border bonnet - where to mount bonnet pins????

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dave wall

border bonnet - where to mount bonnet pins????

Post by dave wall »

Just fitted my new border bonnet, and I'm now gonna fit some hood pins for safety, but the question is, where to mount them????

The hood has 2 cutouts in it, seemingly for the holes to be drilled, but they're right behind the popups, so they're no use, as the pins wouldn't reach the hood. So where is everyone else going to mount theirs?? The slam panel above the rad seemed a good place till I realised that the pin would be coming up through the bonnet right into the raised lump in front of the vents, so thats no good either.

anyone got any ideas??? Or am I missing something?

dave :)
DannyW

Re: border bonnet - where to mount bonnet pins????

Post by DannyW »

Dave does your bonnet sit flush all the way round??
dave wall

Post by dave wall »

yeah pretty much. I've not done the fine adjustments yet as it got dark, but it seems a really good fit. I'll get some photos up on shafster.com tomorrow after I've adjusted it.
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

Thats cool then Dave, i'm having a go at doing mine tomorrow. I'm not sure if you'll need pins either. the problem steve morris had was that his bonnet stuck up at one side behind the headlight so therefore caught the wind whilst driving.

Did you have to adjust your latch mechanism?

Cheers!
DannyW
dave wall

Post by dave wall »

heh....I aint taking any chances with mine, its having pins!

and no, I didn't have to adjust the latch :)
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

Thats cool then, i was dreading moving it as Steve Morris said it was a nightmare job! hopefully mine will fit as well as yours! I've ordered some pins from ebay but like you i'm unsure where to fit them.

Cheers!
DannyW
dave wall

Post by dave wall »

its an easy job fitting the bonnet, only took me about 30 mins (with a nagging girlfriend helping :))

One thing about the latch though... Mine shuts perfectly when the plastic cowl above the rad is removed. With the plastic cowl in place it doesnt catch properly, so I just left mine off. I think that's the whole point though actually, so the air passes thru the rad and up and out of the hood :)
jonno

Post by jonno »

dave wall wrote:its an easy job fitting the bonnet, only took me about 30 mins (with a nagging girlfriend helping :))

One thing about the latch though... Mine shuts perfectly when the plastic cowl above the rad is removed. With the plastic cowl in place it doesnt catch properly, so I just left mine off. I think that's the whole point though actually, so the air passes thru the rad and up and out of the hood :)

I did exactly the same, including the nagging girlfriend and removing the plastic tray!.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
AM TUNING

Post by AM TUNING »

be cailful with the bonnet pins unless u go for GOOD one they will rust,,
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

I'm just waiting for my nagging girlfriend to get home from shopping to help me with mine! :lol:
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

Hows the Bonnet op going mate ?? :)
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

Not started yet mate. Fitted my HKS SSQV dump valve this morning. Just waiting for Jo to get back to help me with the bonnet. Then ive got to do an oil change as well!

Changing the subject slightly, i was in Halfords in Nuneaton this morning and a young lad got arrested for trying to nick a BMX !!! haha! what a hand jockey!
:D :D :D
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

is she still busy mucking the horses out :pukel: ? i would come and help as im free this afternoon but im sure to get horribly lost in bedworth or something :lol: Where do you do your oil changes? have you got ramps ?

As for that BMX bandit.....lol :lol:
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

Right just got back in from "trying" to fit the bonnet. Didn't have much luck TBH. the bonnet appears to be twisted a bit so it sticks up at one side like Steve's did. and the latch doesnt hold it down at the front either, it just seems to pop back out when i try and push it down. Got a little bit frustrated with it in the end so i just stuck the old one back on and came in for a cup of tea! :(

Mike i have got ramps so i do the oil change outside my house but didn't get time today so it'll wait until next weekend.

Cheers!
DannyW

Return to “Modifications”