rev3 GTS v Carrera 4S

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

bottomendgone

rev3 GTS v Carrera 4S

Post by bottomendgone »

Morning guys (and gals)

Was just tootling back home this morning after dropping my better half off in work and low and behold i came up behind a nice shiny new carrera 4s at the lights. I sat a car length back and just marvelled at this beautful machine. Big fat tyres, flared arches. My dream car pretty much!

So we set off into the straight 50mph zone before a dual carriageway and I'm behind him when he cheekily flicks a cigarette out the window, which hit my windscreen! I was a bit incenced by this but he then took off like a bat out of hell when he got a clear road in front of him.

So i dropped it into 3rd, took it from 50 all the way upto about 6k revs and was glued to his rear, onto the carriageway and he just continued to take it up quite fast. I was at about 6.5k revs in 4th gear on full boost at this stage and still keeping pace with him! I was grinning like :D

So we reach the bottom of the carriageway and I just give him a nod and he does the same back

Looked up the stats on the 4S there;

Power 385@6500 bhp/rpm
Torque 309@4400 lb/ft
Maximum Speed185 mph - (Man)
Maximum Speed183 mph - (Auto)
0 - 62 mph (acceleration)4.7 seconds
(Man)0 - 62 mph (acceleration)4.5 seconds - (Auto)
Kerb Weight - 1480 kg

Really heavy, my slightly modded 300bhp mr2 kept up with it the whole way :D

Price difference between the 2 cars - £67,000 :lol:
Mike

Re: rev3 GTS v Carrera 4S

Post by Mike »

I've played with one of these before, not a great deal in it in terms of acceleration I was keeping up just about, but the 911 was far more composed through the corners that I had to back off to preserve my own mortality. I honestly think that if I won the lottery tomorrow the only brand new cars I'd buy would be a 997GT3 RS and a GT2.
bottomendgone

Post by bottomendgone »

Theres something mystical about the 911 tubby i think

Like you say, it probably would have had me on bends. It was a pretty wet morning and I could feel my grip slipping at times on a carriageway so I wasn't going 100% for it to preserve my own mortality as you put it!
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Wait, was it a tubby or a 4S?
Marf

Post by Marf »

Carreras are easy to keep with, would be a different matter if it had been a GTxRS or a Turbo.

Hell my old 160hp Charade Turbo could keep with a Carerra up to 90mph with a rolling start.
bottomendgone

Post by bottomendgone »

It was a 4S (was just talking with the guy in the previous post about lottery cars :) )
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Ive played with one of these before too, and pulled about a car lenght ahead!

I have a post on here somewhere!
G
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Sounds about right.

I managed to get past a regular Carrera 4. His engine at full chat sounded way better than the 3sGTE though =P~
greeny

Post by greeny »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCGoaq8Py0I

He pulled up next to me in the fire up lane after the run and wound his window down, his comments were " Bloody hell! what you done to that mate?" My reply, "nothing mate, its standard!", Him "oh right" and wound his window back up quickly bless him!

My car wasnt quite standard though i have to admit :oops:

16psi on a TT CT26 hybrid, That was my slowest run of the day aswell!
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

greeny wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCGoaq8Py0I

He pulled up next to me in the fire up lane after the run and wound his window down, his comments were " Bloody hell! what you done to that mate?" My reply, "nothing mate, its standard!", Him "oh right" and wound his window back up quickly bless him!

My car wasnt quite standard though i have to admit :oops:

16psi on a TT CT26 hybrid, That was my slowest run of the day aswell!

class :lol: :lol: :clap:
1993 GT TURBO
bottomendgone

Post by bottomendgone »

Is there a better feeling than embarassing someone who has spent tens of thousands on a car?

obviously on straight, mostly dry roads. Don't ask about corners
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

£67k difference - you sure?
Or are you doing the usual thing and comparing the price of a brand new Porsche Vs the price of a 15+ year old Tubby?

You also say "really heavy" but quote it's weight at 1,450kg - tubby's are around 1,300kg - that's only a heavyish passenger difference.

And as for the performance, imagine how quick the Porsche would be if it had been given an extra 50-100bhp over it's standard output :wink:

I once had a very similar play to this, initially I was hanging off the back of it, but as soon as the road (and it was a motorway, not a back road) started to have dips and bends it left me for dead. They really are so composed on almost all surfaces.
greeny

Post by greeny »

matt_mr2t wrote:£67k difference - you sure?
Or are you doing the usual thing and comparing the price of a brand new Porsche Vs the price of a 15+ year old Tubby?

You also say "really heavy" but quote it's weight at 1,450kg - tubby's are around 1,300kg - that's only a heavyish passenger difference.

And as for the performance, imagine how quick the Porsche would be if it had been given an extra 50-100bhp over it's standard output :wink:

I once had a very similar play to this, initially I was hanging off the back of it, but as soon as the road (and it was a motorway, not a back road) started to have dips and bends it left me for dead. They really are so composed on almost all surfaces.

You've had good experience with the 4s then?
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
fizz

Post by fizz »

Ive had a play against the same one i used to meet every couple of weeks on the way to work.

Had just stage one mods on mine and used to be nothing in it with acceleration through 2/3rd gear... maybe he would just start edging away a bit. It was a 2005 plate 4s.

Once we got onto the slip road that linked one Mway to another... he just left me for dead. The amount of grip that thing had round the bend under acceleration was unreal. My ass was twitching like mad and couldn't put the power down while he was getting away!

Very impressed. :thumleft:
Marf

Post by Marf »

fizz wrote:
Once we got onto the slip road that linked one Mway to another... he just left me for dead. The amount of grip that thing had round the bend under acceleration was unreal

Traction control ;)
fizz

Post by fizz »

Marf wrote:
fizz wrote:
Once we got onto the slip road that linked one Mway to another... he just left me for dead. The amount of grip that thing had round the bend under acceleration was unreal

Traction control ;)

If it was that was bloody impressive as from where i was sitting i could not see the back adjust in its stance even a bit as he planted it.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Well to be more accurate PASM(Porsche Active Stability Management)
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

greeny wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:£67k difference - you sure?

You've had good experience with the 4s then?

No, only on IMOC fantasies
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

I'm sure some nice racelogic on a tubby would even it out. There's no doubting their ability...but the majority is just down to big driver aids to make the richies feel good about themselves :wink:
greeny

Post by greeny »

mr2nut123 wrote:I'm sure some nice racelogic on a tubby would even it out. There's no doubting their ability...but the majority is just down to big driver aids to make the richies feel good about themselves :wink:

Pfft! driver aids are for wimps :lol:

Rev1 ar$e swinging all the way :mrgreen:

Return to “Driving Experiences”