where did all the timing go??????????????????????????????

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Fizzy

where did all the timing go??????????????????????????????

Post by Fizzy »

Silly lack of power - nothing altered cept new coil - static timing found to be at 5 ruddy degrees!!! Dizzy def not moved - unichip fitted - no error codes - how did that happen???? (ecu reset of course) :evil: :evil: :evil:
raptor95GTS

Re: where did all the timing go?????????????????????????????

Post by raptor95GTS »

fizzy. wrote:Silly lack of power - nothing altered cept new coil - static timing found to be at 5 ruddy degrees!!! Dizzy def not moved - unichip fitted - no error codes - how did that happen???? (ecu reset of course) :evil: :evil: :evil:

sounds like you didn't do a reset before tunning? Always a worry
Fizzy

Re: where did all the timing go??????????????????????????????

Post by Fizzy »

course I did - was the first thing I did! tHATS WHAT MAKES IT SO BLOODY CONFUSING! .....
MR2Mania

Re: where did all the timing go?????????????????????????????

Post by MR2Mania »

fizzy. wrote:Silly lack of power - nothing altered cept new coil - static timing found to be at 5 ruddy degrees!!! Dizzy def not moved - unichip fitted - no error codes - how did that happen???? (ecu reset of course) :evil: :evil: :evil:

Mate, if the Unichip was installed properly, the timing is advanced on the dizzy, and then brought back to normal by the Unichip. It's done so that the Unichip sees the TDC before it happens.

BTW, are you putting the car into diagnostic mode before checking the timing? You have to short 2 nodes out on the diagnostic plug (forget which ones).
JJ

Post by JJ »

I had this problem the other week on mine, started running flat as a fart.... couldn't put it down to anything other that the distributer had moved ( when bolts are loose, it will rotate in the direction of retarding the timing ).

Thats the thing, wasn't really loose, well to what I thought... but it gradually got worse over a two week period.

Quick advance and back to its glory again.

I did have visions of the cam belt jumping a tooth, but this would have been noted after the timing advance and the car would still be running like crap..... normal assumption with the belt jumping... but the timing tensioner on these cars are simply a gem keeping the belt in check that its almost impossible for the belt to jump other than it being worn, contaminated or theres play in the pullys somewhere.

:)
Last edited by JJ on Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

JJ wrote:Nije,

I had this problem the other week on mine, started running flat as a fart.... couldn't put it down to anything other that the distributer had moved ( when bolts are loose, it will rotate in the direction of retarding the timing ).

Thats the thing, wasn't really loose, well to what I thought... but it gradually got worse over a two week period.

Quick advance and back to its glory again.

I did have visions of the cam belt jumping a tooth, but this would have been noted after the timing advance and the car would still be running like crap..... normal assumption with the belt jumping... but the timing tensioner on these cars are simply a gem keeping the belt in check that its almost impossible for the belt to jump other than it being worn, contaminated or theres play in the pullys somewhere.

:)

If JJ's right, then when the Unichip was installed, it could be that they didn't tighten the dizzy up properly. In which case, set the timing back and tighten properly, but I'd still recommend calling your Unichip dealer to check what you have to do to check the timing and what to set it too. The last thing you want to do is have it advanced over standard! :shock:
JJ

Post by JJ »

they didn't tighten the dizzy up properly

:lol: I did this at the beginning of the week, I spent so much time adjusting the timing on this chaps car with the distributer being almost impossible to move, I forgot to tighten it up !!

Needless to say, I was back on the phone later that evening to tell them to bring it back ! :shock:

What a salad ! :lol:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Fizzy

Post by Fizzy »

carfull what you say...it was your old mate @ owens who fitted it....and you left me stuck in town all bloody day!! Nope, defo ruddy tight dizzy, and defo diagnostic shorted - will investigate more if it ever stops raining!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

fizzy. wrote:carfull what you say...it was your old mate @ owens who fitted it....and you left me stuck in town all bloody day!! Nope, defo ruddy tight dizzy, and defo diagnostic shorted - will investigate more if it ever stops raining!

I've had the timing altered on my rev3 tubby by turning the dizzy, so it can be done.

Mine was plinking on the dyno so they knocked the timing back slightly and smoothed it out. Still made the same power top end
Fizzy

Post by Fizzy »

i missed the point there?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

fizzy. wrote:i missed the point there?

just pointing out that by moving the dizzy you can alter the timing :D

Return to “Mechanical”