just my opinion.

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rogue_zero

just my opinion.

Post by Rogue_zero »

what amazes me is that car manufacturers like Ferrari, Mistu, BMW, Lotus, TVR, Porsche even Mclaren and Williams all spend millions on engine design or modification, aerodynamics, suspension, and yet all they needed was a 12 year old 2 litre 4 cylinder toyota mass produced engine with a few bolt on parts to outperform their current models with 6, 8 and even 12 cylider engines? So many posts here all say I beat this and I beat that that. 12 yr old cars beating 50grand plus supercars? There will be a tubby iin pole position at the next F1 race if some of the stories are to be belived.
A 355 for example with a MR2 engine (surely much lighter) would outperform everything! Wouldnt it? and a recon engine would surely cut down their overheads and that way we would all have one.
Yes some of the cars her are awsome bits of kit, I like The Morris's especially and some are unbeliveably fast too but I cannot belive some of the stories posted here. I am not saying the people are lying, more like the other people wernt trying.
The racing posts here do nothing for the MR2's reputation. Its becoming a the 2 seater Nova for the chav world. And yu know I hate chavs....

Respect to you all..
splashnatz

Re: just my opinion.

Post by splashnatz »

hey man .. you dissing Nova's ??? :D
Rogue_zero

Post by Rogue_zero »

not as an affordale town sized car giving reasonable fuel efficiency with useful load carrying capabilities.

but give one to a chav and it becomes something all together worse...... I have adopted a new pass time. Before I would just laugh at chaved up novas. Now I actually point at the driver so ensure he knows I am laughing directly at his car. If they are standard or have a small amount of usefull modification they are safe. But some of the monstrosities I see. Theres one with more wing area than the new airbus!
Essex MR2

Post by Essex MR2 »

I know what you mean, but I think part of the fun of owning a car as tuneable as the tubby is making it capable of out performing much more expensive cars.

A lot of the new performance cars, Evos, M3s, some Porches, etc. have around 300-350bhp, the tubby came standard with a mere 200bhp (when you take into account uk fuel) but is tuneable in excess of 400-500... even 600bhp if you've got the money to spend (probably about the price of a 355 for that anywy!! lol).

Not disagreeing, just saying that it's more than possible with the right car/driver combination, and probably great fun when it's acheived.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Essex MR2 wrote:I know what you mean, but I think part of the fun of owning a car as tuneable as the tubby is making it capable of out performing much more expensive cars.

A lot of the new performance cars, Evos, M3s, some Porches, etc. have around 300-350bhp, the tubby came standard with a mere 200bhp (when you take into account uk fuel) but is tuneable in excess of 400-500... even 600bhp if you've got the money to spend (probably about the price of a 355 for that anywy!! lol).

Not disagreeing, just saying that it's more than possible with the right car/driver combination, and probably great fun when it's acheived.

But all you are doing is outperforming them in a straightline, I don't see any point to that. Go up against a porker round a track and you'll likely get whooped big time.

Oh and Roguezero they are likely to be lying i'd say. Or the other angle to maybe take is that whoever they 'racing' up the local dual carriageway with may not in fact be 'racing' etc..
Essex MR2

Post by Essex MR2 »

But all you are doing is outperforming them in a straightline, I don't see any point to that. Go up against a porker round a track and you'll likely get whooped big time.

Not necessarily..... it all depends how big your wallet is. Some people spend fortunes on older cars, just so that they can waste porkers etc around a track, when they could've just bought one in the first place. But a lot of people I've met at different track days and shows just do it for the 'suprise' factor, and those people wouldn't drive anything else!
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

Rogue_zero,

thats similar to how I feel when I used to read about cars going on about how they beat porsches etc. I always say what if the porsche etc had done the equivilent mods to their car. Story over.

On the other hand I have posted about having a go at a 04 plate M3. I beat it, yes it was in straight line. I am happy with the performance of the car. Yes it was a long straight with a roundabout in the middle. He was gunning it, it was he who instigated the race.

I also beat my friends elise round the twisties. I will be the first to say my coilovers probably had something to do with that. well probably everything. I couldn't keep up before hand. We both give it some stick on that part of the road that I over took him whilst on the outside of a bend. He'll own up to losing and I'll own up to the coilovers being great :)

Also you can never really tell whether someone is actually opening up their car. Just because you floor it and they seem to be keeping up then you get away doesn't necesarily mean they were racing. Maybe they were just accelerating as they had more room all of a sudden.

Unfortunatly this forum seems to gained in these types of posts since the change over. Nothing we can do. Even the change in rules/name for this section doesn't seem to have helped.

Cheers,

N
turbomartin

Post by turbomartin »

Another thing to remember is that all the "supercars" are designed to drive at 150mph all day on the autobahn, or to do speeds in excess of 200mph, and still maintain reliability and comfort. Its easy to build a quick car with no comfort (e.g. Caterham), or to tune an MR2 to produce silly amounts of power with an engine that will last for a couple of runs up a drag strip and then blow up!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

*cough* yes well some of us are spending silly amounts on an MR2 engine in the hope of fairly big power and a bit of longevity :)

But I know what you're saying.
T
The Morris

Post by The Morris »

Amusing.

The thing is if you own a porsche of Ferrari you dont do them up, so they all tend to be standard. But most of us are modified to different levels. This gives us the chance to keep up and wipe off their smug smiles. I know my car is not as fast as a ferrari, but it can give it a go. in my story of the porsche i only kept up till 100. which i think is feesible seeing it was out of a roundabout and not a standing start.

I think they are fun to read and see how youre 2 can get on :D
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

I know of a modified porsche RS2 which is a monster. It's owned by the guy who did my alram system.

Also I wouldn't expect a Ferarri to be modified. But, you never know ...

http://www.tdi-plc.com/ferrari360.html

Also I meant porsches and EVO/Impreza's etc. I used to always read about these max muppetts going on about how they kept up with those sort of vehicles. It got ridiculous. I thought stuff it. Waste of my money reading those mags.
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

year 2000 911 twin turbo (specs for a US car - sorry)

309.5 kw / 415 bhp @ 6000 rpm
1579 kg / 3480 lbs
top speed 304.2 kph / 189.0 mph
0 - 60 mph 4.0 seconds
0 - 100 mph 9.2 seconds
0 - 1/4 mile 12.4 seconds

- not really that far from a nicely modded mr2 is it ? look at some timeslips think theres a few mr2 running in the 12's.

So can a tubby keep up with the Porsche on the road ?
The Morris

Post by The Morris »

If it does 0-100 in 9.2 sec, why is the 1/4 mile 12.4, surely it would be doing it in 11 secs
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

maybe it felt like sulking LOL ! i don't know why TBH. :) Those were the specs i was given for that car though (www.supercars.net) ... i would also have thought that european models may generate a little more hp than US spec ...
ryan

Post by ryan »

Rogue_zero wrote:what amazes me is that car manufacturers like Ferrari, Mistu, BMW, Lotus, TVR, Porsche even Mclaren and Williams all spend millions on engine design or modification, aerodynamics, suspension, and yet all they needed was a 12 year old 2 litre 4 cylinder toyota mass produced engine with a few bolt on parts to outperform their current models with 6, 8 and even 12 cylider engines? So many posts here all say I beat this and I beat that that. 12 yr old cars beating 50grand plus supercars? There will be a tubby iin pole position at the next F1 race if some of the stories are to be belived.
A 355 for example with a MR2 engine (surely much lighter) would outperform everything! Wouldnt it? and a recon engine would surely cut down their overheads and that way we would all have one.
Yes some of the cars her are awsome bits of kit, I like The Morris's especially and some are unbeliveably fast too but I cannot belive some of the stories posted here. I am not saying the people are lying, more like the other people wernt trying.
The racing posts here do nothing for the MR2's reputation. Its becoming a the 2 seater Nova for the chav world. And yu know I hate chavs....

Respect to you all..

Rogur Zero,
You can't compare a supercar with a budget sports car. Toyota raided it corporate parts bin to make the MR2 and spent nothing like what Ferarri spend on car development, I wouldn't have thought :?
Also as was pointed out, the bigger engines will cope with prolonged higher speeds, so there is no way i'd imagine a 4 banger appearing in F1.
In gear performance and torque is also the V6/8/10 trump card I should imagine and this is what a std tubby would be lacking in comparison. Also quality of finish etc will also show the poor MR2 up when comparing to cars such as Astons etc. However I return to my point, you cant compare an MR2 to a supercar, its 'horses for courses' i'm afraid :(
Rogue_zero

Post by Rogue_zero »

Im not comparing the two, you misread my post. I am only pointing out that there have been cases of OTHER people compairing their cars to supercars. My point was at the difficulty I have with some of the stories I read on here. Remember the guy with the "styles"? Thats what I mean. The stories that go " I raced a 500hp supercar in my standard MR2 and won" no you didnt they didnt try or by matching the rediculous speeds claimed here showed you that although you try they still have spare capacity. Im all for maximising a cars potential, but really, some of the stories here begger belief!
As i said before there are some very fast examples here and I belive that some of them can do their claimed speeds. What I dislike is the hero worship given to people so irresponsible as to risk their lives and the effect on families for a quick thrill. Take it to the track where the skill of the driver is tested not the mechanics of the car. I bet Lauren in a could outdrive most people, myself included. Thats driver skill. Wheres the skill in terminal speed?

I will make this perfectly clear.
I do not belive half the stories posted here, and feel that they distract from the enjoyment of owning a car like the MR2 can generate. When the MR2 is the fully adopted boy racer car of choice i will say I told you so. Check the replies, there are people who agree.

By the way, I dont like ferraries very much anyway!
ryan

Post by ryan »

I agree with you regarding some of the stories, however I point to the Rogue Systems Tubby vs Clarksons AMG 55 (500bhp), in reference to your doubt as to supercar matching performance, well up to 80mph anyway! :lol:
As for the MR2 being the up and coming 'boyracer' car, i'm not really that bothered. These cars mean different things to different people. Besides I cant see any spotty 17 year old affording the insurance long term on a tubby for instance. Also how long do you think it will take him/her to wrap the car around a lampost with the MR layout that their Nova simply didn't have.
The 'stories' are never taken too seriously by myself, all I can say is you have the option of whether you read them or not, either way getting rid of this section won't stop any MR2 vs Mclaren F1 on the M4 posts!! :lol:

Remember that Aaron guy :lol: :lol:
llenrub

Post by llenrub »

I've had a number of exotic cars over the years and still have a fairly nice one. But, as already said, expensive exotic cars provide an allround package to last for years. Modifying my MR2 is just a hobby. Anyone pushing 300 or more HP on an MR2 will have a car to match most cars up to £50k, they just wont have the reliability!
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

ENSMR2 wrote:
I over took him whilst on the outside of a bend.

erm.. aint you a rozzer enis? [-X
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

ENSMR2 wrote:Also I wouldn't expect a Ferarri to be modified. But, you never know

8)

Jay

Return to “Driving Experiences”