Electric window problem

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

garym01

Electric window problem

Post by garym01 »

Hi guys, can you help.

I have a Rev 3 Turbo, my windows stopped working and found the 30a Fuse in footwell had blown. i replaced it then my passenger window started working, driver side still not, held down the button for a while and it blew the fuse again.

Any ideas

Gary
Dame

Re: Electric window problem

Post by Dame »

There are several things you can check. If you're managing to blow a 30A fuse the likely cause is a short circuit of some sort. Try checking the following:

1) The wires that pass from the door frame into the door. these are located in a rubber sheath, so you will need to remove this and pull it back over the wires. Check to see if any have broken or have worn away their outer plastic sheathing. Replace these as neccessary. I've replaced mine recently by pullking off the door panels, and the panels in the driver footwell to locate where the wires pass through, then simply cut out the damaged section and replace with new wiring.

2) Door switches, the contacts could be worn, or possily bent out of place causing a short circuit between the power input wires. Check the operation of the switch with a multimetre continuity setting. Details on how to do this are in the workshop manual which you can obtain on CD from ebay (expect to pay arpound £5 - £10.

3) Operation of the motor, this contains a roll up sensor for the window. A problem in here could also cause a short, or the motor might not be shutting off properly, causing the fuse to blow. Refer to the manual for checking its operation.

Hope this helps......
garym01

Post by garym01 »

Thanks for the help, i have located the fault, it is my clifford alarm that is causing the short.
brummypetepie

Post by brummypetepie »

garym01 wrote:Hi guys, can you help.

I have a Rev 3 Turbo, my windows stopped working and found the 30a Fuse in footwell had blown. i replaced it then my passenger window started working, driver side still not, held down the button for a while and it blew the fuse again.

Any ideas

Gary

Hi mate

My passenger window also isnt working, could you let me know where the fuse is in the footwell?

Mines a rev2 tubby, so would it be the same?

Thanks

Pete
garym01

Post by garym01 »

drivers side well, next to bonnet catch
brummypetepie

Post by brummypetepie »

garym01 wrote:drivers side well, next to bonnet catch

Cheers, just checked and the fuse is OK, so it looks like Ill be trying a new door motor then............

Pete
garym01

Post by garym01 »

before you do have a look at the window switch, underneath it is clear plastic, check for scorch marks, if there is any then its just the switch unit you need to replace, its just a module that unclips from the switch itself.

if not then you will be the motor. try to active the switch if the motor gets hot then thats a sure sign.

Gary Moore

Return to “Electrical”