Caught out by a sleeper

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

dbiagioni

Caught out by a sleeper

Post by dbiagioni »

Driving along late saturday night in my 255 clio v6 and went to overtake a standard looking polo.
The polo pulled away from me which left me scratching my head, so i changed down a gear and accelerated hard, just about gettting in front of, the polo, we then had a little play around and i was marginally faster.

We stopped at a set of traffic lights so i wound down my window and asked what engine was in it, to which the reply was 1.8 20v turbo, again i pulled away and got in front of the polo but it was close.

Im aware my v6 isnt a flying machine and iv owwned a few sleepers myself but it did make me feel a little silly.
Olly P

Re: Caught out by a sleeper

Post by Olly P »

I once pulled up at some lights next to a standard Audi A4, identical to this one:

The road went from 3 in to 2 lanes, so I planned to put my foot down when the lights went green to get ahead.

The Audi also floored it, and he just flew. I simply could not catch it, even at full boost.

When I pulled up next to him, he explained he was running the 414bhp V8 from the RS4 in it.

I had to applaud him :clap:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Already? They've only been out a while!

My mate used to have a 285bhp Nova lol. Crap off the line but from 30-120mph nothing much would touch it. They only weight about 850kg's I think.

I rememeber a guy on Cliosport who had put a 2.0 172 engine + nos into a standard looking Clio 1.2 body shell and stripped it right out too. Must have been bloody quick.
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

matt_mr2t wrote:Already? They've only been out a while!

Well, unless I see the engine I suppose there's always doubt. I don't remember it sounding very V8-ish to be honest.
skipp123

Post by skipp123 »

cliowilliams had a guy that put a audi tt engne in a x reg bubble light clio 1.2 in burnt orange had hub caps and 320bhp lol dont think he ever got it running compleetly right but would have been a hoot
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

skipp123 wrote:cliowilliams had a guy that put a audi tt engne in a x reg bubble light clio 1.2 in burnt orange had hub caps and 320bhp lol dont think he ever got it running compleetly right but would have been a hoot

Lol, same guy as the 172 engine IIRC!

Trying to remember his name, it might have been Matt. A lot of people told me he was a bit of a prat tbh.
mcoppen

Post by mcoppen »

His name was indeed matt. Cliosport user name was MATT_Black. It was a beast.
skipp123

Post by skipp123 »

no mate hes user name j3ned on williamsclio.co.uk its now matt black with a naughty front mount and 400bhp lmao FWD

still runs mid 12's

this guy was the origanal

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/vie ... highlight=
GhostWKD

Post by GhostWKD »

skipp123 wrote:cliowilliams had a guy that put a audi tt engne in a x reg bubble light clio 1.2 in burnt orange had hub caps and 320bhp lol dont think he ever got it running compleetly right but would have been a hoot

lol remember seeing that run at york iirc and it went up in smoke rather spectacularily :(
skipp123

Post by skipp123 »

lol #-o
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Yup thats the one!

Take it some of you guys are from Cliosport too?

I used to use it alot - Matt16v
GhostWKD

Post by GhostWKD »

matt_mr2t wrote:Yup thats the one!

I just saw it when i was there with Clubcento the Fiat Cinquecento owners club :lol:
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

GhostWKD wrote:

I just saw it when i was there with Clubcento the Fiat Cinquecento owners club :lol:

:-$

:whistle: :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I remember many years ago picking up this HS Chevette for a friend of mine. Anyways down the A13 I lined up at the lights behind a Cossie.

Now I should say this was circa 1990 when Cossie's were a seriously quick car. There I was in this HS Chevette (for the noobys HS stands for homologation special and has a 2.3 twin cam 16v etc..) This Chevette hapenned to be running Twin 48 Webers too.

So off we went, well i was glued to his bumper right up to the speed limit and the Chevette sounded so much better too. I think the poor guy in the Cossie was in shock.

/those were the days.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

Lauren wrote:I remember many years ago picking up this HS Chevette for a friend of mine. Anyways down the A13 I lined up at the lights behind a Cossie.

Now I should say this was circa 1990 when Cossie's were a seriously quick car. There I was in this HS Chevette (for the noobys HS stands for homologation special and has a 2.3 twin cam 16v etc..) This Chevette hapenned to be running Twin 48 Webers too.

So off we went, well i was glued to his bumper right up to the speed limit and the Chevette sounded so much better too. I think the poor guy in the Cossie was in shock.

/those were the days.

Ah yes...was always the HSR I wanted when I was younger:-

http://www.pbase.com/kevin_bryce/image/61492105
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Geoff Munt wrote:
Ah yes...was always the HSR I wanted when I was younger:-

http://www.pbase.com/kevin_bryce/image/61492105

Lovely cars. :+:

Terribly naily, but oh so much fun. The HS/HSR was one of the most succesful 2wd tarmac rally cars.

I used to have a 2.3 Firenza, when I rebuilt the engine I found I had a bent exhaust valve (was on a big valve head). The only place I could get one was from a certain Jerry Johnstone (he used to prepare all the rally cars in teh 70s for dealer team vauxhall), so off i went to his workshop in the middle of nowhere. It was like a veritable treasure trove up there I can tell you with about 4 HS's and an HSR sitting out back in various states of repair! I was also lucky enough to meet Bill Blydenstein who built the engines for DTV. It's like a nostalgia trip!

So I do have a soft spot for the Chevette HS, such an underrated car.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
GhostWKD

Post by GhostWKD »

cartledge_uk wrote:
GhostWKD wrote:

:-$

:whistle: :thumleft:

My old cinq was RR'd at 140bhp few months ago iirc... and that was with cat back on and boost lower than when i had it (clue there heh) :whistle:
mcoppen

Post by mcoppen »

Yep. Same user name as i have here. Still use it a fair bit for the other marques/general chat. Great forum.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Lauren wrote:I remember many years ago picking up this HS Chevette for a friend of mine. Anyways down the A13 I lined up at the lights behind a Cossie.

/those were the days.

But, but, but that's my road!

Return to “Driving Experiences”