Makes you wonder...

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

zooropa1985

Makes you wonder...

Post by zooropa1985 »

So there i am driving along minding my own business when i notice a car speeding up from behind, i mean it was seriously moving but at this point its simply a spec in my rear view mirror.

Within seconds its behind me... a nice while Skyline, bu88er i thought. Weirdly though he didnt overtake nor did he tailgate me, he simply drove along behind... i found it weird simply because of the speed he was doing to actually get behind me and then slow down to sit there.

Maybe he was playing with me but then my cars only a NA so thats like a GSX-R 1000 playing with a 50cc scooter... pointless.

Anyhoo it came to my turn off and i thought what a nice chap lol

HOWEVER...

On the way back im travelling up the same road and a clio 1.2 decides to fly up and sit so far up my ar$e i wasnt sure which engine belonged to which car... after the Skyline i just thought why?
dantheman

Re: Makes you wonder...

Post by dantheman »

i think i know the reason why. when you are driving a slower car like the clio, you just generally want to go faster. "why is he doing 29?" i wanna do 42....". its just the general agitation you feel whilst driving a slower car around town etc.

however when in a very fast car, you know you will never get close to maximising its potential around town, or even on the motorway. as a result instead of driving around like a spanner, you just wait for your patches of clear road, then gun it. when you come up behind a car, you slow down and reflect on the fun you just had. plus when driving a nice fast car you feel more relaxed and in less of a rush.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

It depends how fast you were going when each car was sat on your backside.

For instance, if I'm moving along the outside lane of the motorway a couple of MPH above the speed limit and catch some one up who is going below it with no one in front, I would hope they'd move. But, if there's people in front of them, or they're doing what I consider suitable speed for the outside lane, fair do's.

I have noticed peoples bottle has gone these days. Little boy racers will come tearing up behind me, so I speed up a little and they back off. Fraidy cats :whistle:
zooropa1985

Post by zooropa1985 »

Hmmm i wrote this quite late last night and looking at it now i realise i may not have made it clear what i meant lol.

On both occasions i was doing 65ish :)

Anyhoo what i meant was how come the guy in the skyline who could have passed me no problem decided to hold back, never even tried to race... yet the 1.2 clio with his mates in the car decided his shed was faster than my MR2 and decided to stick up my ar$e like a horny Graham Norton obviously wanting a race.

Was it some kind of respect from the Skyline dude who must have done 80 or so to catch up and then slow down and stay behind even though there was plenty of overtaking points.
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

TBH, I used to find myself doing this quite a bit when driving my Porsche.

On an empty motorway or d/c'way the speed would creep up but when I catch up with other cars I realise I am going quick enough to stick out like a sore thumb and so I sit behind somebody doing a respectable speed for a while.

In doing so I always try and maintain a sensible distance (which will usually then be filled by 3 rep's in Mondeos, thus making me feel like I am going "backwards") to the car in front but I do always worry that the car in front will feel like I'm intimidating them.
I'm not, I'm just trying to "blend in" for a while.

TBH, during bouts of "spirited" driving along B-roads I've sometimes caught up with another car and then taken the opportunity to chill out, only to have them pull off the road to let me past.
When that happens I feel like stopping to apologise and tell the other driver that I certainly didn't mean to intimidate them etc.

As I say, I always try to leave a sensible distance to the car in front (being at the front of a 25 car pile-up on the motorway taught me how important it is) and one thing that REALLY gets on my boobs is people who speed up to overtake then slow down again and sit right in front of me on the motorway.
Those people are total c**ts IMO.
If you want to go faster than me then carry on GOING faster and get out of my face.
If you aren't going faster than me then stay behind me.

I really can't see any excuse (other than a selfish desire to have a clear road in front of you) for a person to overtake another car and then slow down again.

As for people who tailgate, they're just morons.
Simples!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Thinking back to when i had my tubby, it was always the little cars like the clio rt's and 306's that used to come tearing up. I used to be sat on the inside and they'd come past me looking over with that nutty look in their eyes that said "yeah, my cars clearly faster"
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

I'm not so convinced.

Quite a lot of the time if I spot a nice car up ahead of me I'll add a couple of mph to my speed (where possible) to get behind it just to sit there and admire the view, as it's better than being stuck behind some crappy grey econobox. Not tailgating, not trying to race, just because I like nice cars.
Mike

Post by Mike »

In the last couple of weeks I've changed my alloys from a set of matt-black, rather tired looking rims to a brand new set of shiney silver ones which make the car stick out like a sore thumb. Since then I've had everyone trying it on, from diesel rep-mobils to absolute sheds with big exhausts hanging out the back.
In your case the Skyline dude has nothing to prove, he knows his car is faster than yours, and he knows that you probably know it too. If you had been driving a 911 Turbo he probably would have tried to play. The Clio guy (unless he was monumentally thick) doesn't actually think his car is quicker than yours but its fun for him to see what the difference in performance is.
We all enjoy baiting cars higher up the food chain, its just the way it is.
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

well who knows, some days the underdog will have his bone.

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showth ... p?t=306035

Saxo (i think) smokes a Supra.

I bet it stings to be smoked by a Saxo, or Nova, or Clio, or Skoda, or Fiat Punto diesel....

:whistle:
My personal website : http://www.jonathanchye.co.uk
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

sw20GTS wrote:well who knows, some days the underdog will have his bone.

I bet it stings to be smoked by a Saxo, or Nova, or Clio, or Skoda, or Fiat Punto diesel....

maybee... but its still a saxo.....

also a na supra..

but would still rather have the supra/// #-o
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

sw20GTS wrote:well who knows, some days the underdog will have his bone.

Blimey!

So, a Saxo can beat a Supra and, later on in that thread, there's a video of a Supra beating a Gallardo.
That means a Saxo is faster than a Gallardo! :shock:

There's a guy around here with a rather beaten up Nova that's got a turbo'd 16v Vauxhall engine in it.
He had a go at me in my n/a a few months ago.
At first I thought he was messing about then I thought "Blimey, that's actually pretty quick!".

Funny thing was, despite having probably (I assume) 100 bhp more than me he couldn't keep up with the MR2 on a B-road and when we turned onto a main road I did let him past (I pulled into a lay-by) cos I figured the speeds would get a bit silly and, frankly, for all I knew he might genuinely have needed to be somewhere in a hurry so I didn't want to get in his way.
It was only a couple of weeks later that I found out what engine he had in the car so I was quietly pleased with how well the n/a aquitted itself although I admit I'm glad I didn't try to outrun him on an A-road cos that might have been embarassing. :D

FWIW, ages ago my missus had a burst appendix and I had to rush to the hospital to see her (apparently she nearly died) and it was incredible how spiteful some drivers can be.
I was overtaking pretty mercilessly and some drivers went as far as to straddle the white lines to stop me from passing them.

As a result of that experience, these days if I see somebody who's really shifting I tend to move over and let them past rather than trying to play with them cos I always figure it might be somebody who's in the same situation I was.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Mike, you've obviously never spent time on Cliosport lol. There's plenty of people on there that think Clio's are the be all and end all and the greatest cars ever made.

As for the comments about the Saxo beating a Supra but still "being a saxo"

Why does no one ever say that when a tuned up MR2 beats a Ferarri?

If I was driving around in an exotic supercar and some young upstart in a tuned MR2 blasted past me I would be perfectly happy that it was me in the £100k that every one was looking at :wink:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

matt_mr2t wrote:Mike, you've obviously never spent time on Cliosport lol. There's plenty of people on there that think Clio's are the be all and end all and the greatest cars ever made.

As for the comments about the Saxo beating a Supra but still "being a saxo"

Why does no one ever say that when a tuned up MR2 beats a Ferarri?

If I was driving around in an exotic supercar and some young upstart in a tuned MR2 blasted past me I would be perfectly happy that it was me in the £100k that every one was looking at :wink:

completly agree matt....

at the end of the day its still a MR2... 99% if won the lottery on here would much rather have something else..

Ipersonally have a ovlov at the mo... it goes like stink..

faster than my mates supra.... but its still a volvo.. good fun and perfect for what i want.. but finances had i would have a lambo.. or porker..
Ben

Post by Ben »

pistol pete wrote:faster than my mates supra......

Rub it in why don't you :wink: :oldtongue:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

benedwards64 wrote:
pistol pete wrote:faster than my mates supra......

Rub it in why don't you :wink: :oldtongue:

as if i would :thumleft:

Return to “Driving Experiences”