Date of birth on profile

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rowland

Date of birth on profile

Post by Rowland »

Someimes I for one would like to know if I'm talking & replying to a man/woman with a passion for the Toyota MR2, or a teenage dreamer...
Apart from annoying txt speak and complete lack of grammar it can be hard to know at times :cry:
JohnnyC

Re: Date of birth on profile

Post by JohnnyC »

Year of birth might be better, and less likely to be abused.
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

This should be pretty easy to do. It would be an optional field though...

I will mark it down on the to do list. I am in the middle of one very very big change and that is eating all my time so I will not say when this will get done but it will at some stage.
craig

Post by craig »

Rowland_W wrote:Someimes I for one would like to know if I'm talking & replying to a man/woman with a passion for the Toyota MR2, or a teenage dreamer...
Apart from annoying txt speak and complete lack of grammar it can be hard to know at times :cry:

:thumright:
Jon S

Post by Jon S »

I'm going to be 21 again! :lol:
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Nice idea Rowland - I thought along similar lines.

I bet it'd be a shock to find out how old some of the bodies on here are. :wink:
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by craig »

Nige wrote:Nice idea Rowland - I thought along similar lines.

I bet it'd be a shock to find out how old some of the bodies on here are. :wink:

Having said that, there would be nothing to stop dreamers putting in a fake date/year etc?

so you wouldn't know if your were talkin to a muppet or not? apart from the givaway text speal!!! :lol: :lol:
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

Nige wrote:Nice idea Rowland - I thought along similar lines.

Could this thread be classed as sexist an ageist....?
Dave (old fart) :lol:
450wbhp comming soon
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Well it won't be compulsory, and won't be used as the basis of any decisions (oooh look he's over 40 chuck him out!!) or anything :D

LOL
T
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

RedMR² wrote:Having said that, there would be nothing to stop dreamers putting in a fake date/year etc?

What benefit would that be to people?

Post by shafster »

woo hoo, im gonna be 5 again :twisted:
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

You meen you made 5 once allready................ :lol:
450wbhp comming soon
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

hmmmmmm. :?

But what if say, I give out perfectly good info, they click the profile and see, oh, he's only so young, he can't know whats he's talking about.

I don't want people not listening to what I say just because of my age IYSWIM.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

I can see your point, but as long as what you've originally written shows a modicum of intelligence, I don't think there's a problem.
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I'm not sure age is at all necessary in all honesty. Not that i'm bothered whether people know my age or not.. ;)

Gender may be a better one, was more thinking of Toni as she suffers from misreading of her name fairly regularly. Much the same happened to Al. But really these are isolated cases so i'm not convinced that its needed either.
adamh

Post by adamh »

i dont have a problem with people of any age, there are some smart kids about for sure. teenage dreamers are the same as most used to be, if someone put a stop to my teenage dreams i wouldn't be happy!, dream away on toyota, support the site, commercial through fare, it all helps. I can see with respect to time wasting, but then we all like a jest.
what really does my brain in, and with no reference to anyone.. is the abbreviations of language, i always take them the wrong way as i know barely half of what they all mean.. i took TBH as 'thatsbu....' the other day, having to read a thread and analyse these little abv's !!! its really trying sometimes!..
theres one up there ! a few threads up 'what does it mean?! IYSWIM yeh it'l become immidiately apparent when u say, but thats no good, im left wastin time trying to decipher!, better things to do with time,..
contrary.. see how many words it takes to half clearly explain something,

its as long as it is broad.. (<----- i should have just typed that and you'd all know i meant right?!!)

if it helped that issue, then i would be for it, but we all abv stuff, so it wouldnt cure anything i dont agree with!. guess i'll have to brush up on the IMOCRS.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Well said Adam.

I agree it simply does not matter whether you are 19 or 85. Know what you mean about abbreviations and i do admit to being guilty over that. I guess though its something that you inevitably pick up if you spend too much time on forums! ;)

A quick guide may be helpful for abbreviations but then theres the argument that maybe we shouldn't use them. On other places i frequent a lot of the language is very abbreviation heavy so i only use what i consider as well known ones that are used in everyday webspeak.

IYSWIM=If you see what i mean
TBH= to be honest
IMO = in my opinion
IME=in my experience
AFAIK= as far as i know
IIRC= if i remember correctly
lurcher10

Post by lurcher10 »

Well, that`s something I`ve learned today... :)

Geoff... DOF (Doddering old fart)
adamh

Post by adamh »

A quick guide may be helpful for abbreviations but then theres the argument that maybe we shouldn't use them. On other places i frequent a lot of the language is very abbreviation heavy so i only use what i consider as well known ones that are used in everyday webspeak.

maybe consider a sticky in a dark corner of the site!

at the moment, there's no discrimination on the site, the most people have is where you live and what motor you have. I think its great, and a success the way it is. although there may be a good administrative reason for including age ?
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Adamh, couldn't agree with you more. A sticky is not required, just ask people to write in understandable English. This crappy abbreviation speak gets on my nerves. I really don't understand it, what is the person writing it going to do with the extra 5 seconds they have gained in their life? It's all nonsense.

Return to “Club News and Announcements”