Main cap torque settings?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bender Unit

Main cap torque settings?

Post by Bender Unit »

The Toyo BGB says to torque the main cap bolts to 42lbs/ft. The instructions that came with my ARP main cap bolts states to 60lbs/ft. Out of interest which torque rating should I go too as IIRC there was some issue in the past with ARP listing the incorrect torque settings which resulted in problems?

I am plastigauging the crank and new bearings to ensure the proper clearances and want to make sure I torque it right so I don’t naff up the readings and get incorrect clearances.

Thanks in advance

James
lower

Re: Main cap torque settings?

Post by lower »

can't tell you what the correct torque settings are for your bolts for certain, but you can't reduce the clearances by overtorquing the cap bolts. the cap tightens up against its opposing part and contact face to face, so torquing the bolts higher will not cause the cap to tighten further on the bearing itself as they are already clamped against its opposing part.

you would run the risk of shearing the the bolts or stripping threads if you over torque though. arp bolts have different heat treatment to standard though so i would go with the arp recommendations.
^Trickster^

Re: Main cap torque settings?

Post by ^Trickster^ »

When i did my last engine, im sure i did them to 50ft lbs, the conrods are faced flat so you cant nip the bearing, the torque setting is designed depending on how much vibration and stress is on them as so they do not come undone during normal operation, I use an electronic snap-on torque wrench and its suprising how often you go over and dont realise with a standard torque wrench.

Graeme

Return to “Mechanical”