Fiesta ST

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

RobCrezz

Fiesta ST

Post by RobCrezz »

A mate of mine has bought a year old Fiesta ST, really nice little hatch. I wouldnt call it "fast" but it had enough power to have fun with. The thing that amazed me most was how quick it could fly down a bumpy bit of road, in the Mr2 I would have been crashing around and the suspension would be bottoming out. On a smoother bit the power of the tubby would have left it, but im still impressed with the way it handles bumps and stays composed. Reminded me of my old 1.7 puma/

Cool little hatch :thumleft:
Quigonjay

Re: Fiesta ST

Post by Quigonjay »

horrible interior though for a modern hatch, guy at work has one
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I would of expected abit more considering its a 2.0l, there not much quicked then our C2 VTS 1.6 125bhp. I would of hoped for clio sport performance.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

un1eash wrote:I would of expected abit more considering its a 2.0l, there not much quicked then our C2 VTS 1.6 125bhp. I would of hoped for clio sport performance.

Yeah straight line performance wasnt shocking but it seemed enough, and he is going to get the mountune 185 upgrade I think.

I liked it. I wouldnt buy one, and much prefer the tubby, but I thought it was cool, I quite liked the interior too.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Perhaps it's an age thing but I'm sick and tired of the rock hard suspension on the tubby and now appreciate a car that can cover dodgy surfaces quicker with less fear of taking off and landing in a nearby bush.

Although IMO the Fez ST is not just under powered but hideously under powered. They're not light cars either. I think it's a good few leagues behind the Clio 182 - 197's and not far from the price IIRC? Although I would imagine loads of people still get the Ford discounts making the ST a bargain for the price.

Why Ford didn't stick at least the Focus ST170 engine in there amazes me. It could handle it, the ST handling is pretty damn good IMO.
michael

Post by michael »

I wasn't keen on the driving position in the Fiesta, felt like you were sat "on" the car rather than "in" it - like having a dining room chair instead of a proper sports seat.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I didnt drive it tbh, my mate was driving (as it was his) but he was bombing it around with quite reassurance.

He then moved onto a Focus ST (2.5 20v turbo one) and I was very impressed with that one.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

I think the reason they only gave it 150bhp was to get younger drivers in with cheaper insurance.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I thought thats what the Zetec S was, looks like an ST but even less power.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

wasnt there some sort of performance pack available with these taking it up to approx 185hp?
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Yeah the Mountune one that Rob mentioned earlier.

I had my car mapped by a mountune dude IIRC.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

ah right missed that
i thought this 185 upgrade was available from ford on new cars?
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Mountune and Ford are very close. It's not out of the question that they would provide the service for Ford. I think come to think of it my uni chip was done by a former mountune mapper and my clutch was fitted by a former mountune mechanic. Both really nice blokes. I know one def worked there and they def knew each other but forget the exact's.
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

My mate drove one the other day and commented on how impressed he was considering it's a Fiesta. Apparently handles very well and he liked the interior. Pretty good brakes too. The only downside was lack of power, it could do with an extra 30bhp at least.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

They do feel like your sitting on the car and not in it, the VTS is alot cheaper to buy and insure then an ST. My mates just sold his ST for a Corsa VXR, now thats a hot hatch with plenty of potential. Still wouldnt have one though as all of them have the power going to the wrong wheels.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Clio 197 surely has to be the daddy of the small hot hatches.

The Clio has, since the end of the 205 GTi been the best performing small hot hatch IMO.

The handle so well it tends to put them in a different league to most rivals. And they generally have more power than their rivals through the generations too.
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

I hate these stupid cards. as jeremy clarkson said

ST = Sanitary Towel.

Ford = Fail.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

willfinch36 wrote:I hate these stupid cards. as jeremy clarkson said

ST = Sanitary Towel.

Ford = Fail.

Another person who takes Jezza way too seriously :roll:

Fords are very good cars and no one what so ever would ever refer to an ST as Sanitary Towell had he not said it.
crip

Post by crip »

having had a focus st170, they do handle a lot better and comfortably than a tubby in rough surfaces but i find their interiors feel very cheap and plasticky, even though mine had heated leather.

i much prefer the new vauxhalls of which i had the 1.6t (180bhp, 6 speed) which was also very comfortable and much better put together than the ford
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

matt_mr2t wrote:
willfinch36 wrote:I hate these stupid cards. as jeremy clarkson said

ST = Sanitary Towel.

Ford = Fail.

Another person who takes Jezza way too seriously :roll:

Fords are very good cars and no one what so ever would ever refer to an ST as Sanitary Towell had he not said it.[/quote

When did I say fords were bad cars? My first car at 17 was a mk5 fiesta zetec s 1.6 running about 120bhp that was nippy and not expensive and nothing went wrong with it for the year I had it....

the mk6 fiesta ST on the other hand....

Return to “Driving Experiences”