MR2s do make good boats lol

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

MR2s do make good boats lol

Post by Chr15py »

Got caught out on sunday while driving back from my friends house near Aylesbury. It had been raining very heavily earlier in the day but was just spitting. As the roads were clear, I was driving the route at a normal pace - around 60 when I noticed literally at the last moment, that the road was flooded for 30 - 40 metres! Slammed on the brakes and hit it at about 40mph #-o #-o #-o .

Sailed through it with the steering going light etc etc but heading straight. Was a very scary situation to find myself in as I did not see it until the last moment! Car came out the other side grinding from the front where the arch liners had partially come off and were rubbing against the front tyres :(. That was the only damage (popped back into place) but still could have been much worse. The water was only about 10cm deep but still :(.

Just a warning for you all with the comical weather we currently have to take a bit more care.

Chris
Mr Rapey Banana WILL get you...oh yes! :)
Si_Crewe

Re: MR2s do make good boats lol

Post by Si_Crewe »

Indeed.

The other common fault with MR2s seems to be how the windscreen wipers have a habit of lifting off the windscreen at around 60mph.
That can make overtaking lorries on the motorway a truly heroic undertaking.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Glad you're alright fella. M&S is where I usually buy my new underwear..
U still hanging out in mcd's car park?

R.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Si_Crewe wrote:

:-s

Glad you came out OK Chris, could have been alot worse.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Jaspa wrote:
Si_Crewe wrote:

:-s

:D

Erm, quite.

Seriously though, a lot of us don't use our 2's all the time and, personally, I knew my wipers were a bit naff for about 2 years before I looked at sorting it out.

It was only after the second time I got caught in a torrential downpour, at night, on the motorway that I resolved to do something about it.

Doesn't help, as well that 2's are tiny ickle cars and if you DO slow down to summat like 40mph in really bad weather you feel awfully vulnerable when the bumpers of articulated lorries start looming up in your mirrors.
sketch

Post by sketch »

Agreed, one of the most scary moments i've had in the mk1 was travelling home down the M27 in a horrendous thunder storm. Pitch black, raining huge fat dollops at uber high velocity, spray coming at me from front and right hand side......wipers totally give up and stop dead :pale:

Lucky at the time I'd pulled into the slow lane as I could barely see where I was going, had to pull onto the stripes just before a slip road and wait for Chris to come and help me. The whole time I was stuck there trucks and big rigs are flying past me still be able to thunder along at 60. I swear my poor car was being blown to the left a couple of inches with every one that passed. :shock:

This thread's just reminded me to get to Halfrauds actually and buy some more wipers :lol: :thumleft:

Return to “Driving Experiences”