[Mk2] [NA] Reverse Light Switch on an Auto

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toxo
IMOC Committee

[Mk2] [NA] Reverse Light Switch on an Auto

Post by toxo »

I'm quite familiar with how the reverse light system works on a manual mk2, having had to replace the switch on the gearbox myself. However I have a friend with a Rev2 Auto which I think has a broken reversing switch. When putting the car into reverse, there's a 'bing bing bing' noise to remind you you're in reverse, the 'R' in the middle of the dashboard lights up, and the reversing lights come on. Occasionally the 'binger' stops 'binging' or 'bings' intermittently and the reverse lights go off - usually this coincides with the vehicle starting to move, so I figured it's the reverse switch. However I can't see an equivalent switch on the top of the gearbox and figure that it might be linked into the selector unit rather than into the top of the box.

Does anyone know how the system works in an auto? Am I just being blind and not seeing the switch on the gearbox?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Reverse Light Switch on an Auto

Post by toxo »

Found it now - the auto box has a different switch (2 pin) and it's in a different place. These 2 diagrams from the BGB explain it better than I can!

This one shows the complete circuit, and indicates that the switch is different depending on the transmission type, but is in the same place in the circuit.

This one shows the locations of both switches, Auto switch is marked N1, Manual switch is marked as B1.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “Electrical”