How to change the engine

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

aguiloco

How to change the engine

Post by aguiloco »

Hi, I´m planning on buying a MR2 with the engine blown, can anyone tell me how to take the engine out? above or below the car?

I'll could do the engine swap only with the car on the ground...

Thanks a lot!
Ekona

Re: How to change the engine

Post by Ekona »

We normally drop it out below. Disconnect everything, lower the engine, then hoist the back end of the car up and slide the engine out.
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

So, you can do it just with a crane for the engine and jacking the rear of the car? No need for one of those electric full car cranes from workshops?
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Oh god no, we've used a block and tackle attached to an RSJ to lift the car and just dropped the engine out onto a movable tray underneath.
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

That sound like something I can't do at my backyard... Thanks for the information!

Apart for the blown engine car there is two or three 2000-2001 model with more than 100.000 miles with a reasonable price. I know about the piston rings and pre-cat issues on some early models, could those cars came with good engines? I think the defective ones should be broken with that milleage, ¿right?

Before any purchase I will check compression and the ceramic of the pre-cats.

Thanks a lot.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

In theory, I would tend to agree that any high-mileage car that hasn't shown problems by now probably isn't going to. The only caveat I can think of is where the pre-cats have started to go and the engine has ingested some of the particles, but the owner has realised this and quickly swapped the manifold over for a new one. That way you'd inspect and you'd see a brand new manifold and an otherwise healthy car, and the oil usage would only show up on a longer journey.

That's an extreme though, granted.
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

+1 on the block and tackle method as thats the setup I have at the moment :thumleft:

I'd be very careful with buying a pre facelift mk3 to be honest.... Get someone to follow you on a test drive to see if the car is smoking.. Also don't drive the car like an old granny on the test drive, you need to drive it as it is meant to be driven to show signs of oil burning

Good luck with the search dude
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

It's a sad thing that the first series came with that engine issues, but I really like the pre facelift model over the most modern. Also even with an engine that is possibly dying but still working the price of one 2001 model plus the cost of installing another engine with low mileage from a celica is cheaper than any 2004 2005 model. More work but cheaper after all.

How much time could take to swap the engine? there are some well equiped garages that you can rent for hours.

I will test the cars as you guys said, hope to find something good, will post about it.

Thanks a lot.
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

I'm no mechanic so my estimate may be completely off

But I reckon I could remove my engine and replace it in a working day.. Provided I had everything I needed here
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

In a day is easily done, providing you have all the right tools and nothing goes wrong.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I'd suggest on a 100K 10 year old car there would be a fair few bolts that would be an absolute xxxxxx though. :mrgreen:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

aguiloco wrote:So, you can do it just with a crane for the engine and jacking the rear of the car? No need for one of those electric full car cranes from workshops?

Front wheels in tyres, rear air jacks up two levels. Should take ~4 hours...

Rogue Motorsport / Forza 4 - Toyota MR2 - Britcar 24 Hours 2012 by Trackside70, on Flickr

:wink:
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

Rogue wrote:
aguiloco wrote:So, you can do it just with a crane for the engine and jacking the rear of the car? No need for one of those electric full car cranes from workshops?

Front wheels in tyres, rear air jacks up two levels. Should take ~4 hours...

Rogue Motorsport / Forza 4 - Toyota MR2 - Britcar 24 Hours 2012 by Trackside70, on Flickr

:wink:

so all parts supplied you'll do an engine swap for 4 hours labour charge? :D
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

That's a good way to do it, I'm feeling confident about it.
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

I made it! this is my "new" car, 140K miles on it but still runing, nice boby and interior, only one owner. The cheapest running MR2 with hardtop at my country.

I can't post photos... new member...

First thing to do, check the pre-cat!!!
psummers

Post by psummers »

Rogue wrote:Should take ~4 hours...

Pfft, amateurs! You should take some tips from these guys :clown:

http://youtu.be/te48ucoEvFI?t=53s
frogger

Post by frogger »

Completely possible with just jacks and axle stands.
Swapped 2 this way in recent months with no issues.

You just have to take the whole car lower to get the engine sitting on the floor (or pallet) then unbolt the engine and jack the car up higher, raising it off the engine until you have enough clearance to get it out (which isn't very high with the rear beam unbolted).
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

Nice, I'll have no problem with that, meanwhile the actual engine still running, saving money for another one anyway.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”