What colour are your flames? xD

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Poll ended at Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:03 am

Yellow
50%
Blue
30%
Other colour
10%
I don't get any flames =(
10%

Total votes: 10

Kongaroo

What colour are your flames? xD

Post by Kongaroo »

Was doing a little bit of data logging tonight so I could make some adjustments to my fuel map.

There is a nice stretch of motorway that is fairly straight and smooth which is good for performing a data logging pull near to where I turn off to go home.

Anyway it's fairly late at night and there are only 3 cars including mine on the roundabout where I turn off the motorway to go home. One of the cars pulls up along side me at the red light and honks to get my attention.

The guy turns out to be a pre-hire car taxi driver. He goes on to tell me that just before I came off the motorway he could see flames coming out of both exhaust tips. Apparently they were blue while I was accelerating and then turned yellow when I changed gear. He said it looked really cool. I thanked him for letting me know before we parted company \:D/

It's been a week for compliments too as on Thursday the cashier at the Shell station told me I had a 'nice looking car' when I stopped for fuel on the way into work. Then on the same day as I was leaving work a passing boy (he looked about 9, lol) gave me the thumbs up and said 'nice car'.

Now tell me - what other tree sap covered, 15 year old, swirly painted rice rocket can get compliments like this in the same week from complete strangers? MR2's are awesome :lol:
Quigonjay

Re: What colour are your flames? xD

Post by Quigonjay »

bet mines even more tree sap stained than yours but i still get compliments too :lol:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

At a guess, blue flames for when it's burning hottest and yellow on the over-run when it's just pooled fuel igniting in your exhaust system.

I'd say the best compliment I ever had was a middle aged guy running across the car park at Asda just to come over for a chat.
glenn

Post by glenn »

Thats some nice compliments m8, about the flames i cant tell when i'm gear changing, but if i stand behind the car and a friend of mine is giving her some there might pop some (for so far as i could see) yellow flames out of my exhaust tips.

Its a tubby with a few minor mods running 14 psi of boost. But on the otherhand my old 323f astina GT was doing the same much more frequently as my tubby.
I assume every car with the big flapper thing (maf sens) behind the air filter runs very rich.
They where both decatted though i think that makes a huge diff to pop some extreme flames.

Also got a 3gp of my old mazda, its a bit rice i know but i liked it Yaw \:D/ .the noise was way to loud to. I prefer the sound of my dep2 exhaust on my tubby to the astina's :lol: :lol:.
I think my mr2 pops the same colour flames as the movie below!
Funny was that i had a double freeflow system that did pop the flames equally from both mufflers, how i managed that i dont know cause it was a home made catback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8--LbFMtNo

Every mr2 owner has to deal with the compliments as they are stunning cars to look at.
Here in holland driving with a rhd car makes people even more positive about it.
Had several compliments allready from women to middleage grumpy suite guys :mrgreen:

Could not go without her i can tell you O:), just fell in love :).

Btw sorry for the bad grammatic i'm dutch lol :lol: :lol:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

I guess the MR2 is such a classic shape that even 20 years later people (young or old) still enjoy looking at it \:D/

Over the last 4 years I've gotten used to the occasional person in the next lane at the traffic lights asking me to wind down my window to talk. Fellow car enthusiasts are generally a friendly bunch, lol. Have to admit the first time it happened I was half expecting to be a victim of road rage or something :lol:

Nice video there Glenn and good to hear the MR2 gets a good reaction in Holland too!

I read that some people were able to get different colour flames by using different coloured fluids in their water injection. Don't know how true this is though - can anyone comment on this?
MR2UK

Post by MR2UK »

glenn wrote:Thats some nice compliments m8, about the flames i cant tell when i'm gear changing, but if i stand behind the car and a friend of mine is giving her some there might pop some (for so far as i could see) yellow flames out of my exhaust tips.

Its a tubby with a few minor mods running 14 psi of boost. But on the otherhand my old 323f astina GT was doing the same much more frequently as my tubby.
I assume every car with the big flapper thing (maf sens) behind the air filter runs very rich.
They where both decatted though i think that makes a huge diff to pop some extreme flames.

Also got a 3gp of my old mazda, its a bit rice i know but i liked it Yaw \:D/ .the noise was way to loud to. I prefer the sound of my dep2 exhaust on my tubby to the astina's :lol: :lol:.
I think my mr2 pops the same colour flames as the movie below!
Funny was that i had a double freeflow system that did pop the flames equally from both mufflers, how i managed that i dont know cause it was a home made catback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8--LbFMtNo

Every mr2 owner has to deal with the compliments as they are stunning cars to look at.
Here in holland driving with a rhd car makes people even more positive about it.
Had several compliments allready from women to middleage grumpy suite guys :mrgreen:

Could not go without her i can tell you O:), just fell in love :).

Btw sorry for the bad grammatic i'm dutch lol :lol: :lol:

you should've got the V6 astina, now that is a NICE sounding engine! :clap:
glenn

Post by glenn »

Indeed it is but i had the model with the popup headlights :mrgreen: , much more preferred the shape of that car to its newer model.
Also the pb-05 engine in combination with the car is a little faster then the lantis v6. I thought it was called the lantis (this newer model of the 323f).

Anyway thet v6 sounds amazing. Ever heard of the 2,5 liter version? you got a klze and a klde. ITs the klze you wanne have, i heard this engine revs amazing and the sounds it produces. yumyum \:D/

Just type klze on youtube. Great engines that!
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Nice flamage there Olly! Looks like you are getting blue flames? Awesome :mrgreen:
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

I normally get a nice blue flame with a tinge of yellow out of both pipe from the berk tech exhaust.

its like as you le the revs drop all you get is a woaaarrrrf.......then pop :D
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

you guys not remember bunsen burners in science lessons at school, the soft yellow and roaring blue, its all about the mixture thats burning
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

willfinch36 wrote:See mine for yourself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK0AyC_L-yo

There's just something strangely entertaining about watching exhausts popping flames - nice one :thumleft:

My only regret now is not asking the taxi guy how big my flames were but the thought only occurred to me 30 minutes later - yup I'm no good at snappy come backs either :lol:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

CM1GT wrote:you guys not remember bunsen burners in science lessons at school, the soft yellow and roaring blue, its all about the mixture thats burning

I remember those lessons :D But I seem to recall reading a post on here about someone getting different colour flames from putting in different coloured fluids in his water injection? Was that just a load of rubbish?
greeny

Post by greeny »

TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

greeny wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FdXiUQ1Rnk

Heres some of my flames :mrgreen:

I can see that flamethrower you have as a side exit exhaust coming in useful for dealing with inconsiderate drivers when they try to overtake you :lol: :clap:
MR2UK

Post by MR2UK »

glenn wrote:Indeed it is but i had the model with the popup headlights :mrgreen: , much more preferred the shape of that car to its newer model.
Also the pb-05 engine in combination with the car is a little faster then the lantis v6. I thought it was called the lantis (this newer model of the 323f).

Anyway thet v6 sounds amazing. Ever heard of the 2,5 liter version? you got a klze and a klde. ITs the klze you wanne have, i heard this engine revs amazing and the sounds it produces. yumyum \:D/

Just type klze on youtube. Great engines that!

yea i just called it astina as you had i guess its what was sold in your country?

i used to own a 323f BA Z5 1.5 and then a Lantis Type R 2.0 V6 KFZE

nice cars i then moved to a 1.6 eunos but miss having a larger engine :-k
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

You're partially right about bunsen burners :) The bluer the flame, the more complete the combustion. Yellow is an incomplete reaction, ie the oxygen and fuel levels were not matched at a good enough ratio to get a perfect burn.

IIRC you get yellow (and larger) flames when there's some kind of chamber involved for the gasses to build up. So straight through pipes should result in blue flames and exhausts with a silencing chamber should result in yellower flames. Obviously they still have to be pretty free flowing to get any kind of flame out the back at all.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

greeny wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FdXiUQ1Rnk

Heres some of my flames :mrgreen:

nice, spat the sensor out :lol:
greeny

Post by greeny »

My old man recording nearly spat his heart out lol :mrgreen:
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....

Return to “Driving Experiences”