Spirited driving techniques

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

malcster

Spirited driving techniques

Post by malcster »

Hi folks,

I was just wondering the rough techniques you used while driving the car toward its limits on a typical brittish B-Road.

I would usually approach a corner, drop into an appropriate gear (revs hitting maybe 4k) and then apply the throttle on seeing the exit to the bend.

I rarely have any throttle applied mid bend, it is usually in gear, off throttle until the exit is visible

However, this is my first mid-engined car, so this may not be the best technique??

Any thoughts?
1992 MR2 Turbo GT-S
1/4 Mile Best: 14.30s
mr2nut123

Re: Spirited driving techniques

Post by mr2nut123 »

Sounds good to me
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Nothing wrong with that at all as long as the transition to throttle/no throttle before the corner isn't too sharp, else you risk unsettling the car and spinning it when you turn in. You'd be far better off heel and toeing to keep the balance as you approach the bend then hold a steady throttle through the corner, applying more as you wind the steering lock off.

Obviously each corner is different and will require a slight change in actions dependant on angle, camber, weather etc, but that's the basics. No need to keep off the throttle completely whilst cornering although I can understand why you're doing that if this is your first mid-engined car.
Marf

Post by Marf »

I'm not ashamed to admit that it took me about a year to be fully comfortable applying throttle mid bend in my Tubby.

Like you it is my first RWD mid engined car.

Its all about knowing how much the turbo will spool with the amount of throttle you are giving it.

These days with decent rubber on the rear and a dry road, I'm comfortable applying full throttle mid bend knowing how the car will react.

I found the limit to be quite vague when I first started to push the car, it was only after a few months that I started to realise the limit wasnt vague, I just wasnt anywhere near it. :)
bill

Post by bill »

not to sure heal and toeing, would go down to well on your insurance claim form though. :shock:
Marf

Post by Marf »

bill wrote:not to sure heal and toeing, would go down to well on your insurance claim form though. :shock:

Not sure why you would even mention that in the event of an insurance claim?

Besides, done properly heel and toe/rev matched downshifts are far smoother, reducing the likelihood of unsettling the car.
bill

Post by bill »

What i'm trying to say, its not the easiest thing to accomplish, and trying it out on some b-roads could end up with some very nasty results, whilst experimenting. dont want to see another " i've written my car off thread" thats all i'm saying, try it on an empty round about :thumleft:
Marf

Post by Marf »

I dont think anyones suggesting trying it for the first time whilst driving like your balls are on fire.

I started practicing heel and toe as soon as I passed my test, its now second nature and I do it on pretty much every downshift, whether I'm pressing on or not :thumleft:
bill

Post by bill »

Marf wrote:I dont think anyones suggesting trying it for the first time whilst driving like your balls are on fire.

I started practicing heel and toe as soon as I passed my test, its now second nature and I do it on pretty much every downshift, whether I'm pressing on or not :thumleft:

fair enough mate, i'm just saying be cautious, i never bothered with it myself, i'll give it a go, keep your eyes peeled for a thread starting with "Oh xxxx, what the xxxx have i done" #-o
Marf

Post by Marf »

bill wrote:
Marf wrote:I dont think anyones suggesting trying it for the first time whilst driving like your balls are on fire.

fair enough mate, i'm just saying be cautious, i never bothered with it myself, i'll give it a go, keep your eyes peeled for a thread starting with "Oh xxxx, what the xxxx have i done" #-o

Theres no denying it does take practice, esp when block changing from 5th to 3rd or 4th to second, knowing how much throttle to give it in order to match the revs to road speed does take a while.
malcster

Post by malcster »

Yeah, I had been heel-toeing since I had my first car, although every car has different ratio's, so it can take a while to get right.

Easy enough to practice on an empty straight road. This should only be done on the straight/lead up to a bend though, changing mid bend is asking for trouble. Sure there's loads of info on the web if you want to learn the basics (clicky here for example)

I have moved from a CRX SiR with an 8k rev range, so there is a huge change in engagement points for each downshift.

Shifting aside though, the MR2 is such a different car to drive than the FF layout I am used to. The first time I drove it a little harder I couldn't believe how light the front end felt, and how planted the rear felt, really strange. It will definately take a lot longer to be able to drive it well than my last car, trying to keep in mind where the weight is, and how not to un-balance it.

With an FF you can just get the right gear, and give it some throttle then just feather it to control the understeer. Not the case here!

I think, driven well with experience, the MR2 could definately be a quick car around the bends.

This is kinda why I chose the MR2 Turbo, I had thought of an imprezza, but a 4WD layout is so easy to drive quick, I wanted something I could improve my driving with really.

Knowing how much throttle and when to apply it mid-bend is where a lot of the skill must lie though, and I guess this is just experience.

Knowing how hard to push it is the scary thing though, and I don't think I want to experiment with it on a B-road - I think maybe a track-day could be in order...
1992 MR2 Turbo GT-S
1/4 Mile Best: 14.30s
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Even harder is going from an NA mr2 to a modded turbo, after having my NA for 5 years and obviously getting used to it well, confidence in the corners etc, I did a rev3 turbo conversion a few months back and im struggling to get used to it. Its not like ive switched cars, I've the same chassis, tyres, bushes, suspension etc but the power delivery of the new lump throws all that away. The car rarely gets driven during the day (too much bloody traffic for any enjoyment :evil: ) so ive been going out at night and doing 100miles or so each time, but I still cant get used to it. I dont want to turn into a straight line junkie, as I love the twistys :cry:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Dale_V wrote:
so ive been going out at night and doing 100miles or so each time

Sounds like me :mrgreen:

Dale_V wrote:
, but I still cant get used to it. I dont want to turn into a straight line junkie, as I love the twistys :cry:

Give it time, it'll click :)
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Marf wrote:
Dale_V wrote:
so ive been going out at night and doing 100miles or so each time

Sounds like me :mrgreen:

Dale_V wrote:
, but I still cant get used to it. I dont want to turn into a straight line junkie, as I love the twistys :cry:

Give it time, it'll click :)

I hope it does click soon :pray: I suppose a major part is confidence which I lack with this car.. its a love-hate relationship .. I love her, she hates me :( :mrgreen:
johnp

Post by johnp »

One factor you have to be aware of regarding an MR2 is that it "prefers" uphill bends to downhill ones.On the other hand a FWD car,with its front heavy weight distribution, is,sort of,the opposite.
Think about this and act accordingly. :wink:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

I always try to have at least a little throttle during a corner to keep the car balanced.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Try using a balanced throttle, keep it constant through the bend gradually applying the power on the way out. It sits the car 'down' and keeps traction good on all four wheels.

Squeeze the throttle when you can see the apex.

Other techniques like heel and toeing smooth the weight transfer and keep it smooth.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

bill wrote:

Like Sam (Marf) said it certainly takes practice. If it helps here is a guide I had published in 2003;

http://www.mr2.net/trackdayqueen/heelandtoe.htm

(Copyright 2003)

There is other stuff to learn like trail braking too, but i'd concentrate on getting the car sitting down through the corner, this works best on faster bends.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
JJ

Post by JJ »

so ive been going out at night and doing 100miles or so each time, but I still cant get used to it. I dont want to turn into a straight line junkie, as I love the twistys

Dale, turn the boost right down on it... then it shouldn't be too dissimilar to the NA .. then gradually increase it with use... Ideally an EBC would weeean to into it....

Personally, I enjoy building boost out of a corner ! :mrgreen:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Jj im at 14psi at the moment as i had the same idea of you. . Sometimes the car feels too fast, sometimes not fast enough, there doesnt seem to be a happy medium for me, but im sure it will come together . . My next crave is an ebc, what would you suggest, ideally new. Or do you know of any used ones for sale that you have stashed away lol ;)

Return to “Driving Experiences”