Joining the DUKE club - 360 gone belly up

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dave Couzens

Joining the DUKE club - 360 gone belly up

Post by Dave Couzens »

Brilliant, after 18 months of extra cooled use my 360 has decided to give up the ghost and drop in the ring of death. :evil:

Really impressed with the brillaint build quality - slow claps for microsoft all round.

And the timting a week or so before xmas - awesome, so i'll get that back in about February then.

Stone cold f##king jokers.

Can anyone advise the turnaround times they've had with microcrap?
THE DUKE

Re: Joining the DUKE club - 360 gone belly up

Post by THE DUKE »

Turn around for 3 lights of death is normally 7 days.. As its Xmas expect that to turn into 7 Months!! Sorry man :(
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

What is the proceedure with this if it happens?

Out of interest, of your 18 months, how much do you use it on average?

Have Microsoft ever indentified the actual cause of the error when they go belly up?
MartG

Post by MartG »

My son's one went belly up on Tuesday ( just when the new Halo 3 maps were released - luckily his brother's one is still OK ) :roll:

Look here for how to log the problem http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907534
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Do you need to provide a purchase reciept when applying for a repair?
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Bad luck Dave. You seemed to be having a good run with your's and you play a fair bit too!

Properly xxxx timing or what though! I expect mine will die on Christmas day just as soon as Jo tries to play Guitar Hero or something.

I made sure I chopped my old one in at Game before it went over a year, it would freeze on the odd occasion but I wasnt going to take the risk.

Jags cap in the post to Bill Gates! nnnnnmmmmmmmmgggggggnnnnnn duuur
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I just found out mine was first bought in February 2006.
Never had a problem with mine (touch wood)

Seems to be a spate of them going wrong at the moment though, hence my interest in the situation lol.
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

its completly random how and when it happens eg, i was playing battle field 2 when my first one died it was working perfect never crashed or froze, i went in the shower came back out and when i turned it on i got the rrod.
they collected it and sent me a new 1 within a week :thumleft: bad thing is that died 4 days later.
u dont need a reciet u just ring and tell them the serial number on the back and they will email you a ticket which you print out and stick on the box, some one from ups will collect it the same day or the next day depending when you rang.
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

matt_mr2t wrote:What is the proceedure with this if it happens?

Have Microsoft ever indentified the actual cause of the error when they go belly up?

I rang them and gave them details - as H3RB says i'm no waiting for them to send me the labels to print out.

I use it a fair bit to be honest, on average probably 15 hours a week I reckon.

As far as I was aware the issue originally lay with poor soldering that when the unit got hot it overheated and then softened the solder which resulted in it packing in.

I thought this issue has been addresses mid 2006 when they changed the supplier of the dvd drives (think they went to an Hitachi drive IIRC). I had one of these untis. I've had that bolt on intercooler since day one with the intention of stopping this overheat problems, so not sure exactly why I have this issue now.
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

Bender Unit wrote:Bad luck Dave. You seemed to be having a good run with your's and you play a fair bit too!

Properly xxxx timing or what though! I expect mine will die on Christmas day just as soon as Jo tries to play Guitar Hero or something.

I made sure I chopped my old one in at Game before it went over a year, it would freeze on the odd occasion but I wasnt going to take the risk.

Jags cap in the post to Bill Gates! nnnnnmmmmmmmmgggggggnnnnnn duuur

Tell me about it - you just need to then smash the guitar through the tv and ring microsoft saying that it had "shorted out" :D

Jegs cap stapled to his mumblemouth mutherf##cking head I reckon...

Of course, I never get angry anbout these things.

Microcrap have advised a 2 week turnaround though. Assuming that they get one of their trained mutants to send me the bloody labels some time today...
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

matt_mr2t wrote:I just found out mine was first bought in February 2006.
Never had a problem with mine (touch wood)

Seems to be a spate of them going wrong at the moment though, hence my interest in the situation lol.

That's exactly what I said to a mate about 2 weeks ago!! Just wait for the complete powerloss whilst midway through some online play. Stitched by the system.
Last edited by Dave Couzens on Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Dont really do online play tbh so wouldnt bother me!
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

Dave Couzens wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:What is the proceedure with this if it happens?

I rang them and gave them details - as H3RB says i'm no waiting for them to send me the labels to print out.

I use it a fair bit to be honest, on average probably 15 hours a week I reckon.

As far as I was aware the issue originally lay with poor soldering that when the unit got hot it overheated and then softened the solder which resulted in it packing in.

I thought this issue has been addresses mid 2006 when they changed the supplier of the dvd drives (think they went to an Hitachi drive IIRC). I had one of these untis. I've had that bolt on intercooler since day one with the intention of stopping this overheat problems, so not sure exactly why I have this issue now.

theyve always used hitatchi drives since day 1 it was only hitatchi and samsung drives but now the newest consoles use a benq dvd drive
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Lets hope the ew Elite doesnt go the same way.
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

theyve always used hitatchi drives since day 1 it was only hitatchi and samsung drives but now the newest consoles use a benq dvd drive

Ok, fair play.
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

Know EXACTLY how you feel Dave mate. I'm on my 3rd 360 now.

The build quality is utter rubbish and p*ss poor. If the 360 didn't have so many good games and great online gaming I wouldn't buy one!

Not sure on the turn around time this close to xmas but my last one (only afew weeks ago) took 15 days from pick up to new drop off.

The 1st time it took about 10 days.

Good luck mate. :thumleft:
Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

Well I'm now waiting for xbox to send the labels to me for my courier pick up as their gash website doesn't work.

You managed to sell your premium now? The dude I asked about buying it off you went and bought a wii instead. It's now whether I give in and buy an elite in my impatience as I was so close to rank 55 on COD.
Last edited by Dave Couzens on Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

i'll sell you my elite and post it on mon for you
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

Dave Couzens wrote:Well I'm now waiting for xbox to send the labels to me for my courier pick up as their gash website doesn't work.

You managed to sell your premium now? The dude I asked about buying it off you went and bought a wii instead. It's now whether I give in and buy an elite in my impatience as I was so close to rank 55 on COD.

Exactly what I did mate! Couldn't be bothered to wait and always said I'd get an Elite so perfect chance to! :mrgreen:

You getting the labels via email mate? Thats how they normally send them. I got mine the same day as I phoned them. :thumleft:
Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

TADTS.

Isn't the problem down to poor design which causes overheating? Ie the DVD drive partially covers a heat sink or something like that?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “Games Consoles”