Ariel Atom 300

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

JJ

Ariel Atom 300

Post by JJ »

Holy smokes... sod any other car you have driven, I had the pleasure to hammer round an Ariel Atom 300 ( at cost ) with a race driver to guide me at the weekend....

All I could do is grin, then checked autotrader after....

This is the full production grunt version with 300 bhp....I guess further modifications can be done.. but hells bells.... Civic Type R with a supercharger strapped to it.... WOW... any gear... because it was so light... nail the throttle and hang on.....

Couple of critisisms... No Sunvisor ! :mrgreen:

Experiences....
If changing up very quickly up and on the gas, prone to step out .... Rev limiters are needed as well as some hug dash light to get you to change gear - lights fitted, but you need something the size of a traffic light to get your attention from taking your eyes away from the road .. because you're too busy hanging onto the wheel...

Due to the weight on the rear... and being generally super light weight..... if you wanted it to turn in better, needed to progressively ease on the brakes and shift the weight... dapp on it then turn .. to get some turn it.. otherwise likely to understeer quite a bit....

I came out of a corner with a Lambo LP640 in front, he horsed it out the bend, I chased him and reeled him in very quickly ... WOW !!

Simply didn't need to rev it... bend in 3rd at 2K rpm.... nail it.. and make sure the car doesn't step out.. and the acceleration / responce is out of this world.... Dont get me wrong, my TVR Cerb 4.5 came close for responce to 100 mph... but this was raising the bar another 10 folds !!

Anyway.. think the heaters were broken !! :mrgreen:

In summary in case you havent gathered... :thumleft:
Last edited by JJ on Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
matt_mr2t

Re: Ariel Atom 300

Post by matt_mr2t »

They look awsome fun in a completely compromised way :thumleft:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Would love to have a go on one. got to be the closest thing to a bike - except much faster!
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

RobCrezz wrote:Would love to have a go on one. got to be the closest thing to a bike - except much faster!

atom faster than a bike? not quite, i do think the atom is an awesome piece of design and execution and in a world where you have oncoming and turning traffic i'd choose one over a bike everytime, but i'd still take a bike on a track
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

0-60 times are similar to a bike.
Cornering, having 4 wheels will be faster than a bike.
You wont fall off an Atom.
Even with a v-tec, being charged you dont have to rev to eleventy million RPMS.
Atom for the track for me every time.
But it's only good for the track IMO. I reckon I'd hate it on the road.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

CM1GT wrote:
RobCrezz wrote:Would love to have a go on one. got to be the closest thing to a bike - except much faster!

atom faster than a bike? not quite, i do think the atom is an awesome piece of design and execution and in a world where you have oncoming and turning traffic i'd choose one over a bike everytime, but i'd still take a bike on a track

Atom ruins bikes on the track. Bike might just pip it in a straight line though.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

PHA!!! 300hp....

what about the arial atom 500 V8!!!!!

http://www.arielatom.com/specs/atom-500-v8

Ariel announce the latest version of the Atom - the Ariel Atom 500, powered by a small V8 engine. With over 500bhp in a 500kilo package the Atom 500 will boast one of the highest power to weight ratios ever for a production car, ever. At over 1000bhp per tonne the Atom 500 will be the ultimate statement in performance and is destined to be made in a limited edition
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I remember 5th Gear doing a series of races of cars Vs Bikes and all the cars, even huge Lambo's were quicker round the corners than bikes.

So if you have a car with similar acceleration to a bike but can corner quicker, I think the cars got it licked.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Even the most basic MR2 will be quicker than bike through the corners, it's not particularly difficult as they simply have far less grip available than cars. Just ask the biker who thought it was clever to come hurtling past me at the weekend, only to discover me right up his ar$e on the roundabout :twisted:
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Atoms and Caterhams are more like 30k and even in their stripped out race clothes are more practical and useful than bikes.

You can get used Westfields for less than £10k
whitetrash

Post by whitetrash »

ekona wrote:Even the most basic MR2 will be quicker than bike through the corners, it's not particularly difficult as they simply have far less grip available than cars. Just ask the biker who thought it was clever to come hurtling past me at the weekend, only to discover me right up his ar$e on the roundabout :twisted:

Depends on the rider TOTALLY!!!

Most bikers talk the talk but dont walk the walk, i wont deny that cars are easier to push harder but on most A Roads i would still be faster on my old Aprilia RSVR than in my MR2 FACT! But then im a certain kind of rider.

I hate these people that Harp on about cornering, if you're on a decent road and a bike is faster point to point than a car then corner speed has relevance at all, Its STILL quicker!

Dont get me wrong i love fast cars, but bikes are something else... Generally it isnt grip that limits a bike, its the amount of skill and balls a rider has, i proved this by getting my knee down in the wet on stock road tires!

I think what really grates some drivers is simply that bikes are rapid and make most cars look silly... Even guys in 400bhp MR2's with thousands spent on them will know that if you greet say a new GSXR1000 at the lights in stock form, you might as well not bother!
Got Boost?!
whitetrash

Post by whitetrash »

Just for the Hell of it...

This years GSXR1000 will hit 0-60 in 3.1 seconds (a good launch would probably see a sub 3 second time)

0-100? 5.5

and won't stop till it hits its electronic limiter at 186mph.
Got Boost?!
whitetrash

Post by whitetrash »

Got Boost?!
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

nutter on the gixer...

i love my bike... but i know damnd well the bike has bigger balls than me..

i also like the fact i paid 1k for my bike i easily out accelerated a brankd spanking new m3 thanks cost over 40 times as much....

the maddest bike gotta be the hyabusa turbo..
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

anyone who says bikes are not that fast i show that vid to
whitetrash

Post by whitetrash »

to be honest im starting to get the itch for a bike again! :thumleft:
Got Boost?!
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

Aye, I don't have big enough balls to ride big powered bikes but if I do, it'll be the tubby Busa.
whitetrash

Post by whitetrash »

I was severely impressed with the Ducati 1098S, took one out with a dyno print for 175whp from a Vtwin that was immense!

2008 ZX10R was frantic as well, slipper clutch was great for backing it in to corners
Got Boost?!

Return to “Driving Experiences”