

So sorry Paul, we'll have to agree to dissagree on this again :thumleft:

Then i'm sorry G but if your Mk1 overheated when idling and the fans running then it definately had another issue of sorts. A perfectly functioning cooling system will let a Mk1 idle all day long WITH FANS and no overheating!

They're not designed to sit and idle??? Are you mad? Of course they are! That is exactly what the rad fans are for mate, on ALL cars, not just Mk1's.

I'm not just disagreeing with you for the sake of it G, you just happen to be 100% wrong, sorry but saying rad fans are not needed on a Mk1 is just ridiculous.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

thallanor wrote:Looks good!

Interesting thing I noticed, though: I have two MR2 MK1s - one the keeper, one the donor. Both have single fans. Were there any models that only had one? Maybe because mine is NA? Or is it a European thing vs. North America thing? (I'm in Canada.) That seems a stretch, but now I'm curious!

You get that on MK2s with air conditioning, aircon cars have 2 fans where non aircon cars have 1 fan. MK1 could be the same but aircon is pretty rare on the MK1 isn't it? Bit of a shot in the dark lol, I'm sure PW can set us straight.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Aircon equipped Mk1's were only an optional extra in the UK from the Pinewood Toyota dealership, to be honest i can't remember if those particular cars were single or double fans.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

In terms of imports some S/Cs and super editions have aircon don't they? Dude's in Canada anyway so whole different kettle of fish
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yes the JDM and USDM cars had all of the options, it seems in the UK only Pinewood offered us an AC upgrade.
alfiembra

Post by alfiembra »

Jimi, we seem to be having similar problems got my rad in at Scotrad on Gorgie Road this week for a check up and repair. Think the bottom nozzle has a slight leak also got a dribble coming from the temperature sensor hopefully an easy fix. just ordered some 8mm water hose to replace the two hoses under the TVIS got a leak there too. Hopefully back on the road next weekend.

Alan
jimi

Post by jimi »

Alan
Let me know how much it costs at Scotrad, the radiator I took off is in pretty good condition, just weeping a bit. Might be worth my while getting it repaired :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

toxo wrote:In terms of imports some S/Cs and super editions have aircon don't they? Dude's in Canada anyway so whole different kettle of fish

Double fans from what I recall on SCs that we've had which all had climate/air con.

Pretty much every car (never seen one without it) imported from Japan has AC whether it's NA or SC.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
System-G

Post by System-G »

PW@Woodsport wrote: you just happen to be 100% wrong, sorry but saying rad fans are not needed on a Mk1 is just ridiculous.

OK Paul, you're god and can't be wrong :thumleft:
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

System-G wrote:
PW@Woodsport wrote: you just happen to be 100% wrong, sorry but saying rad fans are not needed on a Mk1 is just ridiculous.

I agree with paul.

If your cooling system is running perfectly, you can get away without fans whilst driving, BUT, if your stationary for too long the temps will rise, on a cold day not so much, but in traffic, and stationary it rises.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

System-G wrote:

Far from it, but not on this occassion mate, all cars need rad fans, that is a fact, also saying mk1's aren't designed to sit and idle is never going to be something anyone could possibly agree with,sorry
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

got to say ive never had the fans come on with either of my mk1's. if anything the standard cooling system is over efficent when its all cleaned out and working properly. thats the problem though most mk1 cooling systems are rotting away inside and a god awful mess.
4agte on the way
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

You aren't hearing them come on because you can't, they are a two stage relay controlled fan. The first stage is whisper quiet and is usually all that is needed to keep the temps low at idle, you can't hear this first stage with the engine running and bonnet closed. It is only the flat out second stage you can hear and that rarely comes on due to it being over efficient (when working correctly)

Without fans and sitting idling there is nothing to lower the coolant temp at all, and it WILL eventually heatsoak and overheat, sorry but it just will.

I have no idea why anyone would want to run without rad fans anyway? Maybe to lose a few kilos on a track car? Personally i'd rather go on a diet and keep my fans.

God out.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”