Clio V6 255

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

matt_mr2t

Clio V6 255

Post by matt_mr2t »

No, I didn't race one showing it up etc. My friend's got one. He bought it brand new on release and finally, Saturday night, i got taken for a spin in it. First thing is, they look bonkers, nut's! They're so wide and aggressive looking. They only share the roof and windscreen with the standard clio's body work. Then you get in and all of a sudden it's all so familiar again. Totally standard clio dash. It's not a bad dash but not a special dash. Fire it up and suprisingly, it's pretty quite. Set off down the back road and i notice it's very eager to go. I can feel with every increase on the rev's an increase in speed, even at the lower end. At the moment, it's all low rev driving as we're on back roads. Finally we get onto some open road and he nails it hard. That engine, which is INSIDE the car with only a pair of covers over it suddenly starts screaming and the noise is pure drama. Very very nice sounding V6. It's not as quick as a suitably modded tubby, but then that's obvious, as a modded tubby should have more power. But what was good was that the Clio seemed to make use of every one of it's 255 bhp. In short, spectacular looking car, bit of an occassion to drive it, not face pullingly fast but doesn't need to be, rarer than rocking horse xxxx, completely impractical and i want one lol.
Ekona

Re: Clio V6 255

Post by Ekona »

Agree with you 100% Matt, I think they're utterly brilliant cars. Like you say they're not the quickest nowadays, but the experience of having such a peach of an engine inside something so small and wild looking more than makes up for it.

I'd buy one if I had the spare cash. :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

You can pick them up now for about 12k which isn't bad. I wouldn't touch the earlier phase 1's with the rounder head lights. Heard they're much slower and handle like pigs. Seen them going for less than 10k now :shock:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Yeah, would be the mk2 if I did get one, and in Liquid Yellow. Beautiful colour. They're still quite expensive for what is essentially a Clio, I think that's the only thing that would put me off.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

There's hardly a part in common with a standard clio that's the way i see it. His one was Illiad blue which is very nice. I stayed round a woman's place and she had a megane r26 in liquid yellow. It is indeed a fantastic colour.
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

Is thisnew style clio or old style clio?? the mk2 or the latest mk3? Wasnt aware there was a mk3 V6 so i am assuming its the mk2 :)

Always loved these.....would defo have fun, not mindblowingly quick, but still having that V6 note behind you would be heaven, can always supercharge or Turbo it :P

Know a lad with a black one and its absolutely stunning!!!
thebody

Post by thebody »

There 4 mks of clios
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Only ever been one real V6 Clio, but it came in mk1 and mk2 flavours. The mk2 was different externally mainly by the front light cluster, but the chassis and suspension had also been played with to stop it being so twitchy in the corners.

I know the mk1 shape Clio you're thinking of, but that never came as a V6, only the mk2 did and that's the one that came in mk1 & mk2 types. Confused yet?! :mrgreen:

There's a cracking vid on Youtube somewhere of a V6 with an SC conversion and a sequential 'box fitted. Sounds like the depths of hell itself.

EDIT: 4 Clios? I thought there were only three? I must've missed one somewhere. I thought there was the original boxy one, then the 172/182 shape, then the current one which has just been facelifted.
thebody

Post by thebody »

Mk1
mk2
mk3
mk4

:oldtongue:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

The V6 clio is a mark 2 of which there were 2 different phases. All clio's have done this. The mark 1 clio had 3 disticint phases much like the mr2's had revisions. Usually they just did mild face lifts like head lights and body trim. The mark 2 clio did the same. Based on the renault sport clio's: phase 1 was 172 (with the horrid round head lights) phase 2 was still a 172 but moved to the much better head lights. Phase 3 moved to the 182 but by then the V6 had been cancelled. The latest is a mark 3 Clio and i believe phase 2 is on it's way of that one. The super charged v6 (presuming it's silver with some black graphics and possibly black wheels) belongs to a fella called Mike from Clio Sport. It goes like a stabbed rat hitting 60 in less than 4 seconds. Iirc it's 'only' 390 bhp but it's more than enough to make it a seriously fast car. Sadly also very flawed. It's blown 1 engine, various clutches and gear boxes. Sadly they were built to handle what they have and not much else. Hardly any one makes after market clutches so mod one at your peril!
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

What Matt said. The pictured mk2 & mk3 are the same car, just different facelifts.
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Ive worked on and driven both phase 2 and phase 3 clio v6,

Love the look of the ph3 but there awefull to drive
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

You mean mark 2 phase 1 and phase 2 ;) Don't have make it confusing don't they!
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

No more so than the MR2 with mk1 a+b, mk2 rev1-5, and mk3 pre and post '03! :lol:
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

matt_mr2t wrote: The mark 2 clio did the same. Based on the renault sport clio's: phase 1 was 172 (with the horrid round head lights) phase 2 was still a 172 but moved to the much better head lights.

LOL I used to have a 172 Clio Cup (great little car) but I had to have the round head light version, think it looks so much better than the later ones :thumleft: I actually made a point of only looking at the earlier ones!

IIRC the actual performance of the V6 is not that much better than the standard 172/ 182's
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

No they're not really quick on paper.
0-60 is late 5s 1/4 miles is late 14s early 15's and in terms of lap times isnt much, if at all quicker than a 172.

But it's not about that. It's a drama car. The noise and the occasion and the attention set it so far apart. I owned a mk1 16v and have been in 172's & a 182 and they left me feeling dull tbh. The V6 was just so much more.
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

matt_mr2t wrote:No they're not really quick on paper.
0-60 is late 5s 1/4 miles is late 14s early 15's and in terms of lap times isnt much, if at all quicker than a 172.

But it's not about that. It's a drama car. The noise and the occasion and the attention set it so far apart. I owned a mk1 16v and have been in 172's & a 182 and they left me feeling dull tbh. The V6 was just so much more.

Yeah I would love one. Super cool.
mark239

Post by mark239 »

best production use of a peugeot/citroen v6 engine ever!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

mark239 wrote:best production use of a peugeot/citroen v6 engine ever!

I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with those 2.
Seeing as how Pug have just released their most powerful engine in a production car which was a 3.0 V6 TD.

Pug and Citroen are one and the same, Renault are more in league with Nissan IIRC.
mark239

Post by mark239 »

The clio V6 engine is the peugeot/citroen ES9J4 and ES9J4S in the phase 2. My best mate has a phase 2 (after having a phase 1) and the only difference between it and the form as found in the xantia V6 and 406V6 is camshafts and manifolds.

The last generation V6 that was developed by citroen/peugeot/renault/volvo was also shared with other manufacturers (The PRV V6) - you will find it in quite a few other cars as well (The delorean for example)

Renault also used it in the Laguna V6, Fiat also used it in the ulysses

I have a BX with the ES9J4 half transplanted in. Should go quite well. Im having to make my old manifolds, and have got my hands on his old cams. Going to be running it on Emerald ECU, and a small turbo will be used.

edit

Here it is on it's way into the BX

Return to “Driving Experiences”