Corsa VXR

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

rhamps

Corsa VXR

Post by rhamps »

Lets just say the driver was taught a lesson and i wasnt even trying to lol poor chav in his corsa :thumleft:
Quigonjay

Re: Corsa VXR

Post by Quigonjay »

you have to at least be a little bit wary with the new breed of hot hatches
guy at my last place had one of these running 230/240ish
still easily had the legs on him and it was laughable off the line but it did have some good pace
rhamps

Post by rhamps »

yeh i know mate i thought it would be a bit harder to beat but i didnt have to try and the flames out my exhaust might have scared him i suppose lol
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Yea pretty quick pulled away slowly from my Civvy Type R. But mr2T no chance [-X
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

my friend in the ax16v re educated a corsa vxr artic owner yesterday.

take one ropey french crip packet throw 160bhp at it and re-edcuation begins lol
turbo Tom

Post by turbo Tom »

i had a play with an astra vxr when i had my tubby and afterwards he even asked what was in my car, he was amazed when i told him it was completely standard other than a hks induction kit
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

The problem with the Corsa/Astra VXR is getting the power down, i drove my mates Astra VXR and although quick in a straight line it pulls you all over the road with the torque and theres massive understeer if you try and boot it out of a corner.
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

un1eash wrote:The problem with the Corsa/Astra VXR is getting the power down, i drove my mates Astra VXR and although quick in a straight line it pulls you all over the road with the torque and theres massive understeer if you try and boot it out of a corner.

I agree, I have beaten the astra VXR up to about 80 many times in my MX6 which only has 190bhp... but no turbo ;) so can get the power down!
Marf

Post by Marf »

Vauxhall seem to have crippled their VXR range by not adding an LSD.

With an LSD and a stage one tune any VXR would be hanging onto an MR2T's coat tails.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Marf wrote:Vauxhall seem to have crippled their VXR range by not adding an LSD.

With an LSD and a stage one tune any VXR would be hanging onto an MR2T's coat tails.

Most modern hatches, bar some of renaultsports offerings seem to come with an LSD these days. Most of them use electronics to simulate the feel of an lsd.

One Vauxhall you shouldnt underestimate is the late model Vectra V6 turbo, definitely has a decent low/midrange punch. Had to look it up on wikipedia after I saw one because i've never heard of it, probably handles like poo tho.
Last edited by Race Idiot on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Race Idiot wrote:
Marf wrote:Vauxhall seem to have crippled their VXR range by not adding an LSD.

Most modern hatches, bar some of renaultsports offerings seem to come with an LSD these days. Most of them electronics to simulate the feel of an lsd..

As you say most "LSDs" these days are electronic approximations of diffs operated by applying the brakes, a poor replacement IMO.

Renault offer a proper torsen/ATB diff on their top of the line Renault Sport models, and they are also options on their "normal" hot hatch range.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Marf wrote:

As you say most "LSDs" these days are electronic approximations of diffs operated by applying the brakes, a poor replacement IMO.

Renault offer a proper torsen/ATB diff on their top of the line Renault Sport models, and they are also options on their "normal" hot hatch range.

Apparently the MKVI golf gti has something inbetween a mechanical LSD and one of these electronic systems god knows how it works though.

On the subject of lsds this is my favorite explanation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4JhruinbWc
TubbyTwo

Post by TubbyTwo »

un1eash wrote:The problem with the Corsa/Astra VXR is getting the power down, i drove my mates Astra VXR and although quick in a straight line it pulls you all over the road with the torque and theres massive understeer if you try and boot it out of a corner.

Indeed, VXRs are easy prey for my LCR, been chipped to 280 with LSD, it digs right in through the corners \:D/
2003 Leon Cupra R, stage 2 Jabbasport remap to 280bhp

MR2 now sold :(
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

Race Idiot wrote:

One Vauxhall you shouldnt underestimate is the late model Vectra V6 turbo, definitely has a decent low/midrange punch. Had to look it up on wikipedia after I saw one because i've never heard of it, probably handles like poo tho.

you could say that!! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FHLzWwghmU
GBTurbo

Post by GBTurbo »

Race Idiot wrote:
Marf wrote:

On the subject of lsds this is my favorite explanation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4JhruinbWc

Excellent video. Very very good.
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

I dont like these things, no matter what they do, its still a w@nky little Corsa! :roll:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

And yours is still a crappy little hairdresser's car.

See what I'm getting at there?
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

ekona wrote:And yours is still a crappy little hairdresser's car.

See what I'm getting at there?

Yup, but I'm not trying to make out mine is an all powerful sports car!

Mine is a car for the twisties, I wouldnt say its a 10 second drag car, or a Ferrari, its been build for a prupose, where the Corsa is built for an economical granny shopping mobile!
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

dansREV2turbo wrote:
Race Idiot wrote:

you could say that!! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FHLzWwghmU

I guess the handling isn't dynamic but with TC on and driving on normal roads its still pretty powerful! Too bad its FWD though...

Had a look on PH and they hold their price well.
My personal website : http://www.jonathanchye.co.uk
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

stevieskydive wrote:Mine is a car for the twisties, I wouldnt say its a 10 second drag car, or a Ferrari, its been build for a prupose, where the Corsa is built for an economical granny shopping mobile!

The basic Corsa maybe, but not the VXR version. It's actually a pretty decent little hot hatch, great for the younger buyer who wants turbo power rather than the revvy nature of the Clio RS IMHO. Probably the same reason you'd buy a CTR over an Astra VXR.

Return to “Driving Experiences”