saxo 1.1

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

sawicki

saxo 1.1

Post by sawicki »

: went for a blast in the two the other night sat at about 60mph on dualcarage way when a saxo came along side me lexus lights 20" exhaust ect you no what i mean so i gave it a bit. stopped at next roundabout and window came down and one of the lads says that’s fast what’s in it i told him and he says it weren’t much faster than his saxo :lol
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Re: saxo 1.1

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

sawicki wrote:: went for a blast in the two the other night sat at about 60mph on dualcarage way when a saxo came along side me lexus lights 20" exhaust ect you no what i mean so i gave it a bit. stopped at next roundabout and window came down and one of the lads says that’s fast what’s in it i told him and he says it weren’t much faster than his saxo :lol

Beggars belief !!!
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

hate to annoy but i come from them circles,

but my mates 106 gti very under estimated car, of a roundabout stayed on par with my rev1 gt turbo to around 70 after that i left it for dead, but suprised is understatement from me.

ive also got a mate with a vts engined citroen ax it was 6.1 0-60 at trax before cams and mapping so i expect it to be less now sub 6s id think.

but on same day my mr2 did a 6.4 0-60 in standard form yeah i wasnt fully aware or mr2 as id only had it a week but still stonking performance out of an ax.

il include a little pic of when i was at cadwell in my vts ;)

little car did well that day
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

My Clio Valver utterly destroyed an E36 M3 round a series of round abouts, so much so when along side him on a DC at lights, he opened his widow and said "WTF is in that thing"
It was standard other than breathing mods.

These little French hot hatches certainly do handle well, but they're not *fast*
sawicki

Post by sawicki »

fair enough if its a gti or vts but im talking 1.1 60bhp beast
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

sawicki wrote:fair enough if its a gti or vts but im talking 1.1 60bhp beast

Exactly lol

the only time a saxo has ever overtaken me was when I had my foot on the break pedal.

Tbh I don't even use my mr2 to "own or race" other cars (private road) it gets boring, mr2 never looses, so I Think I know I will go out in my MX6 2.6 V6.... and with 190bhp that still completely destroys most cars, especially off the lights!

Some muppet I know of, he pulled up next to my mate ( mr2 turbo 300bhp) in his fiesta with a 1.7 puma engine in it, tried to race him, my mate just launched off sideways and got a little smile from fiesta boys girlfriend lol
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

You should have just coined the old phrase back to him "I lose more in my transmission than your engine makes"
craig

Post by craig »

240bhp not much faster than a 60bhp saxo 1.1!? hmmmm :-k
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

RedMR² wrote:240bhp not much faster than a 60bhp saxo 1.1!? hmmmm :-k

the mr2 probably pulls quicker in 5th than the saxo does in 1st.....
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

willfinch36 wrote:
RedMR² wrote:240bhp not much faster than a 60bhp saxo 1.1!? hmmmm :-k

the mr2 probably pulls quicker in nuetral than the saxo does in 1st.....

Corrected :thumleft:
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

It still puzzles me why people in clearly slower cars try and race. I just dont see the point anymore in trying and let them get on with it most of the time.

Had a 2002 Corsa 1.2 have a go at some lights the other night after football. I just thought why even try as i pulled away with them in my rear view mirror.
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

Driver is 50% power is another 50%!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I used to drive at 70mph on the inside lane of motorways and get passed by slower cars. They'd always be looking across at me as if they have achieved something special when in truth I was barely coasting.

Sometimes you have to open it up a little, especially if they have mates in he car with them, dont want them thinking they're clever.
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

matt_mr2t wrote:
Sometimes you have to open it up a little, especially if they have mates in he car with them, dont want them thinking they're clever.

Exactly im the same, thats the last thing I would want!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

willfinch36 wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:

Exactly im the same, thats the last thing I would want!

It's because before I got into MR2 Turbo's I had a Clio 16v and used the Cliosport forums a lot. You wouldnt believe how many of them thought Valvers, 172's etc were as fast as tubbies. Even when I had a standardish tubby it left a 172 behind like it wasnt moving.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

one question how do you know it was standard? there's far to many sleepers out there now for my liking,

figures from my striped out vts
141bhp
0-60 - 6.6's
1/4 mile -14.8's
top speed-141.7mph (gearing wouldnt allow it to go any higher)
883kg inc driver

sorry but my standard mr2 turbo only passed 6.4 0-60 standard (hoping sub 6's now after few tweeks)

not had it down 1/4 mile yet to find out but the app on my iphone says 14.1 (tad optermistic i think)

over 1/4 mile id expect half a sec difference 0-60 200th of a sec hardley distroying, how ever that was a standard rev1 on over sized 17" alloys

difference was my mr2 was in comfort and refinment with climate control not a rattly bean can with just a bucket seat and roll cage for company and i get out the other end of my journey refreshed and relaxed instead of banging head ache and cramp in nearly every part of my body!!

think a fair bit of weight loss in the mr2 should make it more interesting as its free power, but jesus there just so well built and screwed together
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

loudandproud205 wrote:
figures from my striped out vts
141bhp
0-60 - 6.6's
1/4 mile -14.8's
top speed-141.7mph (gearing wouldnt allow it to go any higher)
883kg inc driver

Was that cammed? :S

Standard 0-60 is 7.2 or something and top speed 127mph

Sounds too good to be true, oh wait its french lol
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

My tubby, with a £15 boost controller did the Qtr mile in 13.7s and it was my first shot at it.

Fast isnt all about 0-60 and qtr mile times though. In gear accelleration and midrange torque while you are moving is just as, if not more, important. My tubby would accelerate anywhere in the rev range. Unless I was doing stupidly low speeds in a very high gear it would go without having to drop a cog. It would also pull hard all the way to the top speed, these little hot hatches with 100 or so HP will feel quick off the mark because they're light but run out of puff at about 115 - 120 mph then weeze up to their top speed if they even have enough power to get them there.

And they will never really get faster. A VTS that can do 0-60 in 6.4s & 14.7s qtr miles is about as fast as one will get before you start talking about serious modifcation. Those stats are slow for a tubby, even standard, with all it's weight, interior and luxuries.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Just to put it in perspective 141bhp in an 883kg car = 159bhp per ton
220bhp (less than a rev3 or any modded tubby anywhere) @ 1.3t = 169bhp per ton.

Add to that the little 1.6's in VTS's have about as much torque as a moped and it's hard to see where it can compare.

Mildly modded tubby, with say 265bhp, without even stripping the interior would be over 200bhp per ton.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

basic breathing mods on a mr2 would see it smoke that no problem, and let's face it, how many standard mr2s do you see, the crappy little intercooler alone must restrict it like feck, i reckon my mr2 is well under 6 seconds to 60, i think standard they are meant to be 5.7( can somebody confirm?) or something, so with the addition of a massive intercooler, intake, exhaust, decat, vsvs disabled(full boost in 1st and 2nd) and running 1 bar as opposed to the stock boost, i reckon most mr2s could see under 5 seconds, easily on par with an elise or similar, there's NO hot hatch( unless it's been extensively modified) keeping up with that, :thumleft:

Return to “Driving Experiences”