Evo8

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Terrible Evo driver ?

No, the MR2 is Alpha, Omega and Beyond
No votes

Total votes: 0

Ren0W

Evo8

Post by Ren0W »

Both starting from traffic light, and kept the Evo at least a car lenght behind me.

Terrible Evo driver?
Or is the MR2 such a great car.

I still drive stock boost.
Mods
-HKS exhaust
-Greddy SMIC
-Apexi Power Intake
-Berk Tech. downpipe

*disclaimer*
No people nor animals got hurt during this action, and no rules or laws were violated at what time whatsoever.
Ekona

Re: Evo8

Post by Ekona »

Yeah, he wasn't trying in the slightest and/or is rubbish at TLGPs. Or he likes his clutch & drivetrain.
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

I think he was trying tho ;)

Otherwise he wouldn't ask me to do another 3 "runs".

4 traffic lights in a row, and all of them a car lenght difference.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Then it's the second one. ;)
sticks

Post by sticks »

ta be honest id have ta disagree with he wasnt trying.a buddy of mine had an evo 4 with an evo 6 engine.an evo 7 ecu.antilag.greddy actuator and boost controller.short shifter.full hks super dragger and a magnex decat.apexi induction kit an other stuff.boostin at 1.5 bar.apparently was bout 350 bhp.wasnt proven tho as it was road mapped.we wer both just after getting our cars remapped.but it was quick.and most people that wer in it or drove it couldnt believe how quick it was.but yet when we raced my completly standard at the time 232 bhp rev 3 was able to stay ahead of it.maybe mr2s are just underrated. :mrgreen:
michael

Post by michael »

Probably a 1.6 Equippe with a kit and wheels.

The Evo *bows* shouldn't be struggling like that if it's one of the real ones.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

In a straight line he would beat you, on the bend bits it rip your head of and deficate in the hole.

He was prob a naff driver or just playing with you.
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

Depends on the distance/speed you got to before the next traffic lights. Having driven EVO 8's (was it a FQ 300 / 320 or more or a 260 bhp..?) There isnt much in them against a slightly modded rev3 upto about 80/90mph ish.. Unless the EVO wanted to launch then it would dust you :)

Rash
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

I have had many a play with evo's over the years, my old rev3 was exactly the same speed as an evo fq320 (umknown mods), i was putting out around 280-290 bhp
It would pull easily on the 260 model (small spoiler) and after speaking to a few owners i would say that a 280 bhp mr2 and an evo between 320 and 350 bhp were roughly the same speed, in a straight line off course :wink:

If you look at evos putting out even more power and look at there quarter mile times you will notice that mr2's running around 100 bhp less are putting in around the same times.

Have to add that due to the British weather, roads and corners the evo is a much more drivable car and will beat you in everything apart from maybe a straight line, just my opinion of course :eye:
Marf

Post by Marf »

A properly launched MR2 will jump out of the blocks almost as quickly, if not as quickly as a well launched AWD car. Mid engined cars have traction in spades.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Well running total stock rev3 i've beaten a scooby sti wrx '03 the one with IC spray gimmick
Until we hit a roundabout, feckin ell #-o

It was my mates.
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

I had a run in with an Evo8 about a year ago on a private road. He pulled clear of me by about two car lengths by the ton and I was running about 250bhp. I reckon if I was running the 290bhp I am now, it would have been pretty neck and neck.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Olly P wrote:I had a run in with an Evo8 about a year ago on a private road. He pulled clear of me by about two car lengths by the ton and I was running about 250bhp. I reckon if I was running the 290bhp I am now, it would have been pretty neck and neck.

What model was it and what power was it running ?

Thats the thing you see, most of the time nobody knows what exactly they are up against nowadays, it's so easy to get an extra 50 bhp + without anybody else knowing :eye:

To make it a fair drive the cars would have to have similar bhp per tonne, think this topic has been covered many times Tbh #-o
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

It was a 260 bhp one, with the big Brembo's and visable FMIC. And running 1.5bar.

Talking with windows open and stopping on the road (holding up people behind us :-# ) he was saying how amazed he was how quick I was.

Length and duration... I let off the throttle as soon as I shifted into 3rd.

Also did 1 rolling road (playing with him, and tbh... I wanted to see if the car was slower then mine, or that he was terrible at launching)...

stayed in 2nd ... let him come close to me, and as soon as I noticed his turbo kicked it, I floored mine. And I whoooosd past him :-s

*once again, no laws were violated during this*
*dutch laws :-k \:D/ *
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

A 260 isn't a proper Evo. I like the way you waited until now to say that it was the big girly Evo you played with... ;)
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

thread fails
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

ekona wrote:A 260 isn't a proper Evo. I like the way you waited until now to say that it was the big girly Evo you played with... ;)

Hey, I'm on a MR2-forum. How I am supposed to know all the in and outs of Evo's ?

That's why I posted here =;
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Marf wrote:A properly launched MR2 will jump out of the blocks almost as quickly, if not as quickly as a well launched AWD car. Mid engined cars have traction in spades.

See that's what I have experienced. I hear all the time that Evos destroy MR2s and that they 'aren't trying'. In the dry there ain't much difference if the tubby driver can slip clutch. In the wet, ofcourse they have a huge advantage and any sensible MR2 driver should just let them go by and wait for a dry day.

They didn't get put in the AWD class in Japan for no reason. Plenty of other RWD cars don't get the same treatment :wink:
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Ive raced a few evos on the rd and on the quarter, and I always get away better off the line.
The mr2 is very good off the line, so if you didnt have far to run from the lights, you should be ahead pretty comfortably.

Only evo thats beat me was a fq thingy, the higher bhp one, what ever that is!
G
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

It's harder to "properly" launch an MR2 than an AWD car but when you do, it's worth it.

I spent too much time getting it wrong though, either bogged down or wheel spun madly.

When I got it right though - %&^* me!!
The boost guage would fly out of the hole in the dash, any loose objects that started in front of me would end up behind me and I quite often got such an adrenaline rush I ended up with shooting pains all over me :oops:

Mid engine rwd physics are just perfect for launching, in theory. Engine weight + car momemtum weight all on the driven wheels - 4wd transmission losses = best way of getting maximum power on the road. If you can launch it properly.

Return to “Driving Experiences”