What trackday shall i do!

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

What trackday shall i do!

Post by Scott Barton »

Have been in credit with 'BookaTrack' for a couple of years since a 'cancelled' Anglesey event. Currently have £110 in my account on the site. Its about time I spent it!
Question is, I am not sure which track to spend it on next year!
I have done Bentwaters, Brands Hatch and absolutely lurved Spa Francorchamps (Would love to that again in the dry) but there is plenty of others out there for me to try in this country! What is best value in everybody's opinion..?
Where will I get the biggest :mrgreen: grin :mrgreen: factor!!!

What shall i do!!!!! Give me some ideas and i will add a Poll later on. Whatever has the highest amount of votes after a few months..that will be the one i do! \:D/

PS. I like plenty of run-off area.... :roll:
MartG

Re: What trackday shall i do!

Post by MartG »

Anglesey, March 12th :wink:
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Bloomin typical!
The one date i cant do...am in Scotland for that weekend! Only booked it last week too!
#-o
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Im glad this topic has come about!
Im thinking of taking my rev 3 tubby onto a track, as its something i have never done before, and im sure it will teach me a lot about my car!

Whats the best one for a track virgin, i imagine plenty of run off with nothing too hard to dent my car lol!

How much are you talking for a day?
MartG

Post by MartG »

Hurstie1981 wrote:Whats the best one for a track virgin, i imagine plenty of run off with nothing too hard to dent my car lol!

How much are you talking for a day?

http://www.bookatrack.com

IMOC day at Anglesey 11th March. Book early at £105. Low tyre wear so unlike an airfield you won't wreck a set of tyres, which helps reduce the cost :wink:
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Looks good, but im not sure about what ill need. Do you need to buy a helmet etc?
Whats the chance of damage to your car, i mean, apart from external, do you tend to put a lot of strain on the clutch etc, and whats tyre wear like?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Hurstie1981 wrote:Looks good, but im not sure about what ill need. Do you need to buy a helmet etc?
Whats the chance of damage to your car, i mean, apart from external, do you tend to put a lot of strain on the clutch etc, and whats tyre wear like?

will be posting it up in general section in about 15mins (ie once i've wrote it) very little chance of car damage if you observe rules/drive to your limits etc.

no strain on clutch as no standing start. tyre wear is not that bad expect to lose a couple of mm if you are enthusiastic.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Sounds good, ill wait here patiently lol!
leewaring

Post by leewaring »

Oulton park
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

leewaring wrote:Oulton park

fantastic circuit but not a great one for newbies as its very technical and there are plenty of things to hit should it go pete tong.
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

:shock: Extremely narrow and extremely easy to make contact with barriers....Druids is particularly dangerous

Donington
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Lauren wrote:

fantastic circuit but not a great one for newbies as its very technical and there are plenty of things to hit should it go pete tong.

Trust me...i have a knack of hitting things...especially Armco barriers... :lol:
leewaring

Post by leewaring »

lol... ahhh. well go for elvington again :thumleft:
MartG

Post by MartG »

leewaring wrote:lol... ahhh. well go for elvington again :thumleft:

He's in Kent, so I'd expect someplace like Bruntingthorpe would be nearer for him :wink:
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Best newbie track by an absolute mile is Bedford Autodrome. It's new, with consistent surface and BAGS of run-off. Even a total re-tard could not hurt themselves there.

Just my 2p.

DONT do somewhere like Goodwood. Nasty little circuit. Went round the first right-hander after the start-finish at 100mph completely sideways. Was cool until I realised there was totally no run-off at all. EEK!
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Hmmm...liking the sound of Bedford Autodrome!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

luthor1 wrote:Best newbie track by an absolute mile is Bedford Autodrome. It's new, with consistent surface and BAGS of run-off. Even a total re-tard could not hurt themselves there.

Just my 2p.

DONT do somewhere like Goodwood. Nasty little circuit. Went round the first right-hander after the start-finish at 100mph completely sideways. Was cool until I realised there was totally no run-off at all. EEK!

I've done the west circuit at the palmerdrome (took Matt Neal for a drive round there!) and i don't know if it was just me, but i thought it was just boring layout wise... also totally flat of course (must admit i do like a bit of gradient change, as i feel its a vital ingredient that makes a good circuit).

Maybe the whole GT layout is more fun.... but it just left me unmoved.

I quite liked Goodwood.... but defo an advanced circuit... because it is so quick with minimal run-off.

Brands Hatch Indy, though a bit too short is relatively safe in terms of armco-age.

Other really good one for run-off Rockingham International layout is good fun... it does look a bit mickey mouse, but is actually quite good fun to drive.
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Lauren,

exactly my point about the Bedford Autodrome... For the more novice drivers it is great, and safe, and the scenry does not go whipping past your windows brushing your wing mirrors!!

TBH I don't know what level driver I am, will prob find out in March at Angellsey, but I thought goodwood was scary, bedford was easy to concentrate on your technique... Mallory on the Fireblade was ridiculous... I mean the 'blade does 80mph in first, mallory is not exactly fast! I came through the bus-stop in 2nd, short-shifted to 3rd before the left (cant change gear with left foot-peg on ground!) and kept 3rd all the way down start-finish, round gerards and up to edwina's, so more than half the lap in 1 gear!.

Anyway, I digress...

Would like to go to Brands...

No-one has mentioned Silverstone... this is deceptively dangerous, because if you *do* lose it, chances are it will be at 120+mph!!![/quote]
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

luthor1 wrote:Lauren,

exactly my point about the Bedford Autodrome... For the more novice drivers it is great, and safe, and the scenry does not go whipping past your windows brushing your wing mirrors!!

TBH I don't know what level driver I am, will prob find out in March at Angellsey, but I thought goodwood was scary, bedford was easy to concentrate on your technique... Mallory on the Fireblade was ridiculous... I mean the 'blade does 80mph in first, mallory is not exactly fast! I came through the bus-stop in 2nd, short-shifted to 3rd before the left (cant change gear with left foot-peg on ground!) and kept 3rd all the way down start-finish, round gerards and up to edwina's, so more than half the lap in 1 gear!.

Anyway, I digress...

Would like to go to Brands...

No-one has mentioned Silverstone... this is deceptively dangerous, because if you *do* lose it, chances are it will be at 120+mph!!!
[/quote]

Yep Goodwood can be scary, but as i said its one of those circuits that those with a lot of experience love.

Silverstone=Boringstone.... tis a very boring circuit to drive, unless you are in a single seater (Ie something mental fast).. It's good fun to race at though but thats another story.

Bridge is a good corner as is Copse but the rest is boring.... don't even get me started on Luffield and the like!

As far as i see it, best circuits in the UK (i've drove everywhere except Croft and Thruxton):

Cadwell
Oulton
(Probably Croft here.... i've been round it with a racer friend of mine)
Anglesey
Donington
Rockingham
Knockhill
Mallory
Combe
Brands
Snett
Boringstone

Can't comment on thruxton because i've never been! They don't do trackdays there.
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Silverstone was awesome on the Motorbike (ZX-6R).

I thought Hanger Straight was long, but coming onto it with the back wheel spinning and hitting 155mph by the end for hard-braking right, it felt VERY short. On a bike, Silverston was cool. In the MR2 it would be awful, I mean flat over the start-finish, close to flat through Copse, bit of flicking through magots, hangar would be boring, yeah, in a Mk1NA would be tosh, but on bike is extremely good. good consisten surface and great knee-down action.

Perhaps Bike trackdays are more "fun" though? Not trying to hone skills really, just grinding your sliders to nothing and leaving as many black lines behind you as possible!

You ever done the full circuit Lauren?

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”