ZS180 pretty quick motors

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

What you think?

They're a rover in drag and poo
No votes

Total votes: 0

cdti

ZS180 pretty quick motors

Post by cdti »

Well, my mums got one, and what can I say. Can't praise it enough really. It is about neck and neck up to about 100 with me in my Rev3 (all on private runway of course). But the in gear acceleration is much better than the 22. And the handling is pretty damn good too.

Ive just got back from a 400 mile round trip and it was absolutely effortless, didn't miss a beat. It sat at 3 figures speeds for a long time and the fuel economy wasnt too shabby either.

What you guys think about them?
JayUK91

Re: ZS180 pretty quick motors

Post by JayUK91 »

I'd expect no less from a 2.5 V6 to be honest. I'm not a fan, but the specs (considering it's pretty much a Rover) aren't too shabby.

Y'know what the look of them reminds me of...a cheap chinese knock-off of an Impreza! 8)
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I drove one round Brands for a few laps to warm up for an F3 car. IMO it was pretty slow and 180bhp from a 2.5 V6 is actually very very weak.

What I would say though is if you forget it's shortcomings in those respects, it's a nice car. It felt solid, comfortable, stable. I wouldnt rule out owning one.

Although I'd probably opt for the 130bhp Diesel.
cdti

Post by cdti »

They didnt do a 130bhp diesel, only 99/111bhp diesels. Im really considering selling my N/A and buying my mums car off her. Considering its main rivals are Mondeo's, Vectras etc, its better priced and quicker. Obviously compared to a Turbo, its definitely going to feel slower, but when you boot it, there's definitely a sense of acceleration.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

cdti wrote:They didnt do a 130bhp diesel, only 99/111bhp diesels. Im really considering selling my N/A and buying my mums car off her. Considering its main rivals are Mondeo's, Vectras etc, its better priced and quicker. Obviously compared to a Turbo, its definitely going to feel slower, but when you boot it, there's definitely a sense of acceleration.

Must've read the specs wrong. It'll probably have a heck of a lot more torque than the V6 and will be more economical, while retaining the looks. It'll be cheaper to insure, cheaper to tax and IMO, just makes much more sense.

If you want something that feels quick, get a Clio 172, which is smaller and lighter with about the same power, less thirsty and cheaper to run.

The V6 just doesn't make a great deal of sense to me.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

cdti wrote:Well, my mums got one, and what can I say. Can't praise it enough really. It is about neck and neck up to about 100 with me in my Rev3 (all on private runway of course).

My experience of them differs... had some guy try it on in one and I pulled away and later discovered I was only running on 3 and a bit cylinders because one of my HT leads had popped off ;)
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

matt_mr2t wrote:
cdti wrote:They didnt do a 130bhp diesel, only 99/111bhp diesels. Im really considering selling my N/A and buying my mums car off her. Considering its main rivals are Mondeo's, Vectras etc, its better priced and quicker. Obviously compared to a Turbo, its definitely going to feel slower, but when you boot it, there's definitely a sense of acceleration.

Must've read the specs wrong. It'll probably have a heck of a lot more torque than the V6 and will be more economical, while retaining the looks. It'll be cheaper to insure, cheaper to tax and IMO, just makes much more sense.

Indeed they don't have a 130bhp one but a mere £40 on 4 injectors from earlier rover diesels and a tweak to the boost actuator will get you 130bhp from a 99bhp model and 140bhp from the 111 model. :)

I've got a rover 45td, with the zs180 suspension (similar engine weights mean its a no brainer upgrade). I can easily get 50+mpg and a remap will net me 155bhp, while still all looking standard in the engine bay lol.
cdti

Post by cdti »

aye sdi injectors are probably the single best mod on the diesels.

I have a rev 3 n/a and my mum has the 180, the 180 was quicker in all scenarios.
JJ

Post by JJ »

I remember the road tests on these and was well commended for handling... Sure its a MG / Rover thing, but under pinnings is originally a Honda Civic, so double wishbone / multilink suspension all round and quite a gutsy engine.... Probably get more out of it if they tried ! :mrgreen:

Not sure of the integrity of it... ignore the badge, they're not a bad car !

Is it the final edition with the big grills in the front wings ! ??! :mrgreen:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

All the ZS180s I've seen have had vented wings :-k

I now see why the OP was posting a different experience to me, as he has an N/A MR2! Would explain the difference somewhat
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
cdti

Post by cdti »

MK1 were the ones with twin front headlights, no vented wings etc. MK2 were much more sleek and modern looking, but they also command a higher price, unfortunately can't afford one.

Yes the underpinnings are pretty much honda civic, but MG/R worked wonders on the suspension and it shows as it was praised highly by the press and journalists on its release and its an absolute joy to drive. Sure the engine can give more, and thats been proven, with a simple induction and exhaust mod, 190 is easily achievable. But I gotta say its not really 'underpowered' just compare it to other manufacturers who have 2.5 6 pots in there range, the highest powered one I can think of off the top of my head is bmw's straight six with 193hp.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Funnily enough, I've been looking at these recently. The only similar car you can get for the money would be an ST24 (170ish bhp) or an ST200 (200bhp) from 2.5 V6 engines. It would be a fair few years older than an MG of the same price though.
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
cdti

Post by cdti »

Aye your right, but I dont think there as quick as the MG, and I foubt there as much fun to drive
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

JJ wrote:I remember the road tests on these and was well commended for handling... Sure its a MG / Rover thing, but under pinnings is originally a Honda Civic, so double wishbone / multilink suspension all round and quite a gutsy engine.... Probably get more out of it if they tried ! :mrgreen:

Not sure of the integrity of it... ignore the badge, they're not a bad car !

Is it the final edition with the big grills in the front wings ! ??! :mrgreen:

Also to remember is the civic shares an almost identical chassis with the DC2 Integra type R, arguably the best FWD drivers car of all time.

Fair enough its massively more developed by honda in that application but the zs180 isn't far behind, just a bit more tame.

So in essence the ZS180 is as a modern looking, road friendly ITR. :thumleft:

Bet the zs doesn't have a slippy diff though :(
cdti

Post by cdti »

the one thing the zs could do with is a diff, although its easily sorted if you know how, and pretty cheapily too.

PS if you want to see one quick ZS, check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4pm1bDB ... re=related

hes got a few videos
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

benedwards64 wrote:Funnily enough, I've been looking at these recently. The only similar car you can get for the money would be an ST24 (170ish bhp) or an ST200 (200bhp) from 2.5 V6 engines. It would be a fair few years older than an MG of the same price though.

Vectra GSi is a 3.0 24v V6 Forget the power, but it's around the outputs you've mentioned.

Have to say, this has raised a good point, there's a lot of V6's out there not putting a great deal of power out.

Vectra GSi, Mondeo ST, MG ZS, Hyndai Coupe. They all have 2.5 - 3.0 V6's and mostly under 200bhp

Yet there's plenty of inline 4's without turbo's out there putting out 200+ bhp. Yes the power delivery is different, yes the sound is different. But they're also lighter, more compact and more fuel efficient. Given the options, I'd rather go that way.

Then there's a proper V6, like the one in the 350z - 280-310 bhp fro a 3.5 depending on which year.

In fairness though, 280bhp / 3.5 = 80bhp per litre. 180bh / 2.5 = 72bhp
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

matt_mr2t wrote:Have to say, this has raised a good point, there's a lot of V6's out there not putting a great deal of power out.

Not limited to V6's, I have never understood how Ford managed to get so little power out of the Fiesta ST ;) 74bhp/litre, 150bhp from a 2ltr 4pot, in this day and age of advanced engine management, VVTi etc.

I can only assume it was done on purpose to make it a lower insurance group as the Fiesta is aimed at a younger market. The same wouldn't apply to most V6s!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

toxo wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:Have to say, this has raised a good point, there's a lot of V6's out there not putting a great deal of power out.

Not limited to V6's, I have never understood how Ford managed to get so little power out of the Fiesta ST ;) 74bhp/litre, 150bhp from a 2ltr 4pot, in this day and age of advanced engine management, VVTi etc.

I can only assume it was done on purpose to make it a lower insurance group as the Fiesta is aimed at a younger market. The same wouldn't apply to most V6s!

They didn't want any more than 150bhp from it apparently. They could easily have got a lot more, the Focus ST170 is effectively the same engine with a slightly different head and managment system.
cdti

Post by cdti »

With the 180, you can see 220bhp with cams, induction, exhaust and a remap. Looking at £1.5K for that which isn't too bad. But TBH, it should have rolled out of the factory with around that power!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

cdti wrote:With the 180, you can see 220bhp with cams, induction, exhaust and a remap. Looking at £1.5K for that which isn't too bad. But TBH, it should have rolled out of the factory with around that power!

You'd have to really love that car to spend that time and money for a 40bhp gain.

I spent half that money and got 100bhp+ gains in my tubby.

Return to “Driving Experiences”