Ecotek Valve

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MisterTwo

Ecotek Valve

Post by MisterTwo »

Can anyone please shed any light on how to fit an ecotek valve to my 3sge engine?? Which pipe is the pipe from the brake servo?

Thanks

Dave :wink:
MegatronUK

Re: Ecotek Valve

Post by MegatronUK »

ARGH!! bin it, bin it, bin it!

If putting an unfiltered air inlet into the intake manifold after the throttle body made any difference to performance or economy, Toyota, Ford, Honda and the others would have already done it.

The only thing you'll do is potentially lean out the mixture and possibly make a chav-esque whitstling noise.
MisterTwo

Post by MisterTwo »

ermm, i see where you're coming from there. I got for nothing so i thought is give it ago anyways....just to see if its b@llocks or not.

:D
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

In all seriousness it will do nothing. I suspect that people who have found it increases mpg are merely running around with a leaner mixture - not good.

The difference between that thing and having a regular service & correct tyre pressures will be huge.
michael

Post by michael »

MisterTwo wrote:Can anyone please shed any light on how to fit an ecotek valve to my 3sge engine??

Sure....

1. Keep it in box

2. Randomly place in car somewhere

3. Throw money down drain some more

4. Marvel at pretend increase in performance

5. Smoke your pipe
Last edited by michael on Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MisterTwo

Post by MisterTwo »

ok, ok.....no need for the sarcy comments. Message recieved.

Why is it that no one actually tells you want you want to know? They just give you their opinions on it? :roll:
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Not opinions. Facts based on experience and basic physics.

If you think you're getting better economy you're more likely to drive economical.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

MisterTwo wrote:Why is it that no one actually tells you want you want to know? They just give you their opinions on it? :roll:

Fair play, guv. If you are going to fit the thing, it would be interesting to record before and after fuel economy figures.
Everyone slates the things because we've all read reviews on how pap they are, but I've never known anyone who has actually fitted one.
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by JJ »

If putting an unfiltered air

Some have filters now !!

Lol !! I have a host of products under my bonnet and this guy was convinced an ecotek valve was the way forward.

In his excitement in trying to flog it to me, I thought I'd play along... I asked him to check his technical department and asked if it would work on an MR2 turbo with and air flow meter.

Just as I though, the chap said yes... technical informs it fits without a problem.

Okay.. I asked ...what happens to unmetered air being drawn in ? not a problem he said, it will aid response... I grinned !

What happens when it comes on boost, there will be a gapeing hole in the side of one of my pipes... he says again, not a problem, it will only add response. .... i grinned.

I was obviously talking to someone who works at mcdonalds part time which also has a malfunction of not understanding the term, no pickle.

The thing i don't get, they give you 30 days money back guarantee ... wouldn't they be returned with a "used" item which they cannot resale... ???!!! Good technical department I say.
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
MisterTwo

Post by MisterTwo »

You see where im coming from Nige.

It is research for the benefit of all MO's out there.....im giving up some time and donating fuel in the pursuit of confirming how pap these valves maybe.

:lol:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

ive always found scoring 2 points with a well aimed shot into the scrap bin pretty rewarding with ecotek valves.......oh! just thought of a way to save you money on the cost of one! drill a hole straight into the inlet manifold! same thing! ah ha! i can go one better! dont bother with the hole,just leave your brake servo hose off! the added benefit of that will be less braking effort (if any) and therefore much better fuel economy....however i do find brakes useful on corners/downhill and slowing for pedestrian crossings.

Seriously though,this little piece of sh*t is nothing more than an automotive sugar pill,it leans out the mixture and the very fact you think you have an eco device fitted makes you drive around less heavy footed=more economy.Similar to fitting go faster stripes but in retrospect.It may actually work on some cars that are running around with an overly rich mixture which would see more benefit from a good tune or fault rectification.

Throw it into the bin,if you manage a 3 pointer from outside the area let me know :lol:
MisterTwo

Post by MisterTwo »

Is there a record for longest distance thrown of eco valve into bin? I reckon i've just set it!!! :D
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

LOL. Want opinions from someone who really used one?

When these first came out garage where hubby takes his car fitted one to our then Frontera 'it'll save fuel mate..' OK says we shelling out £70...

We measured our mpg before and after on a Petrol Frontera. Not one fri99ing mpg change. Nothing, nada. We complained - they said 'oh OK it's probably faulty' and sent us another one. We put that on....again not one single mpg change.

We gave up and took it off in the end. Waste of time as everybody says.
T
MisterTwo

Post by MisterTwo »

Thanks Toni!!

Thats one nice little Mk1 you got there!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I try! :D
T
Fizzy

Post by Fizzy »

now ang on a minute - I agree that theyre useless on a turbocharged motor but if tou use them on a modified injection engine they really do help smooth out the lumps in the bhp curve, and stabilise idle on a lumpy cam car - cant comment on economy but have used them on na racers with very good results.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

fizzy have you been experimenting with class A mate?

Return to “Modifications”