People that speed up when you goto overtake them

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Steve-O 2007

People that speed up when you goto overtake them

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Why do you get people who speed up when you start to overtake them???

Was stuck behind this old idiot in a rover doing 10mph in a 30 then 30mph in a 60, overtook him then came upto this other car doing about 35 in a 60. I was already carrying speed from the previous pass so thought sod it, nothing comming the other way and went for it then the idiot starts speeding up and closing the gap between him and the car infront!! Managed to get in but it was scary as Instead of having a nice big space to cut into I had to get right up the other cars ar$e so I could fit in making me look like a dick of a driver :( :pale: :pale:
Si_Crewe

Re: People that speed up when you goto overtake them

Post by Si_Crewe »

That's about the oldest complaint in the book.

It is pretty annoying though.
Perhaps some drivers genuinely don't realise they're going slowly (must admit, I am sometimes guilty of this in the MR2, especially with the roof off) and seeing a car zoom past wakes them up and they speed up again.
However, with most I'm sure it's simply that they don't like the idea of being overtaken so they try and force you back in behind them by closing the gap to the car in front.

The worst thing, IMO, is when you roll up behind a guy doing 45mph and he speeds up to 60, thus catching up to the car in front of him and then that driver, in turn, does the bloody same and before you know it you're sitting behind a queue of a dozen cars all nose to tail but without any intention of actually overtaking each other but, apparently out of pure spite, sitting close enough together so that nobody with a bit of gumption can actually work their way past them all.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Im guessing that could be it, MR2 with decat and Motoria exhaust at 6,000 revs would wake anyone up lol

Other thing that annoyed me was it started flashing its lights when I was squeezing in and I dont know if it was to say "your safe to squeeze in" or "WTF are you doing you ar$e hole" lol Didnt get any horn so maybe it was just saying "your past me, its safe to pull in" ?

The thing is I didnt need to get past it realy as there was another car and waggon infront (that I wouldnt have got past anyway) but I would rather sit at 45 - 50 behind them than sit behind someone pottering along at 35.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:Why do you get people who speed up when you start to overtake them???

Was stuck behind this old idiot in a rover doing 10mph in a 30 then 30mph in a 60, overtook him then came upto this other car doing about 35 in a 60. I was already carrying speed from the previous pass so thought sod it, nothing comming the other way and went for it then the idiot starts speeding up and closing the gap between him and the car infront!! Managed to get in but it was scary as Instead of having a nice big space to cut into I had to get right up the other cars ar$e so I could fit in making me look like a dick of a driver :( :pale: :pale:

had this once in my SC...
loads of room going slow.. as i went round he overtook closed up the gap enought that i could not get it look over at me and smiled.. how i did not hit the car coming the other way i will never know..

i don;t feel i was driving recless plenty of room.. car in front was moving away where he was going slow...
was one of my scariest moments.. there are some idiots on the road
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

I know - its a pain in the backside when people do that.They are actually driving dangerously by doing so. Wrong in the first place not to keep up with traffic by going too slow and idiotic for speeding up when someone overtakes. Sunday drivers [-X [-X
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

You wanna look on the bright side, my shed can only overtake turtles and snails.
craig

Post by craig »

Never seen the point in this at all, the whole "you're not overtaking me" thing really is quite immature and very dangerous which could cause a serious accident.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

ach dont get me started, someone did this to me on a motorway and nearly killed me. i was travelling down the M1 in low to medium traffic. i was in the outside lane doing 80 when i closed on the back of a car doing 65. after about half a mile of him not moving over into an empty middle lane i decided to go for an undertake. i moved left, put my foot down (in my 1.2L corsa) and pulled level with him. he then preceded to put his foot down (dont remember what the car was but it was ~2L so he had the legs on me). i got up to about 95 and had only got about a car length in front of him. as you can imagine i was spending as much time looking right and checking my mirror as i was looking forward. it suddenly dawned on me id run out of room in the middle lane and had closed on a car doing 70, i slammed on the brakes swerved right and tucked in behind this 2L car, got on 2 wheels, steered into it, caught the verge, swerved left and ended up back in the middle lane.

and why? because some idiot wanted to do 65 in the outside lane and wouldnt move over. [/rant]
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I find myself moaning about other peoples driving more and more these days. At first I thought it was because they were letting any old tom dick or harry pass their tests. But it's the middle age to older generation that do it.

I've got too many bug bears to list but a major one is going too slow (for the conditions). There's just no need for it. Ever.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

this annoys me like you wouldnt belive.

look i clearly want to go quicker than you so why imsist on doing this??
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Usually happens to me when I'm in the Discovery, it's maddening as the damn thing doesn't have the puff usually (and yes it's normally some bloke in an average car doing 65 in the middle lane who suddenly realises their car can do 80 :roll: ).
rhamps

Post by rhamps »

on the other side of things i get really fed up with people going to overtake me when im going from 30 zone to national speed limit zone and they insist on trying to overtake just before the nation speed limit marker so they can get past but as you can imagine in most cases i just accelerate with out even trying and im getting abuse that i have stoped them overtaking.
(I never do this dangerously though always make sure they have room to get back in behind me lol)
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

rhamps wrote:on the other side of things i get really fed up with people going to overtake me when im going from 30 zone to national speed limit zone and they insist on trying to overtake just before the nation speed limit marker so they can get past but as you can imagine in most cases i just accelerate with out even trying and im getting abuse that i have stoped them overtaking.
(I never do this dangerously though always make sure they have room to get back in behind me lol)

In those kind of situations I almost don't care if they got enough room or not. I am legally entitled to accelerate to the speed limit upon a change of limit. If they have chosen to break the speed limit by starting to overtake and exceed the limit then I have no sympathy. I am doing nothing illegal, it is up to them to ensure they get past safely. I particularly love doing this on the bike, just drop a gear and open the throttle, leave them looking like numpties on the wrong side of the road.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
rhamps

Post by rhamps »

Tiamat wrote:
rhamps wrote:on the other side of things i get really fed up with people going to overtake me when im going from 30 zone to national speed limit zone and they insist on trying to overtake just before the nation speed limit marker so they can get past but as you can imagine in most cases i just accelerate with out even trying and im getting abuse that i have stoped them overtaking.

In those kind of situations I almost don't care if they got enough room or not. I am legally entitled to accelerate to the speed limit upon a change of limit. If they have chosen to break the speed limit by starting to overtake and exceed the limit then I have no sympathy. I am doing nothing illegal, it is up to them to ensure they get past safely. I particularly love doing this on the bike, just drop a gear and open the throttle, leave them looking like numpties on the wrong side of the road.

True true mate how you doing? havnt seen you in a while. im out and about again at last lol :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Just to take that one step further, what I hate is being stuck behind a slow driver, who quite clearly isnt going to speed up, I want to overtake them, but every one behind me just pulls out and leaves me stuck behind them :evil:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

dantheman wrote:ach dont get me started, someone did this to me on a motorway and nearly killed me. i was travelling down the M1 in low to medium traffic. i was in the outside lane doing 80 when i closed on the back of a car doing 65. after about half a mile of him not moving over into an empty middle lane i decided to go for an undertake. i moved left, put my foot down (in my 1.2L corsa) and pulled level with him. he then preceded to put his foot down (dont remember what the car was but it was ~2L so he had the legs on me). i got up to about 95 and had only got about a car length in front of him. as you can imagine i was spending as much time looking right and checking my mirror as i was looking forward. it suddenly dawned on me id run out of room in the middle lane and had closed on a car doing 70, i slammed on the brakes swerved right and tucked in behind this 2L car, got on 2 wheels, steered into it, caught the verge, swerved left and ended up back in the middle lane.

and why? because some idiot wanted to do 65 in the outside lane and wouldnt move over. [/rant]

My brother in laws dad is a Mp, he has the above attitude and puts it into practice whenever he feels the need, my brother in law and sister went on a 400 mile trip in one car and this Mp was with his wife in another, for the whole journey he would sit in the fast lane at exactly the speed limit, making the point he had the right as that was the speed limit, end of as far as he was concerned... :evil:
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Martin F wrote:....for the whole journey he would sit in the fast lane at exactly the speed limit, making the point he had the right as that was the speed limit, end of as far as he was concerned... :evil:

Hehe,

Similar thing...
Missus and I were going on holiday and she got one of her friends to give us a lift to the airport.
It was about 5am and, fortunately, the motorway was almost deserted.

She pulled onto the deserted motorway at about 60mph.
When she got to 70mph she moved into the middle lane.
She sped up a little more and at about 80 she moved into the outside lane.
If she slowed down to 70 she'd move back to the middle lane.

All on a completely empty motorway.

I mean, she was doing us a favour so I couldn't really say anything but it was one of the most toe-curlingly embarassing car journeys I've ever made.

Seriously, where do people pick up these ideas? ](*,)
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

I would be correct in thinking that the left hand lane is meant to be used at all times unless your over taking.

Therefor making it ilegal to sit in any other lane than the one on the left regaurdless of the speed your traveling at.

Am I incorrect as it's the rule I've followed for around 10 years wether am doing 55 or 105 if the inside lane is avalible it should be used
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

I think the highway code sums it up with the words "keep left". ;)
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

I loved the cruise control in the Mk2 turbo but hardly ever used it due to people slowing down, speeding up, slowing down, eating chips, throwing out cake and all the other madness.

I just wanted to travel at one constant speed but..... virtually impossible.

Return to “Driving Experiences”