IMOC SO SLOW.....

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Hedgehog Dodger

IMOC SO SLOW.....

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

YAWN.......taking me ages to select threads etc.

:roll:
Dale_V

Re: IMOC SO SLOW.....

Post by Dale_V »

duh you have forgot to feed your mouse :wink: It needs energy to run that wheel :D

........Its working fine here 8)
michael

Post by michael »

Really slow here too but I'd put it down to the 1mb connection between 500+ people :)
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

Definitely lagging today - some pages are taking 10 to 20 seconds to appear after following a subject. Hope it's not one of those phpBB DoS bots !
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Goto10 wrote:Definitely lagging today - some pages are taking 10 to 20 seconds to appear after following a subject. Hope it's not one of those phpBB DoS bots !

Steve, do you see this all the time, or just at certain times of the day?

If its still 'slow' can you do a tracert to the IMOC site and post the results.

I'll look at code that will give page generation times for info ..
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

OK, I've got some page generation time code running on the test site - looks like there is a 'cosmetic' bug with it as it doesn't apportion the time taken to make the SQL queries and then PHP process the page correctly, but does calculate the total time correctly.

I'll see if I can fix it, and get it onto the live site - probably will be tomorrow at the earliest now.
craig

Post by craig »

BenF wrote:OK, I've got some page generation time code running on the test site - looks like there is a 'cosmetic' bug with it as it doesn't apportion the time taken to make the SQL queries and then PHP process the page correctly, but does calculate the total time correctly.

I'll see if I can fix it, and get it onto the live site - probably will be tomorrow at the earliest now.

Nice Speal! :lol:

IMOC has been slow for me :(
Jon S

Post by Jon S »

RedMR² wrote:
BenF wrote:OK, I've got some page generation time code running on the test site - looks like there is a 'cosmetic' bug with it as it doesn't apportion the time taken to make the SQL queries and then PHP process the page correctly, but does calculate the total time correctly.

A bit slow for me too.

Damn those 'cosmetic bugs' not apportioning the time! :scratch: :lol:
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Jon S wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

A bit slow for me too.

Damn those 'cosmetic bugs' not apportioning the time! :scratch: :lol:

Well, maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist ;)

The good news is that the code is fixed and running on the Beta site. I've asked the beta site test team to check it out and see if they can break it. If we don't find any problems, I'll roll it across later tonight.

When it is live you'll see something like this at the bottom of every page:

Page generation time: 1.4568s (PHP: 46% - SQL: 54%) - SQL queries: 19

This tells me (and you) how long the page is taking to generate, and where its spending most time.

The difference beween this time, and the time taken for it to be rendered on your screen would be down to the network between the IMOC site and your PC.

FWIW I did some monitoring of our backend SQL server around 12.45 today when the site sees its peak load. It looked like it was under quite a heavy load - but with this mod in place we'll be able to confirm if there are bottlenecks there or not.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

OK, its done :D you can see the page generation times at the bottom of the pages:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4009
craig

Post by craig »

BenF wrote:OK, its done :D you can see the page generation times at the bottom of the pages:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4009

Good work! :thumright:
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

It tends to be slow for me sometimes but I couldn't tie it down to certain times or anything, just one of these things.

The timing counter is good for showing how long a page takes to process but that isn't the whole story. Depending on how many threads your web server uses to process requests dictates the time between requesting the page and getting it. It might only take 0.5s to process the page, but if the threads are being bottlenecked then it could take 5s for your request to be processed. The "end user experience" is that they click to view a thread, wait 5s then the page is generated quickly. Although it took 5.5s all-in the on-page counter will say that it only took 0.5s to process.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

WOW its very quick at my end no probs at all, upgrade your internet connection perhaps??

Return to “Club News and Announcements”