Tubby vs E46 M3

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Olly P

Tubby vs E46 M3

Post by Olly P »

I've always wondered how my tubby would compare to an E46 M3 - one of my favourite cars.

The other day, I was pootling along a dual carriage way with my friend in the car, when I saw some headlights approach rapidly from behind - an M3.

The chap pulled alongside me and just hung there. This only means one thing.

It was one of those enjoyable encounters where the other guy is generally interested in seeing how the two cars compared. We slowed to 20mph. As soon as he floored it, so did I. I was surprised to see my car pull ahead (his front wheel roughly next to me) and he was unable to pull it back all the way well in to 5th gear.

Boy does that straight six sound nice and full beans when it's right next to your window 8)

We did the same about three more times, and the two cars were pretty evenly matched. Nice chap in the M3, and he even shouted over "I can't keep up with that!".

Best of all, I had my mate Stu in the car, who is 6'8" and weighs 20stone. I would have had the better of him if I'd been on my own.

Great fun though and good to see a 17yr old tubby can hold its own against M-power's finest. :thumleft:
JJ

Re: Tubby vs E46 M3

Post by JJ »

Boost upgrades Olly ?!!

They're good engines with no blowers though ! :thumleft: Few people turbocharging them now... now imagine how they would then go ! :mrgreen:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

JJ wrote:Boost upgrades Olly ?!!

They're good engines with no blowers though ! :thumleft: Few people turbocharging them now... now imagine how they would then go ! :mrgreen:

Horse power freaks in the US are supplying stage 3 turbo kits for them. 1040 hp :lol:

I know what you mean. I always get the knobs in boxters, AMG's, M6 R33/R34 GTR boys. I raced a guy in a brand new Audi RS4 and he couldn't keep up with me 8)
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I was pushing an E46 M3 down the A13 once after he initially drove all over me.

Still want one though.

I'd imagine the lighter and more powerful CSL is a different proposition. :-k
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Olly P wrote:I've always wondered how my tubby would compare to an E46 M3 - one of my favourite cars.

The other day, I was pootling along a dual carriage way with my friend in the car, when I saw some headlights approach rapidly from behind - an M3.

It was one of those enjoyable encounters where the other guy is generally interested in seeing how the two cars compared. We slowed to 20mph. As soon as he floored it, so did I. I was surprised to see my car pull ahead (his front wheel roughly next to me) and he was unable to pull it back all the way well in to 5th gear.

Boy does that straight six sound nice and full beans when it's right next to your window 8)

We did the same about three more times, and the two cars were pretty evenly matched. Nice chap in the M3, and he even shouted over "I can't keep up with that!".

Best of all, I had my mate Stu in the car, who is 6'8" and weighs 20stone. I would have had the better of him if I'd been on my own.

Great fun though and good to see a 17yr old tubby can hold its own against M-power's finest. :thumleft:

Impressive if your garage is up to date. 1.1bar circa 300bhp?
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

mr2nut123 wrote:
Olly P wrote:I've always wondered how my tubby would compare to an E46 M3 - one of my favourite cars.

I work that out that he has a better power to weight than the M3 :-k
Mr2 300bhp 1.3t = 230.7 bhp per ton
BMW 340bhp 1.57t = 216bhp per ton

At the very least I'd expect early acceleration of the 2 to be better.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

I've always liked this one, the sound 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zJvvVnHUAk
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

Check my garage dude.

mr2nut123 wrote:

Yes, it's up-to-date. Am running just under 290 @ 1.0bar.

Was hitting 1.1bar against the M3 (was a chilly night) so prob just under 300bhp.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

i got beat by an e46 m3 once, had only had the car a few days though and it was raining :lol:
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

Having owned both, they are very different really. The turbo feels a lot more frantic (I was running probbly around 260 or so), but probably quite comparable in terms of intial acceleration.

To me though the m3 feels in a different world up above 100 though, not only in terms of the ease it keeps going but just how much more composed it feels at that speed.

:)
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Dave Couzens wrote:Having owned both, they are very different really. The turbo feels a lot more frantic (I was running probbly around 260 or so), but probably quite comparable in terms of intial acceleration.

To me though the m3 feels in a different world up above 100 though, not only in terms of the ease it keeps going but just how much more composed it feels at that speed.

:)

My tubby always felt a little light above 100mph from the front. Kind of expected with all the weight at the back by that point.

I would assume being front engined, at those speeds, the M3 is better balanced with the engine at the front.
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

It just feels planted and surefooted, inspires confidence
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I hear alot of people saying the mr2 is light over 100mph but I have never experienced this in 6 and a half years of owning mine, im rarely below that to be honest and it feels solid right over 160 to me. Ive raced alot of m3's and they are undoubtably good cars, Yet to come across one of the newer style ones tho.

Graeme
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Dave Couzens wrote:It just feels planted and surefooted, inspires confidence

I've been in as CSL around Oulton Park (was a passenger) with a friend of mine a couple of months ago. Was very impressive, just felt like such a well sorted chassis, no vices, seemed like it would be very easy to drive quickly and it did pile on the speed with consumate ease.

Very impressive. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Lauren wrote:
Dave Couzens wrote:It just feels planted and surefooted, inspires confidence

I've been in as CSL around Oulton Park (was a passenger) with a friend of mine a couple of months ago. Was very impressive, just felt like such a well sorted chassis, no vices, seemed like it would be very easy to drive quickly and it did pile on the speed with consumate ease.

Very impressive. :+:

Have you seen the price difference in the standard M3 and the CSL :shock:
A guy I know bought a CSL, it wasnt new, probably a good few years old and yet it still cost him £35k
Nice guy but I reckon daddy financed it tbh.

Trickster, I didnt say the 2 was TOO light, but it does definately feel like you have more weight than usuall towards the back of the car. At those speeds how often have you had to change direction quickly?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Yep, was 40K for M3 qand 60K for the CSL IIRC.

Talking to my friend he said that that he got his CSL for 24K so prices have reduced as the cars have got older.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Think my mate got his about 2 years ago.

Never seen it in the flesh but it does look pretty hardcore from the pictures. The seats look awsome, if a little uncomfortable :lol:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:Think my mate got his about 2 years ago.

Never seen it in the flesh but it does look pretty hardcore from the pictures. The seats look awsome, if a little uncomfortable :lol:

The seats are very good, I found, seemed to do the job for going round Oulton in no problem. :+:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Lauren wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:Think my mate got his about 2 years ago.

The seats are very good, I found, seemed to do the job for going round Oulton in no problem. :+:

It's everywhere else I would think they'd be a bit of a nightmare.
Imagine having to drive for a few hours to get TO a track. :-k
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:
It's everywhere else I would think they'd be a bit of a nightmare.
Imagine having to drive for a few hours to get TO a track. :-k

Why? They seemed pretty comfortable to me. Seats that help hold you in position when you are going for it are not necessarily uncomfortable on longer journeys. They are often more expensively designed seats that actually support you better.

I've got those bewinged recaros in my teg. They might look solely designed for serious driving but they are easily the most comfortable seats i've ever had in a car. So don't be deceived by the looks of a seat.

Return to “Driving Experiences”