Imprezza vs mr2turbo

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Graeme Shaw

Imprezza vs mr2turbo

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Hi all
I have recently found a freind of a freind has a modded imprezza.
Apparently hes well into cars and he lives near me.
Its looking like I will run into him before long!

I dont know much about imprezzas, but I do know its an older shape and apparently is running 360bhp and 360 talks to match.
Aftermarket turbo and dont know what else.

Normally fair pretty well with these, but if I assume the power qouted is genuine, will i keep up?

For quickness,:
im running about 293bhp at 1 bar and 250 lbs ft torque.
Last edited by Graeme Shaw on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The TVIS Kid

Re: Imprezza vs mr2turbo

Post by The TVIS Kid »

I would imagine he would get you off the line but not by much then you would probably catch and pass due to AWD transmission losses. However throw in some corners and he will probably be away.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

AWD transmission losses is rubbish. It means there is less power per wheel but there are more wheels being powered.

I would think with similar weight, more power and MUCH more torque he's going to find you quite easy pickings if I'm honest.
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

is his power proved?
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Will just be straight line stuff.
No his power aint proved. Im just assuming hes telling the truth!
Hope fully he isnt!!

Might just turn the boost up to 2 bar.......
Marf

Post by Marf »

:lol:

not worth lunching your engine for the sake of beating a common or garden impreza :P

Which model is it, the newer they are they heavier they are :thumleft:
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

matt_mr2t wrote:AWD transmission losses is rubbish. It means there is less power per wheel but there are more wheels being powered.

I would think with similar weight, more power and MUCH more torque he's going to find you quite easy pickings if I'm honest.

I think you'll find its not rubbish at all...

Transmission losses are created by mechanical devices in the drivetrain and the car in question has 3 differentials to mr2's 1.

Each diff is roughly only 96% efficient, hence 4wd losing around 10% tractive effort over 2wd.

Only benefit is they have a greater contact patch to transmit the power to the road. Once you can get the power down (speaking from a SLJ point of view) 2wd > 4wd.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

BarronMR wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:AWD transmission losses is rubbish. It means there is less power per wheel but there are more wheels being powered.

Transmission losses are created by mechanical devices in the drivetrain and the car in question has 3 differentials to mr2's 1.

Each diff is roughly only 96% efficient, hence 4wd losing around 10% tractive effort over 2wd.

Only benefit is they have a greater contact patch to transmit the power to the road. Once you can get the power down (speaking from a SLJ point of view) 2wd > 4wd.

Exactly which websites do you read matt?!?!?!! :roll:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

There is more to it than just the power you have, what tyres do you have and how good a driver are you? If all is good you should have no problem on any roads or around corners.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Well i've had a quick blat with an Impreza that was tuned on the same dyno as mine so was all fair. I had around 260bhp and he had around 300bhp. I was pulling away very easily from it and they surprisingly don't differ that much in weight to be honest.
SimonPearse

Post by SimonPearse »

Although its now excluded under the regulations, a few years ago 4wd was legal in f1. AFAIK there was only ever one occasion when a 4wd car won a gp.
All because of power losses and weight.
bill

Post by bill »

My mate has a 309bhp classic shape scoob, i took it up pod and got 13.2 1/4 mile, he's car is defo quicker than my tubby with basic mods, zorst,3" downpipe, filter, intercooler, hard pipes & standard boost.

Not had a go against it, but i know what the result will be anyway, looks like scooby 1 mr2 0.

so going off that, i'd say your going to get beat mate

hopefully when i get my ebc and a map it will be a different story :?:
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

my other toy....

Factory 305bhp (wih prodrive kit on it.)

They have that much grip they can make a bad driver look good.

At that sort of power though it will all be about driver not car.
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

Neil_turbo wrote:my other toy....

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b308/ ... CN3241.jpg

yeah but its damn ugly neil :lol: :lol:
1993 GT TURBO
whitetrash

Post by whitetrash »

Wish i'd have bought an Impreza :cry:
Got Boost?!
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

marc GT Turbo wrote:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b308/ ... CN3241.jpg

But what about the noise =P~
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

Neil_turbo wrote:
marc GT Turbo wrote:

But what about the noise =P~

I must admit the boxer engine creates an orgasmic noise esp with a good decat and exhaust.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

sw20GTS wrote:
I must admit the boxer engine creates an orgasmic noise esp with a good decat and exhaust.

It isn't so much the boxer configuration as the unequal length exhaust manifold. Scoobys with equal length manifolds sound just like an inline 4.

Just thought I'd chip in :lol:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

mr2nut123 wrote:
BarronMR wrote:

Exactly which websites do you read matt?!?!?!! :roll:

Listen, I didnt say there arent power losses. I just said all this talk about AWD power losses being a bad thing is rubbish.

It's obvious that adding prop shafts, additional diffs, trasnfer boxes, extra drive shafts etc means more power is lost through the mechanics.

But add it up, the Imprezza in question has enough additional power to compensate for it.
Too many people are too quick to shout "4wd power losses" without even seeing a race take place. I say try it and see for yourself what happens.

I'd say with similar power and weight an MR2 would win, and fairly comfortably. But the Impreza in question has nearly 70bhp more and if it's true it has 360lb of torque to match, it's going to make mince meat of the 2 IMO.

Slarty, the unequal length manifold thing is true I believe. But the newer Subraru's still sound vastly better than an inline 4. Are the new ones 5 cylinder?
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

bobhatton wrote:There is more to it than just the power you have, what tyres do you have and how good a driver are you? If all is good you should have no problem on any roads or around corners.

Bob

As already mentioned, Itll be in a straight line I would imagine, so unless its wet, tyres and driver skill wont really come into it.

However I have drag tyres and I do a little test driving for a tv show in my white overalls...........

G

Return to “Driving Experiences”