I remember now..

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

pistol pete

I remember now..

Post by pistol pete »

Well swapped me car a nice ST24 mondeo nice comfy and reasonably quick..
for a shoddy terrible looking mr2 turbo that runs well...

ever since i keep working on it.. which i have enjoyed but kept wondering why....

then today.. the first sunny day day since having this mr (my 11th)

got the roof off it was running well.. a good blat round the back roads on way home from work and all come flooding back

i remember why i love these soo much :thumleft:
raptor95GTS

Re: I remember now..

Post by raptor95GTS »

yep I had the tops off today and dang it's a nice feeling. Didn't even have the CD player on either, just the exhaust and turbo making music. 8)
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

allan welsh wrote:yep I had the tops off today and dang it's a nice feeling. Didn't even have the CD player on either, just the exhaust and turbo making music. 8)

sounds good... i quite often don;t have the music on in the mr :thumleft:
rhamps

Post by rhamps »

same here was out wasting fuel and rubber yesterday a bit of sunshine really does make everything all worth while and i suppose all the envious looks from other people lol

anly thing is you then get all the kids in there golfs and fiestas trying it on lol

the guy in the new shape gti was a bit supprised when i just left him in my rear veiw mirror when i actually put my foot down lol
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

good show.. i can;t at the mo even thought the sun is out..grrr hose from hell burst
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

I have sticking brake callipers and sometimes they're pretty bad lol. Hoping to get it all fixed in the next or so.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Just had a similar day.. Took a couple of pictures too to update my garage later. Although discovered a leak in the rear quarter passenger window, suspension and steering still need sorting out a bit... Cant wait for some real summer weather now though. Had the roof out aswell, just a bit chilly round your ears still when youre not in the sun!
Blue_5

Post by Blue_5 »

I know what you mean Pete.

Just sold my car, beforehand have been perusing the classifieds like a madman, trying to find something fun, powerful, good looking and chaepish to run.

Ruled out the MR2 on the basis ive had four of them.

Then realised - well you havent had four of any other car - so you must love them!

And i do!

Went to look at one on Saturday, went for a drive, put down deposit. :thumleft:

The second i got in it, it all came back to me - i just adore these cars. You cant really quantify it - everyones got there own loves - but im glad ive realised what mine is.

So, pick number five up on Tuesday, in my 'ultimate' spec - a Rev 3 turbo.

Going to be a long couple of days!
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

good work what colour you gone for?

i had the same thought with mine.. i did not want another m2.. but there bust have been a reason i have had 10 of them.. not now on 11
Blue_5

Post by Blue_5 »

Ahem..

(cough)yellow(cough).

Actually, i really like the colour, the yellows are one of the lesser seen colours so its nice to have something slightly different.

I do love black ones, but i swore i'd never have a black car again, feels like you only have to look at it and its scratched!
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Blue_5 wrote:Ahem..

(cough)yellow(cough).

Actually, i really like the colour, the yellows are one of the lesser seen colours so its nice to have something slightly different.

I do love black ones, but i swore i'd never have a black car again, feels like you only have to look at it and its scratched!

good choice.. ill try never to have a black car again..
excalibur1814

Way

Post by excalibur1814 »

I'd have one again but it would have to at least be a rev3 turbo and basically be perfect. No sticking calipers, no water or oil leaks or anything like that.

Apart from that, I'd gladly accept a Mk3 with a turbo or 2zz and never look back again :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

IMO there's nothing in the same league as the Mk2 turbo.

In terms of bang for your bucks nothing can come near it. You can pick up rev1 or 2's for under £2k, mint rev 3's for under £4k
They look 1000 times nicer than Evo's, Scoobies, 200SX's, Pulsars and all the other cars in their class (which are quite often more expensive)
And to top it off, the Tubby is generally a more reliable car than all of those with lower running costs.

If I had say £4k sitting around burning a hole in my pocket and I wanted to get the fastest, most reliable, best looking car I could for my money, I don't believe anything else exists.

On the other hand, if I had £10k to buy a car, I wouldn't spend it on the best, youngest, lowest mileage tubby in all honesty. The strong point of the tubby is the cheaper end of the market cars available.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

matt_mr2t wrote:
On the other hand, if I had £10k to buy a car, I wouldn't spend it on the best, youngest, lowest mileage tubby in all honesty. The strong point of the tubby is the cheaper end of the market cars available.

indeed if i had 10k... i would not get a mr...

but at the cheap end of the market they are fantastic :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

pistol pete wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:

Out of interest, what would you get?
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

matt_mr2t wrote:
pistol pete wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:

Don't know about him but if I have 10k I would get myself a mint EVO V/VI and save the rest for fuel/maintanence/upgrades.

I could be a bit biased though :whistle:
My personal website : http://www.jonathanchye.co.uk
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

matt_mr2t wrote:
pistol pete wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:

hmmmmm
probably with 10k i would get a supra.. manual TT and a few upgrades..

or treat my self to another audi s4 .. .i liked my old one lots...
excalibur1814

Post by excalibur1814 »

matt_mr2t wrote:IMO there's nothing in the same league as the Mk2 turbo.

In terms of bang for your bucks nothing can come near it. You can pick up rev1 or 2's for under £2k, .

I did exactly that, purchased a Rev1 Turbo for 1.4k and and I would NEVER do it again. It was probably the car but just about EVERY single mechanical part was replaced over four years with only the passenger side windows regulator being original. 4....yes, FOUR engine rebuilds as it simply wouldn' work with an eventual cost of 11k. I simply wanted the car to work so I stupidly stuck with it.

Reliable? Depends on the car. I would think twice before buying a new one but then again, maybe I was simply unlucky in a big way :cry:
Blue_5

Post by Blue_5 »

matt_mr2t wrote:

Hmm, you make a good point...

I think if Bill Gates popped round with £10k in used notes, and instructed me to spend it on a car, id be in the classifieds hunting down a R33 GTR, or a Chimera, depending on my mood 8)

BUT, that said, there is a part of me that says i would look for the cheapest 'mint' Mk2 i could find (say, a Rev 5 NA) for about 2-3 grand, and throw the rest Paul Woods way for something very wild.
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

I have no idea what l would replace the turbo with and l really like the t-bar style of roof as well. Gives you some privacy over a full open top.

+ these old cars have no driver aids un-like these pansy boy modern cars :D

Return to “Driving Experiences”